Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am the Phoenix Lord Fuegan. I am new to this forum and also to the Eldar. Any tactical advice for mech Eldar and/or a critique of this list would be greatly appreciated. Help me crush the Mon-Keigh! My list is as follows:

HQ: Phoenix Lord Fuegan
Jetseer w/ stones, runes of warding/witnessing, singing spear, Guide fortune doom
Jetlock council (x7)(all destructor)

Elites: x5 Fire Dragons (with Fuegan in Falcon)

Troops: Guardian Bikers x 6 w/ x2 shiruken cannons + Jetlock w/ Destructor
Guardian Bikers x 6 w/ x2 shiruken cannons + Jetlock w/ Destructor
Guardian Bikers x 6 w/ x2 shiruken cannons + Jetlock w/ Destructor

Fast Attack: Vyper x2 w/ x2 Star Cannon + x2 shiruken cannon
Vyper x2 w/ x2 Star Cannon + x2 shiruken cannon
Vyper x2 w/ x2 Bright Lance + x2 shiruken cannon

Heavy Support: Falcon w/ Scatter Laser / Shiruken Cannon / Vectored Engines/ star engines/ spirit stones
Fire Prism w/ shiruken cannon/ Spirit Stones/ Star Engines

·
Registered
257 Posts
In your Seer Council, on some of your jetlocks, change 2 so you have 1 embolden and 1 enhance. Embolden works for phsyic tests and then you don't need to spend the points on runes of witness. You can also drop Guide as well as your bikes are twin linked and you can only cast 2 spells and fortune should ALWAYS be one of them and doom the other depending on the target.

On the Vypers, I would suggest against them as they are really high points cost, but since it is Saim-Hann, it sticks with the fluff. However, I would change the Lances and Star Cannons for Missle Launchers as they are more of an all purpose weapon. And if you move more then 6, you can shoot the Shunken cannon and then missle as a defensive weapon with the str 4 blast version of the weapon. Plus the Missle has 12 more range.

I would say, you could probably drop the Star Engines, as personally, I don't really use them. With those points, I would boosten up your bike squads as only 18 troop units at a 2500pt game isn't leave much for objective grabbing.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not a bad list, I wouldn't mind playing it. Criticisms in no particular order:
-what does fuegan do with the unit of fire dragons? He does make it harder to destroy, but it also costs almost 4 times as much. I'd consider dropping him and replacing with a farseer with fortune, guide and spirit stones (more on this later)
-try dropping two destructor from the warlocks in council to get an enhance and an embolden
-by 2500 points you should be able to afford a wave serpent for those dragons.
-troops are fine, I'd strongly consider giving the warlocks a singing spear since you're not going to be anything special in cc anyway.
-I have much to say about your fast attack. It is too expensive. Bugger the star cannons, bugger the brightlances. Scatter lasers and shuriken cannons for all!
-onto your heavy support. There are some good uses for star engines; I'd drop two of the three that you've got. Drop the vectored engines.
Now, presuming that you blindly follow my advice, you totally have enough points to squeeze in a wave serpent for your dragons. Do that, change your falcon's loadout to a brightlance and holofields, and (probably) stick the farseer in the falcon. You could also, in missions where you're facing lots of dakka, stick the seer in with the dragons to make sure they get there.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
bravo. +rep to both of you lads, could not have said it better.

go with that mate.

good hunting.

EDIT:

this is a good attempt at an Eldar "fire" list, but frankly, one small unit of Dragons with Fuegan is not worth it. your spending a lot of points (Fuegan) to bolster one small unit of Dragons.

i would spam Dragons, maybe two-three units. the Jetlocks are not a bad idea on your Guardian bike squads, but perhaps take two Jetseers and pumped up Guardian bikes, add in a unit or two of Storm Guardians with flamers and Destructor on the Lock (of course).

you'll be told not to use Fuegan as he has no invulnerable save, but have you thought about using him in a CC unit? he has a good Initiative, hits like a monstrous creature. i'd want him locked up instead of shooting, and frankly a unit of Dragons as a retinue wuld be lame. but him in with Banshees. i mean it. attach a Cheapseer with Fortune/Doom/Stones RoWarding.

ironic that the Phoenix Lord for one of the best shooting Eldar units is a CC monster. curious, IMO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fuegan to banshees, "Hey hot sword chicks, go find Jain Zar to lead you. I've got fire dudes to hang with. Peace."

ie. Fuegan can't go with Banshees tis against the darn rules.

Good advice all in all from everyone.

I'd suggest taking embolden and spears on your guardian locks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
forgot about that. put Fuegan in with a mini Seer Council or Storm Guardians with flamers and Destructolock.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice.

I agree with dropping Fuegan in lieu of a farseer in the falcon. I also concur on the dropping of vectored engines and star engines on the falcon, however, the star engines on the fire prisms have tactical value.

The Vyper brightlances could stand to be changed to scatter lasers, but imo the star cannons can really make MEQ troops unhappy. Also good advice on the PSY powers, thanks. Now my only question is should I remove the firedragons and beef up my guardian bikers and/or bare-bones my vypers and add a wave serpent and some sort of unit? (keep fire dragons or....?)

After dropping guide, the falcons vectored/star engines, and removing Fuegan then adding the Farseer and 7 spears, that leaves 151 with the dragons or 241 without them.

Again Thanks for all the response, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated List

After hearing your advice I have generated this list. Please continue your critque. Thanks in advance for your input.

HQ:
Farseer w/ stones / Fortune / Doom (to be mounted in falcon)
Jetseer w/ stones, runes of warding/witnessing, singing spear, fortune, doom
Jetlock council w/spears (x7)(Embolden, Enhance, x5 Destructor)

Troops:
Guardian Bikers x 7 w/ x2 shiruken cannons + Jetlock w/ Destructor / spear

Fast Attack:
Vyper x2 w/ x2 Scatter Laser + x2 shiruken cannon

Heavy Support:
Falcon w/ Bright Lance / holofields / Shiruken Cannon / spirit stones

totals to 2509
9 points over that I will have to reconcile.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
much better list. i would drop the Falcon and the single Farseer for a DA squad and a Wave Serpent.

a single model on one tank is a bit of a waste.

Vypers are considered fails by most players, but if you insist on taking them, give them Chin Cannons and EML; they're a frail unit so making them cheap is the key, though i have to admit your army may be better off with 3 SL Walkers for some outflanking anti-tank harrasment.

on a second thought, if you drop the Farseer + Falcon you could take a biker Autarch with Laser Lance, Mandi Blasters and Fusion Gun, and attach it to the Jetseer Council.

that would give you more strategic options as could choose to Outflank with more confidence, and he's a CC monster on his own. yup, i would do that instead.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2nd updated list

The war walkers are a good choice. But with this list I am attempting to keep with the high mobility platform for confusion and cover saves.

The combining of the Autarch and the Seer council is a great idea, thanks very much!

here is a updated list.

HQ:
Jetarch w/ Fusion gun, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters
Jetseer w/ stones, runes of warding/witnessing, singing spear, fortune, doom
Jetlock council w/spears (x7)(Embolden, Enhance, x5 Destructor)

Troops:

Fast Attack:
Vyper x2 w/ x2 Scatter Laser + x2 shiruken cannon

Heavy Support:

with 16 points to spare

Im not sure about the 3rd fire prism...
Again thanks very much for reviewing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ok, I'm late.

I have 2 personal comments to make toward the list first.

1. Nice solid Saim-Hann theme. Everything is fast.
2. I think it's sad that someone can't field the character their named after. If you like Fuegan (he is pretty beasty), I'd find a way to fit him in.

Now to the list critiques:

Singing Spears are always a questionable choice. Granted your Council is now your go to Tank hunting unit, but against just about anything else they'd be better off with Witchblades. I, typically, will only give spears to anyone in the unit that doesn't have Destructor.

I have to echo the sentiment of EML over Star Cannons. Its not just a cost thing, but also the list also has very few sources capable to safely take on high AV's.

I like to have Embolden on my Jetbike squads to help keep them from running away, which it would only take 2 casualties on a unit in one phase to force a test. Destructor is alright if your planning on facing plenty of Horde lists, but honestly being close enough to use it means your troops are in a high threat zone.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
3rd list posted is pretty good. just remember to always move those bikes, and keep one unit of them for late game grabs.

go take some heads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, I'm late.

I have 2 personal comments to make toward the list first.

1. Nice solid Saim-Hann theme. Everything is fast.
Thanks
2. I think it's sad that someone can't field the character their named after. If you like Fuegan (he is pretty beasty), I'd find a way to fit him in.
I agree, I think ill have a other list on standby with him in it in case I want to throw an oddball in.

Now to the list critiques:

Singing Spears are always a questionable choice. Granted your Council is now your go to Tank hunting unit, but against just about anything else they'd be better off with Witchblades. I, typically, will only give spears to anyone in the unit that doesn't have Destructor.
Down-grading some Lock CC weapons is a good idea, and will free points up to take embolden.

I have to echo the sentiment of EML over Star Cannons. Its not just a cost thing, but also the list also has very few sources capable to safely take on high AV's.
Your right the EMLs are a very pragmatic solution, but, In the defense of my hubris, The starcannon gets two shots at ap 2 (can make termie squads very displeased if the dice are favorable). I still may change my mind

I like to have Embolden on my Jetbike squads to help keep them from running away, which it would only take 2 casualties on a unit in one phase to force a test. Destructor is alright if your planning on facing plenty of Horde lists, but honestly being close enough to use it means your troops are in a high threat zone.
I had not considered that, Putting them with range to use that effectively vs horde means the fleet mobs can take me down, embolden is a much better choice.
3rd list posted is pretty good. just remember to always move those bikes, and keep one unit of them for late game grabs.
Thanks very much for your advice, It is appreciated.

go take some heads. (I plan on it :D )
Thanks very much for your analysis!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts