Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ:
Wolf Lord
Power Fist, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf, 2x Fenrisian Wolves, Saga of the Wolfkin
[235]

Wolf Lord
Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf, 2x Fenrisian Wolves, Saga of the Beastslayer
[235]

Wolf Lord
Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf, 2x Fenrisian Wolves, Saga of the Warrior Born
[255]

Elites:
(4) Wolf Guard
Power Fist, Combi-Melta
[172]

Troops:
(9) Grey Hunters
Meltagun, Power Weapon, Wolf Standard
Rhino
[200]

(9) Grey Hunters
Rhino
[200]

(9) Grey Hunters
Rhino
[200]

(9) Grey Hunters
Rhino
[200]

(6) Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Razorback
TL Plasma Gun, Lascannon
[170]

(6) Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Razorback
TL Plasma Gun, Lascannon
[170]

Fast Attack:
(15) Fenrisian Wolves
[120]

Heavy:
Long Fangs
2x Lascannons, 3x Missile Launchers
[170]

Long Fangs
2x Lascannons, 3x Missile Launchers
[170]

[2497]

Just rehashing an old idea. Lords go with the Fenrisian Wolves and can split off as needed. They hammer up the center, while the Packs move out to take objectives. The RBack guys hold back on the home turf while the Fangs bust up the vehicles.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
well Im hoping this is a fun list, since it would never work in a competitive situation. Actually, its WAY to many points wasted on Wolf Lords. they just dont make up their weight in points once you upgrade them and they suck if you dont upgrade them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thought I recognized this list from somewhere:biggrin. I feel you need a third long fang squad to shore up your firepower. Right now it's too easy to whittle down ten long fangs. And there goes your fire support which you need to open up tanks at range, so the lords can get at the chewy insides.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I kind of agree with khaine, this isn't all that competetive. At 2500 your lords will get bogged down. Idk why you have those two extra units of gh since you have 4 already, drop them and put the razors on the long fangs and add one more squad of them plus a razor. Drop one to two lords for a rp and see if you can get some more wolves. You don't have enough cc Killy and you don't have all that much really scary ranged Killy. Drop the PWs for MotW.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Never? I beg to differ. Goatboy ran a similar concept not that long ago, which is where I blatantly stole the idea.
I think he did it at a lower point value, which improves it performance, because there is less likely to be the sheer amount of firepower necessary to kill off the wolf lords, and less suicide units to hold them off for a turn. the lower the points value the more dominating uber units become.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here is a list that i'm running that is 9W/3L/1D and a hell of alot of fun.

HQ:Wolf Lord Mjolnir/Thunder wolf Mount,Thunder Hammer,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Saga of the Bear,Runic Armor.-270
HQ: Wolf Lord Skjold/Thunder wolf Mount,Frost Blade,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of the Warrior Born.-245
HQ:Wolf Lord Hothgar/Thunder wolf Mount,Frost Ax,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of the Wolf Kin.-245
HQ:Wolf Lord Gorgin/Thunder wolf Mount,Power Fist,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of Majesty.-245

Troops: 10 Grey Hunters/Melta Gun,Flamer,Pwr Fist,Mark of the Wulfen.-190

Fast Attack: 15 Fenrisian Wolves -120

Heavy Support: 6 Long Fangs/5 Missile Launchers.-140

Dedicated Transports.
Rino/Extra Armor,Dozer Blade,Extra Storm Bolter.-60
Razorback/Twin-Linked Lascannon,Extra Armor,Dozer Blade.- 95
Razorback/Twin-Linked Lascannon,Extra Armor,Dozer Blade.-95

Total: 2475pts.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Red is only for mods and, no offence meant at all, but his list is better. Wait, do you only have two wolf guard marines?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i don't think this list is as un-competitive as it's made out to be, but would not take this list as is.

first off, i'd drope the PW on the GH squads and take MotW instead.

second, i'd drop one Wolf Lord. yeah, 3 TW models are nice, but if you can take three why not take six or seven?

i'd reconfigure the Wolf Lords, make on fast (FB or WC), and another one slow (TH/PF) and then take 3-5 TWC all different for wound allocation.

i'd drop the Fenrisian Wolves to help you do this, and if you can take another LF squad with ML spam, do it.

the rest of the list is fine as is, IMO.

good hunting.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wait, do you only have two wolf guard marines?
Yes, one for each Grey Hunter Squad. The Wolf Lords will be attached to the Fenrisian Wolves so they have alot of meat shields. When they reach their target the Wolf Lords Split away from the Fenrisian Wolves (if there are any left) and start destroying what ever they go after. Also i did not know about the ''RED'' thing i just use colors to make thing a little eayser to read.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Ummmm... I am sorry to say this but I think your list is illegal. You need 3 wolfguard to make it a legal unit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ummmm... I am sorry to say this but I think your list is illegal. You need 3 wolfguard to make it a legal unit.
You know what your right. I just checked it out. Thanks for telling me.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No problem, it's a simple fix. Happy to help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ok here is the fix up. I took out the 2 Wolf Guard and the Lone Wolf and added 1 extra Grey Hunter to both squads then added Flamers. I also added anouther squad of Long Fangs.

HQ:Wolf Lord Mjolnir/Thunder wolf Mount,Thunder Hammer,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Saga of the Bear,Runic Armor.-270
HQ: Wolf Lord Skjold/Thunder wolf Mount,Frost Blade,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of the Warrior Born.-245
HQ:Wolf Lord Hothgar/Thunder wolf Mount,Frost Ax,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of the Wolf Kin.-245
HQ:Wolf Lord Gorgin/Thunder wolf Mount,Power Fist,Storm Shield,Wolftooth Necklace,Runic Armor,Saga of Majesty.-245

Dedicated Transports.
Razorback/Twin-Linked Lascannon,Extra Armor,Dozer Blade.- 95
Razorback/Twin-Linked Lascannon,Extra Armor,Dozer Blade.-95

Total: 2475pts.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Running already killy Lords with already killy Thunderwolves is a massive waste. The current set-up means I have 20+ ablative wounds on the squad. That means the killy Lords can split off as needed to engage, taking 2 Wolves with them, or stay together as a deathstar and just pound opponents as a whole.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Or get bogged down by mass troop units or blown to shit by mass fire. Either way, you knock out that group and the rest will fall. It's not a horribly effective list, that doesn't mean it will do poorly, but it won't do really well. And TWC with a lord isn't a waste, it's a massive hammer that will rip through enemy units like holy hell.

Do whatever the hell you want, it's your list. We are just trying to tell you it isn't ass efficiant as it could be.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or get bogged down by mass troop units or blown to shit by mass fire. Either way, you knock out that group and the rest will fall. It's not a horribly effective list, that doesn't mean it will do poorly, but it won't do really well. And TWC with a lord isn't a waste, it's a massive hammer that will rip through enemy units like holy hell.

Do whatever the hell you want, it's your list. We are just trying to tell you it isn't ass efficiant as it could be.
Blown to shit? Awesome. That is why I called the wolves 'ablative' wounds. The TWC w/ Lord is a waste, when the TWC can do it fine by themselves. I wouldn't put the points into the Lord if I went with just TWC. Better then to go for Rune Priests. Also, the army will not fall over dead if the Lords bite it - which, I might add, is very unlikely. I just watched a singleton Lord beat face for a whole game without taking a wound and it wasn't running with Fenrisians or anything, so it took a lot of fire.

I never asked if this was the most efficient list ever, either. Just for some thoughts, which I appreciate. You just seem a bit upset, though it may just be internet interpretations of language. It happens, but don't take my comments too personally.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No, I just always come off that way. Don't know why.

Lords are about 1/5 of your army and if you lose those you lose your CC potential. It's an inherent weakness in deathstar units. I am just saying that, if you go against a really competitive list, you will lose those extra wounds fast and then your lords will be left sitting there going "oh shit" out ahead of the rest of your army, which is why I like TWC, they can last. Its a good list but not great. Will probably do a lot of damage to your average player though. I would focus more on razorspam, at these levels RP razorspam eats through armies list shit through a goose.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't imagine that the economical use of 20+ Wolves wouldn't result in me getting into their front lines by the start of my second turn. They can easily maneuver into cover, while my Lords ready themselves to spread out and hit separate targets. Also, the Lords themselves are very, very tough. A 3+ Invuln is nothing to sneeze at and shy of a direct hit from a S10 gun, he isn't going down to Instant Death. They are good for pulverizing units, which they would do. Tying up their army and letting my other units move around and do what needs to be done. I wouldn't discount the potency of 40 Space Wolves crossing the board to take objectives, etc. Especially with Fangs popping transports from across the table, too.

Now, I know I could make a more efficient list - I have done so. However, I think that it seemed bland and I just had to see how this would look. Thanks for the help, though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts