Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm getting back to WHFB after a long time (last I played VC still had bloodlines, and I played with Necrarchs), so ... Need some help ...
I built this list from the models I have now, so it isn't my dream list and I need suggestion with what to add / dump, so ... Here it is:

Vampire Lord @ 517.0 Pts
General; Barded Nightmare; Lore of Vampires; Lance; Shield; Magic Level 4
Red Fury
Quickblood
Earthing Rod
Armour of Destiny
^^
5 Black Knights @ 150.0 Pts
Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

Vampire @ 211.0 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of Vampires; Heavy armour; Shield
Red Fury
Sword of Swift Slaying
Dawn Stone
^^
40 Crypt Ghouls @ 410.0 Pts
Ghast

Necromancer @ 210.0 Pts
Master of the Dead; Magic Level 2; Lore of Vampires
Corpse Cart

Necromancer @ 90.0 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of Vampires
Dispel Scroll

40 Skeleton Warriors @ 230.0 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Skeleton Champion

34 Zombies @ 112.0 Pts
Standard; Musician

2 Fell Bats @ 32.0 Pts

2 Fell Bats @ 32.0 Pts

3 Spirit Hosts @ 135.0 Pts

Black Coach @ 195.0 Pts

Varghulf @ 175.0 Pts

Models in Army: 132
Total Army Cost: 2499.0

·
Registered
483 Posts
Off the top of my head:
1) Maybe give the vamp hero Lore of Death to snipe out BSBs or mages.
2) Give said hero a mount and put him in w/ the lord so he gets to use the lord's Ld for death snipes
3) Split the spirit hosts into multiple groups. One large is ok but they work really well as units to hold up enemy chaff units. Even if it's a unit of 2 and a unit of 1. I regularly run 3 solo units.
4) I'm not a big fan of the carts for necros. It moves like a chariot so there's no marching. That means you're moving 4"/turn. If your Vamp general is off away from the main army I guess that's ok as the zombies and skelies won't be marching either. I'm assuming you want that to get the ASF off?
5) Maybe look at making the knight unit a "bus" -- a unit of 10+ w/ characters included. W/ the hitty lord and support from the hero you can do some real damage.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Are you playing End Times? If so, don't bother with the second "Blender vampire". It's not brilliant, and is just chaff for something else that's capable - i.e a tricked out Dwarf General or Star Lance High Elf, or something to kill it easily. Also, higher level caster = more chance at casting/dispelling. Don't bother with lower level casters. You have 50% limit with End Times rules. No need to double up on the Lore of Vampires though. The Vampire Lord only needs 1 level - drop the earthing rod to save some points. This lets him heal. And the armour of destiny kind of sucks. Lance+ASF isn't brilliant. If you can't break on charge, you're stuck with *only* S5 attacks. Count it as a Great Weapon instead for S7 I7, which is fast enough. Anything faster than that is going to be ASF, and faster anyway (i.e Elf). Don't bother trying to outspeed something which cannot be outsped.

A Lore of Undeath L4 Master Necro is alright, and you can afford to throw dice at getting the spells up to generate additional points.

Ghouls kinda suck for their points, and 40 of them is... yeh. Sorry.

Zombies - I'd never pay for them. Always raise them. Varghulf's are okay - I just find Terrorgheists additional cost pays for themselves. Fell Bats - these are brilliant with the amount of avoidance lists out these days.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice !!! Thanks a lot for the advice, really gave me something to think about ...

I already ordered a pack of knights and a Terrorgheist, just 'cause I love the model, and I see that's just what you suggested, so ... 2 things down :victory:
I was thinking of replacing the ghouls for some time now, 'cause yeah ... Not worth the points ... Thought of maybe throwing in a block of Grave Guards and I have 10 dogs which I could try to squeeze in ...

Now, I like having a ward on my general, that's why I took the Armour Of Destiny, but I don't know ... All your other suggestions are great, really make sense when I think about it ...

Oh, and ... I will be getting some packs just because I think they look cool, and I want to paint them, so if it's not too much of a bother, could you give your quick thoughts on them in game:
- Coven Throne / Mortis Engine
- Crypt Horrors / Vargheist
- Blood Knights
- maybe those new Morgheists, which I know nothing about yet

Thanks again guys, you've been very helpful :grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ... Been reading the latest Army Book, and I really like some things, so ... Here's what I came up with, so let me know what you think:

Strigoi Ghoul King @ 460.0 Pts
General; Magic Level 1
Ogre Blade
Talisman of Preservation
The Other Tricksters Shard
Red Fury
Flying Horror
Fear Incarnate

Master Necromancer @ 225.0 Pts
Magic Level 4
Dispel Scroll

40 Skeleton Warriors @ 230.0 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Full Command

34 Zombies @ 112.0 Pts
Standard; Musician

35 Zombies @ 115.0 Pts
Standard; Musician

10 Dire Wolves @ 90.0 Pts
Doom Wolf

10 Dire Wolves @ 90.0 Pts
Doom Wolf

6 Vargheists @ 276.0 Pts

6 Vargheists @ 276.0 Pts

Terrorgheist @ 225.0 Pts

Terrorgheist @ 225.0 Pts

Varghulf @ 175.0 Pts

Models in Army: 146
Total Army Cost: 2499

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Sadly, the Strigoi Ghoul King is limited to Magic Weapons only, IIRC. I like the rest of the units, but tactically, it's better to take less units of Dire Wolves, so that you can force the opponent to put their units down first. Units of 10 aren't really that much more killy, they'll likely get a charge off, and that's it, or be hit by a magic missile and be toast.

Plus, the standard advice, never pay for zombies.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, in the army book it says he may take "magic items" up to 100 points ...
And beneath it says:
"Designer's Note: Remember that, due to the Magical Interference rule in the Warhammer rulebook, a Strigoi Ghoul King may not choose magic armor."
Doesn't say anything about other limitations on magic items ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts