Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i felt i ahd to do this list tho i doupt i will ever have enoguht tanks to field it anytime soon (a total of 11 eldar Grav tanks!!!:shok:)

So here is what i have;
Autarch w/ Fuison gun, Mandiblasters, Power sword - 100pts
5 Dragons w/ Fire pike exarch - 100pts
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Bright Lance, Star engines, Vecroid Engines, Shuriken Cannon - 170pts
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Bright Lance, Star engines, Vecroid Engines, Shuriken Cannon - 170pts
Falcon w/ Shuriken Cannon, Scatter laser, Star engines - 160pts
[Mechnised Assualt spearhead]
[Tank Hunter Spearhead]
Fire Prism w/ Holo-fields - 150pts

Total - 2500pts
Can you say Chesse. It's obvious what it does. everythign deals with tanks with the Falcons dealing with any horde and possibly light tanks too. I'm not sure on the Autarch. Had 100pts left over i wasn't sur eon takign another fire dragon unit and putting them in a falcon.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'd lose the Fire Pike Exarchs, bonus range for a single model in an entire squad that wants to be in Melta range isn't much for 20 points. You could get another guy in there for that and still have points left over. That's 100 points all together you could spend on something else.

I would say the same thing about the Vectored Engines, but I wager that the first chance you get you are going to go 36" right into their faces trying to get those Dragons stuck in. In all likelihood, those Vectored Engines will be a waste as the likelihood of any glancing or penetrating hit to get an immobilized result is only 1/12 if you include the 4+ save. But that may be a justified point sink to ensure you're close enough the next turn.

Have you considered letting the Falcons do the Tank Hunter job? Sure they won't be S 10 (adding the Penetration bonus here) or anything, but they could still pack a few S 9's (one being Lance) and suffer less from a Weapon Destroyed result. That's the biggest disadvantage to the list really. In a game of tanks, they aren't going to sit by and watch those Prisms take their shots. Expect damage done to them early.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well who said this army will sit bay and shoot. I will be dotting all over the place and the V engines are to stop me losing the whole unit. a total of 100+ points to protect almost all of the army is worht the points i feel.
I will almost always take a Exarch. the +1BS really helps and the Pikes are mainly there to lend support if my tanks pop whihc i'm sure 1 or 2 will. Also i can still ditch my Autarch if i need to as he seems to be doing not much other than points filling what with not Heavy support left and not enought points for another Formation.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yeah, I got the whole Vectored Engines thing. Spend some points to make sure more points live makes some sense.

The Mechanized Spearhead could ensure dropping off the Dragons if the Transports used were cheap Falcons. A 165 cost could net you a Holo-Field and Spirit Stones toting transport with two S 8 shots, Three S 6 ones, and two S 4 twin-linked shots that would almost guarantee better survival odds that a Vectored Engines Wave Serpent. You would get an extra S 8 shot and a couple S 4 ones as well. Coming in from the flanks you likely won't need 36" movement so either Flat Out or a 12" 12" with a Star Engine enhancement should get you there safe enough. Especially considering most boards are 6'x4' going 2' will land you in the center of the board so 12" and deploy will likely already have you in Melta range.

The +1 BS is helpful but possibly not at the cost of fielding a 6th Melta gun. After all, two BS 4 shots have better odds of getting a hit in than one BS 5 shot. Also, with the bonus assurance of Falcons transporting these guys in on the Flanks you can almost bet they will be able to be dropped off in range.

A decent Formation could be the Seek & Destroy Spearhead if you wanted to go Flat Out. That would allow you to get a couple more shots off early on with some of the tanks bringing in Fire Dragons. Those 2 non formation transports would fit the bill and that's only a handful points to shoot on the approach.

Just Ideas

Looking back on the Tank Hunter thing. Falcons really compete here in kill rates against Fire Prisms when they have Farseer Guide support. However, the Weapon Destroyed difference is there anyway. But that's the same Falcon/Prism fight that's always been going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.