Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, upcoming local 2500 point tourney. I'm expecting the most trouble from a Dwarven artillery line supported with warriors and an anvil. This is what I've been running with my current Skaven army. Thoughts? I'm hoping that I have enough 'big' stuff that with the storm banner some of it can make it to him before the cannons tear my stuff a new one. Also, should I run the bell in horde formation?

Lord:
Grey Seer /w Screaming Bell, Shadow Mage Trinket, Ironcurse Icon

Hero:
Chieftain /w Storm Banner, Shield
Warlock Engineer /w Doomrocket, Warp Energy Condenser (hope for skitterleap)

Core:
70x Clanrats /w FC - Poison Wind Mortar (Pushes Bell)
35x Clanrats /w FC - Poison Wind Mortar (Chieftain here)
35x Clanrats /w FC - Poison Wind Mortar (Warlock here)

Special:
6x Rat Ogres

Rare:
HPA
HPA
Doomwheel

2500 on the nose!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Just seems to lack the scary edge that most skaven seem to bring to the table. Im sure it would be nastier in the flesh but I just think that most armies will have the shooting/magic to deal with the poison mortars, a hellpit or 2 and possibly the doomwheel (and if they have cannons then anything then the bell and doomwheel should die pretty early on... and the grey seer very early)... and after that there isnt too much that can hit at the enemy.

I would lose some clanrats and grab some covering fire units such as a unit of jezzails or a cannon of your own so you can try to take out the things that can knock out your own nastiest before because if all you have left is clanrats then I think you'll really struggle.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just seems to lack the scary edge that most skaven seem to bring to the table. Im sure it would be nastier in the flesh but I just think that most armies will have the shooting/magic to deal with the poison mortars, a hellpit or 2 and possibly the doomwheel (and if they have cannons then anything then the bell and doomwheel should die pretty early on... and the grey seer very early)... and after that there isnt too much that can hit at the enemy.

I would lose some clanrats and grab some covering fire units such as a unit of jezzails or a cannon of your own so you can try to take out the things that can knock out your own nastiest before because if all you have left is clanrats then I think you'll really struggle.
I think you're right T/S. What do you find gives a Skaven army a 'scary edge?' Perhaps I can build upon this as well. I'll rejig the clanrats around and see what I can pull out.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
To be honest I dont really know.... but I guess its a mixture. Things like HPA, doomwheels and rat ogres flying around with huge numbers of rats in blocks everywhere you can see and then a bell/furnace somewhere in there to give it some structure.

I think that if I was rejigging this list I would try to get at least a couple units of 20+ slaves in there on the flanks (within 18" of the bell though) and then a unit of jezzails. I would also switch a plague mortar to something else- like a warfire thrower (although I kinda like the drill thing, only seen it used once in game though and it utterly fluffed its attacks). If you go for the same attatched weapon for all the units then they'll either counter the enemy or do very little...

I wish I could help a little more (and be a little more coherant with my thoughts), but skaven have alwasy confused me a little... and I havent really played them enough to have sorted it all out yet.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest I dont really know.... but I guess its a mixture. Things like HPA, doomwheels and rat ogres flying around with huge numbers of rats in blocks everywhere you can see and then a bell/furnace somewhere in there to give it some structure.

Heh, isn't this nearly exactly what I have above?

I think that if I was rejigging this list I would try to get at least a couple units of 20+ slaves in there on the flanks (within 18" of the bell though) and then a unit of jezzails. I would also switch a plague mortar to something else- like a warfire thrower (although I kinda like the drill thing, only seen it used once in game though and it utterly fluffed its attacks). If you go for the same attatched weapon for all the units then they'll either counter the enemy or do very little...

I wish I could help a little more (and be a little more coherant with my thoughts), but skaven have alwasy confused me a little... and I havent really played them enough to have sorted it all out yet.
Yeah, I simply went with plague mortars because I found I really lacked anything anti-horde. I liked the mortars because they deny armour and they can move and shoot. However, You're probably right and I might toss in a warp fire.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
like I said... not being entirely coherant :p
Mostly I just dont think 3 units of rats is enough- most armies will find that if they can keep the rats solely to their fron then they aren much of a problem (at least not much of a worry)... but if you have 5-6 blocks of rats then suddenly its like juggling with too many balls and you start to lose them all...

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Very little idea... Ive played them a few times, but I havent had much combat against them. So other then some fancy effects from the bell and some T based death from the furnace I dont know much about them (except that the magic from the furncae tends to have pretty crappy range and is normally ignorable).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Dwarf Warriors? High Toughness when you hit the ranks will be an issue. Guess What?

It's Plague Time. Try the Skrolk 2.5K list -

Skrolk = 470

Plague Priest, Furnace, Censer, Level 2 = 297
Plague Priest, Furnace, Censer, Level 2 = 297

50 Plague Monks, Full Command = 375
50 Plague Monks, Full Command = 375

10 Censer Bearers = 160
10 Censer Bearers = 160
10 Censer Bearers = 160

Plagueclaw Catapult = 100
Plagueclaw Catapult = 100
2500 ish.

Plagueclaws are good against Dwarves and Close together units - although S2, they don't allow armour saves. I've lost quite a few warriors to that. Plus, it benefits from the new template rules, as it's a large template, doubly so.

Plague Censer Bearers have the potential to kill 5+ opponents if they roll 5+ before any blows are struck.

The Monks have enough attacks to make a dent, at a high enough initiative, as well as causing Toughness Tests with no armour save if failed against all in base contact being a major + versus Dwarves.

Not to forget that the Censer and Furnace Stack - A Breath Weaponish Plague Censer, OR causes Artillery Dice worth of S5 attacks can wipe out units.

Skrolk - well, obviously, he makes the list legal in the first place - but mainly, his abilities such as opponents being -1 to hit thanks to his Aura, AND his PL 6 Arcane Tome - now that every toughness is wounded on a 6, he becomes that much more deadly - on a 2+, the targetted unit takes a wound without armour saves on a 6+. How good is that against Dwarves? In CC, any multi wound creature taking 1+ wound must pass a toughness test or die instantly.

His 4 S6 attacks with the flail, and I6 means he's striking before the Dwarves, and T5 is more than capable of swinging it against a Runelord.

You have a lot of casting potential as well, having every spell in the Lore of Plague, all of which are useful - Bless with Filth especially when you have Frenzied Monks with Additional Hand Weapons. Combine Wither as well (IT'S NOT RIP EITHER), with the huge amount of Toughness Tests you cause with this army (and massed Low Strength attacks), and it's a quality spell as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts