7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HQ
Autarch - Warp Jump Generator -Mandiblasters -Power Weapon -Fusion Gun-
125 points total

Autarch -Mandiblasters -Power Weapon -Fusion Gun
100 points total

Elites
Fire Dragons x 6 -Exarch -Tank Hunters -Crack Shot -Wave Serpent -Twin-linked EML -Spirit Stones - 2 squads(Both Exarchs have dragons breath flamer)
516 points total

Striking Scorpions 8 -Exarch -Chainsabres -Stalker -Shadowstrike (Other Exarch has biting Blade)
170 points total

Troops
Dire Avengers x 10 -Exarch -Two Shuriken catapults -Blade Storm -Wave Serpent -Twin-linked EML -Spirit Stones -
282 points total

Dire Avengers x 10 -Exarch -Diresword and Shuriken Pistol -Defend -Blade Storm -Wave Serpent -Twin-Linked EML -Spirit Stones -
302 points total

Pathfinders - x 5 x 2 squads
240 points total

Fast Attack
Warp Spiders - x 8 -Exarch -Additional Death Spinner -Power Blades -Withdraw -
218 points total

Heavy Support
Wraith Lord -Two Flamer -Bright Lance -EML
155 points total

War Walker Squadron - x 3 - 6 x Scatter Lasers
180 points total

War Walker Squadron -x 6 EML
210 points total

2498 total points. I like this but please let me know your thoughts, and let me know if you have any tactic suggestions or ideas that may not be obvious. Once again I'm a new eldar player and looking for any tips. Still in the learning curve.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Regarding Troops:
Troops are good, save for that blob of Wraithguard. I would drop the Wraithguard, despite being a Troop choice. Troop choice aside, they are still far too expensive for what they offer. Which is virtually nothing. If you can't accept that, don't ask for the wider groups opinion on the matter. ;)

If you drop that entire squad, you will be saving 396pts, which puts you below your 2500pt mark. You can also crimp some points by going for 8 DA's per Serpent, as opposed to 10. I have foudn that the difference in effectiveness is usually negligible.

Regarding Heavy Support:
You can lose the Spirit Stones on the Walker's. They are a redundant upgrade, as per the vehicle squadron rules. That should save you around 60pts.

I am not entirely sure why you have gone with an EML/Star-cannon mix on the one Warwalker squad. You could do with some lance support, having a squad with Brightlance upgrades may be good. Or just go with straight EML.

Regarding HQ's:
I am not entirely sold on your Autarch load-out. I can see the reasons, as you have a lot of Outflanking units. However, one would probably be enough, and you list would really benefit from a Farseer with Guide and/or Doom. Regardless, if you keep the dual-Autarch system, try and grab them both a Fusion gun.

Regarding Elites:
You should try to do more Fire Dragons. As in, roll a second squad of Fire Dragons as opposed to a second squad of Scorpions. At that point grade, you will be seeing a lot of AV14. Dragons are the best we have to deal with it.

Regarding Fast attack:
I personally love Warp Spiders, and am willing to over-look their disgusting points cost. However, you can trim down the squad a tad to save some points for elsewhere. Losing 2 Spiders won't really hamper their effectiveness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Regarding Troops:
Troops are good, save for that blob of Wraithguard. I would drop the Wraithguard, despite being a Troop choice. Troop choice aside, they are still far too expensive for what they offer. Which is virtually nothing. If you can't accept that, don't ask for the wider groups opinion on the matter. ;)

If you drop that entire squad, you will be saving 396pts, which puts you below your 2500pt mark. You can also crimp some points by going for 8 DA's per Serpent, as opposed to 10. I have foudn that the difference in effectiveness is usually negligible.

Regarding Heavy Support:
You can lose the Spirit Stones on the Walker's. They are a redundant upgrade, as per the vehicle squadron rules. That should save you around 60pts.

I am not entirely sure why you have gone with an EML/Star-cannon mix on the one Warwalker squad. You could do with some lance support, having a squad with Brightlance upgrades may be good. Or just go with straight EML.

Regarding HQ's:
I am not entirely sold on your Autarch load-out. I can see the reasons, as you have a lot of Outflanking units. However, one would probably be enough, and you list would really benefit from a Farseer with Guide and/or Doom. Regardless, if you keep the dual-Autarch system, try and grab them both a Fusion gun.

Regarding Elites:
You should try to do more Fire Dragons. As in, roll a second squad of Fire Dragons as opposed to a second squad of Scorpions. At that point grade, you will be seeing a lot of AV14. Dragons are the best we have to deal with it.

Regarding Fast attack:
I personally love Warp Spiders, and am willing to over-look their disgusting points cost. However, you can trim down the squad a tad to save some points for elsewhere. Losing 2 Spiders won't really hamper their effectiveness.
I kept my Jump Autarch as He is becasue I think he fit his purpose as a nice CC support for the unit of Warpspiders. As for the the other one I gave him a fusion gun, hes going to be chilling with the Diresword DA's.

As for what I did change was a lot. I Dropped the unit of Scorpions and kept the one with the chainsabres as I like them and I suck at rolling.

I got rid of the blob as you suggested because I agree but I always like the way the wraith gaurd looked being backed up by a Wraithlord, just looks awesome but looks arent everything. I added another unit of firedragons gave them both crack shot and added dragons breath as I didnt think I had enough Anti horde in the list this way I can pop tanks or pop big squads orks or other hordes.
I had the spirit stones on there because I wasnt 100% clear on the squad rule when it applied to vechiles as I'm fairly new to eldar and haven't played with them yet still in modeling phase with them but they will be ready for the big day. If you could clarify the rule I would apprecaite it, as I think I'm miss understanding it.
Also I changed up the one squad of war walkers with EML's and SC's, I was thinking marine hunter fyi, but you brought up a good point and I am going to change it to EML's 3 and 3 Bright Lances, turn them more into tank hunters.
The thought of them outflanking and tank busting a Land Raider makes me giddi. Also I dropped 2 guys off both squads of DA's and the Warp Spiders.

Now I have another Issue with everything you see here I come 67 point short. :( so still need assistance as now I just dont know what to add or take away I was thinking about another troop choice but even a cheap guaridain unit would cost me at least 90+ points. Or should I just rebolster the warspiders and the one of the DA's or should I drop some more points to get in another trooop like DA's on foot, Gaurdains, or maybe even another Pathfinders lol. :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Regarding The Spirit stones on a Vehicle squadron:

Main Rule Book (pg. 64): Treat all stunned results (2 on the dmg table) as shaken (1 on the dmg table). The converse is that Immobilized results (4 on the dmg. table) count as wrecked (5 on the dmg. table).

The main point is that you don't need to buy a Stone for each Walker to do what being in a squadron will already be doing for them.

Regarding Points adding:

Well, give your WJG autarch a Fusion gun. That way you have one wound that will always ignore armor saves and likely insta-death any model it wounds (save MC's and Eternal Warriors).

Then, feel free to flesh some of those Fire Dragon or DA squads back out. I only recommended cutting bodies to save points if you needed to.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I really recommend taking the Bright Lances off of the War Walkers. Bright Lances are a tad too expensive to be on anything that isn't twin-linked or at least BS 4. If you want to find a place for them then Wave Serpents are just about as good of a place as any.

If War Walkers are Outflanking then they have a fairly good odds of getting shots at the rear armor of vehicles already, so the Lance effect may well be in waste at these moments, especially considering you have 2 units of Fire Dragons for AV 14. I wouldn't gamble 3 shots on War Walkers to handle any others (something close to a 17% chance).

Tourney on May 17th? That's 2 days fast on the heels of the May 15th Ard Boyz. So either you are where there isn't an Ard Boyz or you just can't seem to get your fill of tourneys, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your right I do like tourneys, but sense I havent played eldar enough I wont be taking it to the Ard boys, if I do go I will bring my Chaos but there not up to snuff as I just lost all interest in them. I would like to take my eldar to an ard boys but I think my inexperience would hurt me and it would get me stomped.

Ok I think this maybe be the final revision maybe. I changed the war walker squad to have 6 EML's rather than 3 EML's and 3 Bright Lances. I then used the extra points to get my Scorpions to 8 which makes the list 2488 points total. Looking Pretty solid list I think.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
That's sound ok, as 8 is often considered as an optimal number for an aspect warrior cost/effectiveness ratio.

Just think of the Walker squad as something that can handle hordes or MC/Tanks equally well. With that set up they are a very all around unit. Pinning is just an added bonus. Scatter Lasers can do most of that for cheaper, but the added strength could prove handy against some things.

Also, don't worry about the 12 points you seem to be under. I can fix that real quick. That Wraithlord set up actually costs 155 as opposed to 145. So there goes 10 points. 2498 is pretty darn close.

Think about using this list in the Ard Boyz if you get the chance. It will be good practice for the tourney on the 17th. All early army starters should expect to lose pretty often, and losing is one of the best ways to learn something. You can bet I will never forget to cast Fortune again! For the most part, this list looks like it would do fairly well in Ard Boyz. You can figure out all your quirks in one day and avoid/exploit them a couple days later. But that would be a heck of a lot of gaming within 3 days....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's sound ok, as 8 is often considered as an optimal number for an aspect warrior cost/effectiveness ratio.

Just think of the Walker squad as something that can handle hordes or MC/Tanks equally well. With that set up they are a very all around unit. Pinning is just an added bonus. Scatter Lasers can do most of that for cheaper, but the added strength could prove handy against some things.

Also, don't worry about the 12 points you seem to be under. I can fix that real quick. That Wraithlord set up actually costs 155 as opposed to 145. So there goes 10 points. 2498 is pretty darn close.

Think about using this list in the Ard Boyz if you get the chance. It will be good practice for the tourney on the 17th. All early army starters should expect to lose pretty often, and losing is one of the best ways to learn something. You can bet I will never forget to cast Fortune again! For the most part, this list looks like it would do fairly well in Ard Boyz. You can figure out all your quirks in one day and avoid/exploit them a couple days later. But that would be a heck of a lot of gaming within 3 days....
Thanks for catching my points mistake for some reason every other bright lance in the army cost 30 points but for some reason the wraith lord takes 40. With that being said it made the list look alot more sound and complete. There are a few wholes in the list I wanted to discuss and see what you guys thought.
First off is when I took out the blob of wraith guard I lost a tough troop choice, which also brought me down to 4 troops. The two DA's squads in WS's and the two Pathfinder squads, which will be supported by the wraith lord. Not to worried about the squads themselves but is 4 troops of eldar good enough for a 2500 point game? I would normally run about 5-6 for 5th edition with my chaos but thats space marines. With toughness 3 I'm a little worried if they will be enough to grab and hold objectives, what do you guys think?
Secondly there is the wraith lord and with wraith comes wraith site. I've have never had really bad luck with the wraith site and I'm not looking to replace my Autarchs for farseers, as I love them and they provide the synergy with this list. I'm not relying on the wraithlord for a lot other than to be like OMG it has a bright lance attached to it which can be nice for poping tanks from a distance and its going to chill with my pathfinders to scare away peasky out flanking units and sit on the objective with them in cover so it has a nice little cover save. So my thoughts here are should I drop the wraith lord to prevent the 1 in 6? 155 points I can get a falcon and then i can drop a WS from one of the FD's and put them in it to add a little more fire power to the list or I can change it up and get some blast templates in by adding a fire prism, or maybe even go crazy with 9 warwalkers tooled out with some MEQ killing weapons or some more tank busting? Personally I like the wraithlord but its has its one or two down sides.
Other than that I'm really happy with the list, and looking forward to rocking peoples worlds with it when I get passed the learning curve.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Regarding the Lord, I am honestly unsure about whether or not to drop him. Whether you throw him out for a Falcon or a Prism, you will still have a model with a big fat bulls-eye on it. Any of the 3 would all rank fairly high on the target priority list.

After thinking about it, it may be best to keep the Lord (I can't believe I am saying this...).

- The Wraithlord can walk around and take pot-shots at tanks, acting like a big scary gun platform. Because he is a MC, he doesn't have to worry about anything keeping him from shooting. Keep him away from an assault squads/fists, just in case he succumbs to Wraithsight and becomes an easy target.

- Anyway, if you drop him for a Falcon, you will have to make up the points cost for the Wave Serpent you no longer need. You also won't be adding much firepower, as the Falcon will be turbo-boosting the Dragons to their target (it will be unable to shoot).

- A Prism is pretty easy to shake, and the magic number for them is 2. If it takes even a glancing hit, it can't shoot, so is ultimately useless. The template could be nice for Horde control. If you decide to drop the Lord, this is number 2 for me.

I have found that the hardest part of playing Eldar is learning the trick of winning with fragile Troops. Remember that to win you only need to hold one more objective than your opponent. I would use the Pathfinders to control one, and just do my best to contest everything the opponent is holding with Grav-tanks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'd say go ahead and keep the Wraithlord as well, at this point.

Because getting a Falcon into enemy Melta range is still a bad thing. AP 1 is the worst enemy to them ever. Its better to sacrifice the cheaper Wave Serpent to such fire, as it is almost equally durable against Melta and the like.

I personally only consider those Pathfinders to be a single unit. Units of 5 models each with Space Marine leadership are not the most reliable, even with a 2+ cover save. In a set of 10 they are much more resilient to incoming fire. And, having a Wraithlord nearby is like a big sign screaming "Stay Away!"

Yes, 4 Troops is usually considered low at this points level. But with 4 I think you should be alright. Following the "1 Troop for every 500 Points" rule, I usually go a troop low myself and it tends to pay off. But like I said, I only consider your list to contain 3 Troops. It may be a bit risky, but if your Wraithlord can keep them back then it should work out fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK looks like I'm keeping the Wraith lord. The rest of the list is good I think and I will be putting finishes touches on the army and then enterting in the ard boys. Wish me luck and after the tourney I will post a small battle report. GLHF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts