Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
Here is a 2500 pts list I made up to play in the ‘Ard Boyz Tournament on May 15, 2010 at my local store. I have not bought all of the pieces yet, but plan to depending on your advice. The Advice is much needed. Thanks.

H.Q.: 305 pts

• Chapter Master: 170 pts
-Terminator Armor
-Combi-Flamer
-Power Sword
• Chaplain: 135 pts
-Terminator Armor
-Combi-Flamer

Troops: 855 pts

• Tactical Squad #1: 205 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Heavy Bolter
-Rhino
• Tactical Squad #2: 210 pts (10 men)
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
-Rhino
• Tactical Squad #3: 235 pts (10 men)
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
-Powerfist
-Rhino
• Tactical Squad #4: 205 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Heavy Bolter
-Rhino

Elites: 705 pts

• Terminator Assault Squad: 240 pts (6 men)
-Lightning Claws (x3)
-Thunder Hammers (x3)
• Terminator Squad: 465 pts (10 men)
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist
-Cyclone Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: 465 pts

• Land Raider Crusader: 275 pts
-Mutli-Melta
-Extra Armor
• ‘Dakka’ Predator #1: 95 pts
-Storm Bolter
• ‘Dakka’ Predator #2: 95 pts
-Storm Bolter

Fast Attack: 140 pts

• Land Speeder #1: 70 pts
-Multi Melta
-Heavy Bolter
• Land Speeder #2: 70 pts
-Multi Melta
-Heavy Bolter

Total Points: 2475 pts

The tactic is for the Chapter Master and Chaplain to ride with the Assault Termies in the Land Raider up the middle. The Rhinos with Tac squads are to flank either side of the land raiders advance and to take objectives. The Predators will remain in the rear to provide support fire for the advancing Mech infantry. The Two Land speeders are to zoom around the field taking out primary targets until destroyed. The Normal Terminator Squad will be a mid unit used to protect the rear of the advance and take care of any breaks in the line.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not a bad list. I like it. The things i see you need is a tad more ranged firepower support for tanks, another PF or two for the tac sqds and to get those rhinos some EA to keep them moving as much as possible. This is just what i would do:

drop a HB tac squad and get some scouts with SRs and a ML to sit on a home objective, give the other rhinos EA and get another landspeeder with a MM. Drop a termie or two and the CML from the normal sqd (i think 10 termies is a bit too costly personally) and get some PFs for the tac sqds.

- or -

drop a rhino from a HB tac sqd, upgrade the HB to a lascannon and the flamer to a plasma gun. drop 2 termies from the normal squad and the CML and get some EAs for the rhinos and PFs for the tac sqds.

Again, these are just suggestions as to what i would do. still a pretty good looking list, good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
287 Posts
hi nice list
i agree with Blood_knight on PF and droping the HB on tacs

i would also change the LS layout for MM/HF they will kill armour and hordes pretty nicely

i would also swap the chappy for the lib with Gate and attached him to normal Termies with CML just to ensure the mobility (maybe a null zone to spice it up dunno)
so u do not have a massive heavy sqad (all HQ LR and Termies in one place) easy to focuse fire at

but thats just me
what do u think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,

Thanks Guys for the Advice. I’ll probably go with the changing of the Land Speeder Layouts from MM/HB to MM/HF which will be much better when I play my Friend’s Ork army. I’m also going to try and get the Rhinos with some EA and Tac(s) with PFs. My problem is that I really like Librarians but I thought the Chaplain would go better with the Terminator (assault).

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Chappy is nice on Atermies always nice to reroll on charge
what i mean is IMO the other squad will DS and than they have to move really slowly...
it would not be impossible to just avoid them
and libby gives u possibility to teleport them where needed
Have Fun
Good advice here. + rep

Play a number of games - 5 or 7 - with a librarian with GoI attached to the shooty terminators. After a couple of games you will get the hang of gate and realize how powerful it is with shooty terminators (and sternguard...) you will see that it is a far better use of an hq slot.

The real kicker is that it really compliments strategy you are describing. Try it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys that sounds really good. I'll definitly implore your advice next couple games.

I really like the advice.

Now what other power should I take and what wargear is best for this situtation.

Thanks again

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

The below list is not too much of a difference from the original. I dropped all heavy bolters on Tac squads. Picked up a Librarian with Termie Armor. I also remembered that the Land Raider Crusader is a dedicated transport, so it will open up a heavy support slot. I decided not to go with extra armor until I field test it more (I have no doubt it is useful, but it's more of a sercurity blanket). I didn't add any more fast attack units. But depending on dropping the Fourth tactical I might add an other predator or whirlwind.

The Question Marks (?) are points of confusion are really need of help.

I have 100 points to work with with some of the changes there can be more points to be moved around depending on your advice and guidance.

H.Q.: 350 pts

-Terminator Armor
-Combi-Flamer?
-Power Sword
•Librarian: 180 pts
-Epistolary
--Gate of Infinity
--Smite?
-Terminator Armor?
-Storm Bolter?

Troops: pts

• Tactical Squad #1: 170 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher
• Tactical Squad #2: 235 pts (10 men)
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
-Power Fist
--Rhino
• Tactical Squad #3: 230 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher
-Powerfist
--Rhino

• Tactical Squad #4: 175 pts (10 men)?
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
or
•Scout Squad: 85 pts (5 man)?
-Sniper rifle (x4)
-Missile Launcher
(maybe even taking Sergeant Telion- 50 pts)

Elites: 910 pts

• Terminator Assault Squad: 200 pts (5 men)
-Lightning Claws (x3)
-Thunder Hammers (x2)
--Land Raider Crusader: 275 pts
-Multi-Melta
-Extra Armor
• Terminator Squad: 435 pts (10 men)
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist

Heavy Support: 190 pts

-Storm Bolter
-Storm Bolter

-Multi Melta
-Heavy Flamer
-Multi Melta
-Heavy Flamer

Total Points: 2400 pts

·
Registered
324 Posts
-Terminator Armor
-Combi-Flamer?
-Power Sword
•Librarian: 180 pts
-Epistolary
--Gate of Infinity
--Smite?
-Terminator Armor?
-Storm Bolter?
dont take a combi weapon on the CM, hes one of your close combatants, so let him get all his attacks. same with the libby if your going to be using smite, you want him getting full use out of it. his powers are good, he hits hard and can get his unit out of there.

• Tactical Squad #1: 170 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher
the sarg could use either a PF or PW&MBs

• Tactical Squad #2: 235 pts (10 men)
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
-Power Fist
--Rhino
• Tactical Squad #3: 230 pts (10 men)
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher
-Powerfist
--Rhino
all good except you should have EA on the transports :biggrin:

• Tactical Squad #4: 175 pts (10 men)?
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
or
•Scout Squad: 85 pts (5 man)?
-Sniper rifle (x4)
-Missile Launcher
(maybe even taking Sergeant Telion- 50 pts)
go with the scouts and Telion. let them sit on the home objective. in the end, and only IF you have the points, cloaks are always nice.

• Terminator Assault Squad: 200 pts (5 men)
-Lightning Claws (x3)
-Thunder Hammers (x2)
--Land Raider Crusader: 275 pts
-Multi-Melta
-Extra Armor
nothing really wrong with it, but if you need the points, drop the melta.

• Terminator Squad: 435 pts (10 men)
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist
I still think this squad is too big. you have the room, split the squad into 5s and put the other squad a AC. this will just give you more flexability in the list.

Heavy Support: 190 pts

-Storm Bolter
-Storm Bolter

-Multi Melta
-Heavy Flamer
-Multi Melta
-Heavy Flamer
:eek:k:
though if you have any points left over, drop the storm bolters and give the preds HB sponsons.

hope that helps. happy hunting!

·
Registered
22 Posts
"his powers are good, he hits hard and can get his unit out of there."
I'd go gate/avenger for what your'e trying to do. Your 10m squad gets 2 heavy weapons, combat squad them into one group with the libby. If you get beacons on the board cough tacs cough you can hop around and place pinpoint fire support. Double CML will prove to be the most versatile.

"the sarg could use either a PF or PW&MBs"
But he's on foot... Why is he on foot? Mech up.

Drop the pfs on the other squad. Combat tactics is your friend.

"go with the scouts and Telion. let them sit on the home objective."
:eek:k:

"nothing really wrong with it, but if you need the points, drop the melta. "
I'd sooner drop it to a LRR than lose the melta. Can't underestimate potms MM.

"though if you have any points left over, drop the storm bolters and give the preds HB sponsons."
That's the price with HB and SB :so_happy:
But i would drop the SB. you're putting out 8 dice at 36". 10 at 24" isn't a lot more (two bolter shots...) and a lot closer to melta/assault. keep these guys in the 30" (+\- 6") threat band and blast away.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think this list is really unfocused and thus I suspect your limited by your collection. Choose a theme and stick with it, right now you have 4 tac squads that are midfield units one crazy rush assault unit, a little fire support and some terminator squads hopping around. None of these work together very well. The Tac squads and fire support want to do their damage over time whittling away at you opponents mech and support and then driving forward to deliver the final blow while your terminators need to rush forward immediately. Therefore the assault elements are killed quickly by the vast amountof melta in any ardboyz list and then picked apart by firepower or other assault units. Leaving you down nearly 1/4 of your force and lettign your opponents pick your shooting apart.

Also your shooting isn't very efficient, terminators and tactical marines are both jack of all trade units and neither provides effective support fire.

MY advice is this. Decide between shooting and assault as your main goal, take more efficent squads then what you currently have for troops and elites, ditch the chapter master, honestly why have him. Then get the tools to deal with the sheer number of vehicles showing up in an ardboyz list.

Why don't you post a list of the models you have and I'll see what i can do to focus this list and make it better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
hi there
i am in the middle of my exams at the fac so this will not be extensive

on ur HQ
i would say keep the combi because if u have to face a mob it is always nice to start with couple hits before charging / if u want to drop the combi u might consider relic blade for him

drop the storm bolter on libby u want to use his shooty ability

Termie Assault squad i like the lay out :D
Termie Sqad - well i think 10 man is to much i would drop them to 7 +/- and i would take CML (but that's just a prefference)
with the points u can or put 1 or 2 Assault Termies, buy Rhino for tac sqad

Tacs u should have a PW or PF on each squad - smth to deny saves if u go with PW take MB -->story not to be caught by the walker and there is nothing u can do...
i would also give all the sqads transport (newer playtested the EA)

If u go scouts they are great as objective campers but in my opinion u need at least 7 (something to do with the combat calculator :p) they want to wound to pinn and u want to be sure they do
Telion hmm... i perso have him and use him to drop those Nobz with PK's in 30 man boyz mobz :D

if u take telion u do not need Cammo Coaks (he already gives all the sqad the ability and as far as i know the do not cummulate)
u need sth to back them up and protect from DP, and flanking opponent (dread as a fire base is nice for this role)
u might have problems with heavy armour (transports u can easily pop with ML u have 4 at the moment what u might consider is Las sponsons for the preds for some kick
like that they can sit back and shoot

ok this is just my opinions

have fun

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,
The original list was a hopefully list for this year’s ‘Ard Boyz but I decided I’m not going. But I would still like some help on my list, so I can start assembling the overall list with the few items that are still missing.
The list of units I have are as follows:

H.Q.:
• Captain (Black Reach) x1
-Power sword
-Bolter

Troops:
• Tactical squad #1 (10 man)
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher (10 man)
• Tactical squad #2
-Meltagun
-Missile Launcher
• Tactical squad #3 (10 man) (mag)
-Meltagun or Flamer
-Missile Launcher/ etc.
-power fist
• Tactical squad #4 (10 man) (mag)
-Meltagun or Flamer
-Missile launcher/ etc.
-power fist
• Scout squad #1 (5 man)
-will magnetize soon
-shotguns (x4)
-bolters (x4)
-CCW and Pistol (x5)
-heavy bolter (x1)
• Scout squad #2 (5 man)
-Snipers (x4)
-Missile launcher

Dedicated Transports:
• Rhino #1
-storm bolter (x1)
• Rhino #2
-storm bolter (x1)

Elites:
(Black Reach terminators not box set, bought blister assault cannon)
• Terminator Squad #1 (5 man)
-assault cannon
• Terminator Squad #2 (5 man)
-Assault cannon
• Dreadnought #1
-Multi melta
-DCCW
• Dreadnought #2
-Assault Cannon
-Lascannon
-DCCW (HF or HB)
-Missile Launcher

Fast Attack:
• Assault Squad (10 man)
-can become two squads
-flamer (x2)
-power fist (x2)

Heavy Support:
• Devastators squad (10 man) (4 mag)
-Lascannon (x2)
-Heavy Bolter (x2)
-Plasma Cannon (x2)
-Multi Melta (x1)
-Missile launcher (x1)
• Predator (mag)
-HB/ LC spon
-AC/ LC
-storm bolter

I really just want a list right now to buy up to. To be totally honest I’m a mobile-gun-line kind of guy. You have seen my plans with the Original list on this thread. If the Assault terminators are not the way to go then that’s fine. I would like to buy a Land raider and another Predator some time and hopefully I be able to but a Librarian this weekend (I want a Grey Knight Terminator one!!!! Or the thousand Sons chief librarian guy (model only not stats)).

Help is wanted and needed thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts