·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your opinions on this army
2 slann
1 takes lore of beasts and turns himself into a dragon
the other takes lore of light and makes his unit uber bent with ASF I10
3 attacks each M8 and WS10 ( it's 2 different spells)
I have chakax who will hopefully become S8 with 8 attacks due to lore of beasts (i think the opponent will be too worried about a dragon to remember that I cast that spell hehe.
40 temple guard the revered guardian causes terror because of his magic item if they get charged they will hit first on 3s reroll wound on 3s and have 47 attacks then chakax gets to strike the unit is unstoppable.
To take up core I have 80 saurus (2 units with command)
is it good will I get it off

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, if that all happens then you'll have a very nasty unit... although if things start to go wrong then it'll ge very wrong, very quickly. A scroll of any type could ruin your day (would love to see a slaan turned into a frog with a hex scroll... would it really make a difference?) and enemy magic could still really hurt you: either waiting for your dragon slaan to get into combat then dispelling the dragon, or casting a nasty hex/damage spell on the temple guard unit (if they get something like final transmutation off then you'll be lucky to keep both characters alive- and if the slaan dies then the unit is in trouble).

·
Registered
312 Posts
On another forum, it was mentioned that the Slann is technically floating, so he is not on foot (as the spell states that the caster must be on foot). However, in the rule book, it states that a Slann is Infantry. Not sure how this will work out because it was not addressed in the FAQ. In a friendly game, no harm, no foul.

I believe if the Slann can turn into a dragon, that he still benefits from the disciplines that he has taken (ethereal, 4+ ward save). I do not know if he could still cast (I would think not).

Just some thoughts to add.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
"on foot" is a gaming term meaning that he doesnt have a mount- he might be floating but in game he still counts as being on foot. In proper rules talk: he is infantry and so not-mounted. Not being mounted means he must be on foot.

The slaan can indeed turn into a dragon, but not if he is in a big unit of temple guard (if they are behind him then his new base wont fit (and it has to to turn into a dragon). His abilities wont work when he becomes a dragon and he can neither cast nor dispel... basically put you throw away the slaan and get a dragon instead. From the experience I had the other day make sure to cast it at the higher level... I only had enough dice to try the lesser value (I rolles a 3 and a 1 for power... got my channelling though) and while it went through it wasnt really worth losing a lv4 spellweaver for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lowest a slann can ever cast is 7 that's only if I get double ones for pool cast get double ones add 4 cause I'm lvl 4 and the slann gets +1 power dice every time he casts a spell

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
any total rolled value of less then 3 is an auto-fail. So if you rolled 1 dice at a spell, used your free dice and got a double 1 then the spell would fail... but yeah, rolling 2 dice for any spell that needs a 5-7 to cast with a Lv4 caster is almost a certainty, Its the 25+ ones you need to be careful of.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You can't reaonably run two Slann's in 8th edition for any standard sized army even with the points level of 3000 unless the Slanns are stripped down to almost nothing. For example, at 2500 points, you could not run two Slanns with one discipline each and no magic items. Most people max out on disciplines and carry extra magic items to max-protect and maximize the effectiveness of the Slann. A single Slann will almost always exceed 20% of the Lord slot, with the total limited to 25% of total points, at 2500 points. In fact, one also cannot generally run two heroes on stegs (skink priest on engine of the gods or skink chief on steg) and fit within the 25% horoes limit on points until over 3000 points.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can't reaonably run two Slann's in 8th edition for any standard sized army even with the points level of 3000 unless the Slanns are stripped down to almost nothing. For example, at 2500 points, you could not run two Slanns with one discipline each and no magic items.
That isnt technically true, at 2500pts you have 625pts of Lords to play with. This can get u 2 Slann (275 x 2= 550) which gives you 3 disciplines to play with. I would rock with one slann with only one discipline (Higher State of Consciousness) and the BSB and the other slann with Focus of Mastery and Focussed Rumination. Give the ghost slann the lore of life (the casting values are very low so doesnt matter about not having the extra free dice.

HOWEVER to counter-argue with myself, i wouldnt bother with the two slanns. You will only have realistically 5-9 dice a magic phase, which is enough for one slann to reap with but not really two. i personally run one tooled up slann and one skink priest, who is there purely incase the worst happens and my slann breaks concentration- at least i can get one spell off. plus an extra roll for channelling is always handy

With your 80 saurus Jack i would run with 3 units of 24, as i have found this to be the optimal number. plenty of attacks and resilience without being unwieldy. Scar Vets in each unit if you can afford them

Chakax has been horribly nerfed by the FAQ, for 335(!) pts he doesnt do a great job anymore. drop him totally

your temple guard only needs to be 17-20 models strong, they arent the greatest fighters in the world but stubborn LD9 means they wont b moving anywhere fast

dropping Chakax and one slann should get you enough points for max salamanders, some skink skirmishers and a few flanking units, either run with krox (2 x 2 or 3 x 2) or terradons IMO. ancient steg is optional, but dont skimp on the salamanders to fit him in

·
Registered
312 Posts
The slaan can indeed turn into a dragon, but not if he is in a big unit of temple guard (if they are behind him then his new base wont fit (and it has to to turn into a dragon).
GW updated the Lizardmen FAQ on the 12th to state that the Slann cannot turn into a dragon.

All of the other FAQs received updates as well.

·
Registered
885 Posts
sir point well taken. I forgot about the free discipline. However, with the winds of magic, your point is good in that I don't think you will have enough power dice to use two Slanns. Also, with two Slann's tath limits the ability to use one Slann as the BSB. I really think Slanns need max protection, which means putting them with Temple Guard and using Cupped Hands, Soul of Stone??, and Life of Lore to minimize risks of miscasts. Maybe one can have a second fighting lord (Oldblood with no extra magic stuff on him is still a tough hombre) and then run a skink priest on an EOTG and another fighting hero (Scar vet) to fill out one's Lord and Hero points limits. If an opponent leaves a Slann with any ****** in its protection, I can take it out too easily with multiple options in a well-designed, balanced army. A Slann without TG (and a TG unit without Slann) is not stubborn and can be broken in combat on SCR and ACR too easily.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I really think Slanns need max protection, which means putting them with Temple Guard and using Cupped Hands, Soul of Stone??, and Life of Lore to minimize risks of miscasts.
Agreed. That slann is the cornerstone for any lizzie army, it needs all the protection it can get.

ALthough i dnt think the slann in temple guard is auto choice any more. i have liked the Higher State of Consciousness/Magic carpet combo recently to add a bit of manoeuverability and flexibility to my slann. combine with the divine plaque of protection for a 2+ ward save vs. ranged attacks and bobs ur uncle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts