Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm sure everyone's getting sick of these guys by now)

Working on fine tuning my Thousand Sons... I currently have nearly 3000 points of Thousand Sons, but I'm trying to fine tune everything down to my favorite 2000, as it were. I try to make a 'fluffy' list, and I don't use demons or heavy mutations, unless I can fluff it away.

Chaos Sorcerer - 177
Term Armor, Force Sword, Combi-* MoTz, Lvl3, Spell Familiar, VotLW

Terminators (Sorcerer's Retinue) - 136
x2+1
All w/ Power Axe & Combi-*, MoTz, VotLW

Thousand Sons - 242
x8+1

Thousand Sons - 242
x8+1

Thousand Sons - 242
x8+1

Noise Marines - 154
x5+1
Sonic Blaster x4, Blastmaster x1

Noise Marines - 154
x5+1
Sonic Blaster x4, Blastmaster x1

Obliterator Cult x2 - 156
MoTz

Obliterator Cult x2 - 156
MoTz

Heldrake - 170
Baleflamer

Heldrake - 170
Baleflamer

1999 total.

I do have the points for 3 Rhinos for my Rubrics, if I ditch the Terminators and some upgrades... but I'm not really a fan of wheeled boxes....

oh, and those combis? probably melta or plasma. hadn't decided yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I really like this list. I agree with you on the rhino issue, 1k sons are suppose to advance slowly on foot, bringing death to all! Are you going with telepathy on your sorcerer?
Have you used this list yet? If so, how did you do? I'm toying with the idea of playing a tzeentch army myself.
I know that sons aren't the most cost efficient unit in the game, but I think they make up for it in awesomeness.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I disagree about Rhinos. I feel they are a huge advantage as they make up for one of 1ksons faults, which is they are painfully slow. But to each there own.
I realise there is an argument for footslogging them depending on what other troop choices you have. But if you are just using 1ksons as your sole troop choices then I would strongly advise getting them rhinos. Why? Because you aren't going to be able to contest objectives in enemy deployment zones or even midfield objectives in some cases, assuming you are using standard table sizes and scenery for this point size. It's also quite easy for a more mobile opponent to isolate 1ksons on foot and then direct small arms fire at them, which is the bane of 1ksons I am sure you are aware.
I know 1ksons can't get out Rhinos, rapid fire then charge (which is what makes them so great IMO) since it isn't an assault vehicle, but they can give you a vital turn of mobility, then you can disembark and use the Rhinos tactically to block LOS and/or any assaults for a turn before jumping out from behind and letting rip with the rapid fire ap3 and then attempting to charge. This is my favorite way of using 1ksons and the most effective by far I have tried. I always take Ahriman as I don't care what people say about him being overpriced, Invisibility on a 1ksons squad along with puppet master and/or Hallucination is hilariously fun and makes for an absolute beast of a unit. You can rapid fire, charge, and then all your opponents are WS1 in ensuing combat lol I have actually killed a hammernator squad doing this before taking minimal casualties.
At the worst, he's fun.

As for fluff: Nothing wrong with using Daemons, as Ahriman has no real issue with his friend using one in the book "Ahriman: Exile" to rescue him from Amon and then take over his warband and fleet...You can quite easily justify using Daemons from a fluff perspective, I think. Especially if they are Tzeentch Daemons.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Couple points here. One being your noise marine setup. I highly recommend running them bare bones with a bm to sit back on objectives (125 pts) or to run 6 of them with 5 sonic blasters (127 pts). Blast masters are expensive and the types of things you'd want to be clearin out with sonic blasters (hordes, weak units in cover) you don't necessarily want your 30 pt weapon firing at.

Also, one of the biggest boons to a 1kson list is doubling up on sorcerers for cheap. Even power armor ones with ml3 are cheap and can easily boost a regular squad of sons.

I'm all for using rhinos. Gives you protection from small arms fire, forces opponent to use AT fire on them instead of your oblits, and when they get out the rhino, they can fire and the rhino can flat out move in front of them blocking return fire.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose I'd probably feel better about them if they were Razorbacks... I realize they wouldn't move full squads, but Rhinos jsut feel so much like easy kill points, and then my Rubrics are being thrown around in fiery explosions.

Currently, my Noise Marines are set up where I only 12 Sonic Blasters, 3 Blastmasters, and 3 Champions with Doom Sirens, BP/CCW. So yes, I could run 5+1 with just Sonics, but I don't have any marines designed that way to just be Blastmaster delivery systems, sadly. Considering the Rubrics had so much small arms fire already, I never really considered -just- running Sonics for salvo fire. I could peel them off, certainly, and add in other units... I have a squad of Raptors that are marines on fiery whirlwinds (sorcerer assault packs, yo!), and I have 6 Obliterators... I even have a Contemptor. I just kind of liked using the Noise Marines ebcause they're some of my favorite conversion work.

Straken: I haven't read Ahriman: Exile yet. Most of my fluff comes from the HH novels, and the utter determination to avoid all things mutation

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, isn't only 1 scenario now kill points? I mean , yes, first blood is an issue, but the pros outweigh the cons. Rhinos boost the 1ksons so much, especially when used as screening units in the flat out move as Ravener explains.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about going on a variation of this list at this point:

Ahriman

Rubric Marines
8+1

Rubric Marines
8+1

Rubric Marines
8+1

Noise Marines
7+1, 6 Sonic, 1 BM

Noise Marines
7+1, 6 Sonic, 1 BM

Heldrake
Baleflamer

Heldrake
Baleflamer

Obliterators
x2, MoTz

Obliterators
x2, MoTz

1996 pts

Still no Rhinos, trying to keep external costs down for buying wheeled boxes. Basically Ahriman becomes my 'transport', allowing at least one squad and maybe more to at least get a little closer to start. I like using the Noise Marines with both sets of guns for two reasons: I dont have any modeled with bolters, and it's like adding a missile launcher to sternguard. It can handle anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts