Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SW are my new army so wanted to run an army list by you guys.

HQ: Rune priest w Master of runes, Combi-melta, chooser of the slain, JOTWW, living lightning - 165

Rune priest w Master of the runes, combi-plasma, chooser of the slain, JOTWW, Murderous hurricane - 165

Rune priest w Master of the runes, murderous hurricane, living lightning - 150

Elite: 10 man wolf guard w 6 combi-melta, 4 combi-plasma, 6 PF, 4 PW, Drop pod - 445
Breaks off to the 5 GH squads and the other 5 go into drop pod.

5 man wolf guard w 3 Combi-melta, 2 combi-plasma, 2 PF, 3 PW, Drop pod - 220.
Keeps the first squad company.

Troops: 8 GH w meltagun, PW, Wolf standard, rhino - 185
First rune priest and wolf guard goes here

8 GH w meltagun, PW, WS, rhino - 185
third rune priest and wolf guard goes here

wolf guard here

7 GH w plasmagun, PW, WS, Rhino - 190
second runepriest and wolf guard here

Wolf guard here

HS: 6 LF, with 5 ML - 140

6 LF, with 5 ML - 140

6 LF, with 3 ML and 2 PC - 160
Total: 2490
I think the rune priest psychic abilty combos were the best i could think off all the others seemed a little useless. I was thinking of some LS but i didnt think they would be too useful as they would be easy KP and expensive for a SW weapon.
Any CC is welcome

·
Registered
324 Posts
SW are my new army so wanted to run an army list by you guys.

HQ: Rune priest w Master of runes, Combi-melta, chooser of the slain, JOTWW, living lightning - 165

master of runes is useless with those 2 powers, you can only shoot one each turn, so get rid of that. Combi melta is pretty useless too with those 2 powers since you'll want to be casting every turn.

Rune priest w Master of the runes, combi-plasma, chooser of the slain, JOTWW, Murderous hurricane - 165

again, master of runes is useless, so is combi plasma

Rune priest w Master of the runes, murderous hurricane, living lightning - 150

again, drop master of runes

Elite: 10 man wolf guard w 6 combi-melta, 4 combi-plasma, 6 PF, 4 PW, Drop pod - 445
Breaks off to the 5 GH squads and the other 5 go into drop pod.

this unit is pretty crazy expensive and since you only have 2 pod units this one will come down first turn and get slaughtered.

5 man wolf guard w 3 Combi-melta, 2 combi-plasma, 2 PF, 3 PW, Drop pod - 220.
Keeps the first squad company.

there won't be much to keep company to.

Troops: 8 GH w meltagun, PW, Wolf standard, rhino - 185
First rune priest and wolf guard goes here

third rune priest and wolf guard goes here

wolf guard here

second runepriest and wolf guard here

Wolf guard here

these squads seem ok, if a little overspent in points. GHs are nice and all but they won't kill dedicated CC units, so you can't rely on them to do that.

HS: 6 LF, with 5 ML - 140

6 LF, with 5 ML - 140

6 LF, with 3 ML and 2 PC - 160

these are good, not sure about the plama cannons, but if you like them go ahead

Total: 2490
I think the rune priest psychic abilty combos were the best i could think off all the others seemed a little useless. I was thinking of some LS but i didnt think they would be too useful as they would be easy KP and expensive for a SW weapon.
Any CC is welcome
well, fixing the rune priests will get you about 175 points to play with. The problem I see with this army is that at 2500 points you don't really have any of the killy stuff. your GHs are ok in CC, but they'll die to real CC units, your long fangs shoot a lot of missiles but in the end it's suppressive fire, and your WG squads are crazy expensive and will go in unsupported. Also you only have 5 rhinos which at 2500 they'll get picked on rather easily. I would get rid of one of the priests entirely then give your long fangs a Las/plas razorback. These you can use as battletanks or to carry the fangs in DoW setup. that will give you some more firepower and mobile cover for your rhinos.

Give one of your priests Storm Caller. The 5+ coversave is quite nice when given from a rhino in the back to give cover to the stuff in front so you have 5+ cover in the front of the formation and 4+ behind that.

give your wolf guard units a razorback as well and get a 3rd one (so you'll have 6 RBs)

your other option is to use the points from the detooling of priests and wolf guard to get a bunch of cavalry. if you get rid of your wolf guard, the tooling on the priests and one priest entirely you can get 3 good units of TWC, which will give you some CC punch.

as it is, your army is lacking focus and using up too many points in non-efficient ways. You should decide on a focus and go for it

Hope that helps,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts