Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So no doubt this section will get flooded with new 8th Edition lists for people to check out and, well, this is another truth be told.

Much like 5th Edition of 40k got me back into the hobby, 8th Edition is going to see me get into Fantasy. I had first thought of doing a Dark Elf army but the more I look at the lizards the more I want to do them. Plus I'm a huge fan of the Chakax model.

So anyway, here is my first attempt at a 2500 point army. Please load me with C & C so I can learn from my betters.

Lord
Slann Mage-Priest : two disciplines (Focus of Mystery, The Focused Ruination) cupped hands of the old ones 2 dispell = 415

Hero
Scar Veteran: Great weapon, scimitar of Sun Resplendent = 141
Skink Priest: level 2, Engine of the Gods, 1 dispell = 390pts

Core
Saurus x 18: spears, Champ = 228
Saurus x 18: spears = 216
Skink Skirmishers x 10 = 70

Special
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Temple Guard x 16: Command = 270

Rare
Ancient Stegadon = 275

Total: 2483

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Lord
Slann Mage-Priest : two disciplines

(Focus of Mystery, The Focused Ruination) cupped hands of the old ones
2 dispell = 415
Only one dispel scroll is allowed per army in 8th. Consider the Plaque ( i think) that allows you to ignore miscasts.
Hero
Skink Priest: level 2, Engine of the Gods, 1 dispell = 390pts
Only one dispel scroll is allowed per army in 8th. Consider giving this guy level 1. I'm thinking even using a skink on a Steggy is way dangerous with the new miscast tables the way they are. Choose an Ancient Steggy without priest on it. Add a second scar-vet with some of the saved points to lead one of your saurus blocks.
Core
Saurus x 18: spears = 216
Better at 2 blocks of 27+Scar Vet in each.

Special
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Temple Guard x 16: Command = 270
Temple guard needs to be 20 or more. Small blocks of troops are not going to make it in 8th I think.
Rare
Ancient Stegadon = 275
Good, a second Steggy would do you good, I think.
Total: 2483

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its actually pretty good. I think its effective and you have a little bit of everything in it. plus getting 27 is insane.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Drop the champions from your saurus. They just aren't worth it.
Drop your temple guard as well. With a Slann, they become walking dead as they will explode when he does miscast (as he will eventually).

I like to put a skink chief on a terradon to help with war machine hunting. The thing to remember in 8th is that you are movement 10, marching 20 with the flying units.

I like to put some chameleons into my army for the scouting they provide.

I think you need to add a group of salamanders (at least 2) or a group of razordons (again, at least 2).

The salamanders (if the errata holds up) are not breath weapons and can shoot every turn. That coupled with a panic check for the unit that takes a wound, has always worked in my favor. The tactic you want to use with the salamanders is to shoot across the enemy flank so that you maximize the number of models hit. When you take 2 or 3 salamanders and you get the positioning right, you can break 2 units fairly easily.

Razordon is a little more sure to hit, but the enemy has to be within 12 inches. On the plus side, you can stand and shoot with a razordon though (you cannot with a salamander.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I can see the Salamanders going both ways in reference to a Breath weapon. Though, I do believe they should be Fire Throwers, I'm not entirely convinced. Only FAQs will tell.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Salamanders suck though. Razordons are much better IMO. Id rather not guess. Only advantage is you get to measure (unfair) and whatever the template touches is hit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm just gonna say one thing, the most important thing about your list:
Drop the TG, they will explode when Slann miscasts, he will miscast more then once and you can only have on cupped hands, just drop them, make the slann ethereal and add something extra, more saurus or whatever you like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys.

Here is my second attempt.

Lord
Slann Mage-Priest : three disciplines (Focus of Mystery, Transcendent Healing, Higher State of Consciousness) = 375

Hero
Scar Vet: Great Weapon, Piranha Blade = 126
Skink Chief: Light armour, Terradon, Javlin, Staff of the lost sun = 130

Core
Saurus x 27: spears = 324
Saurus x 27: spears = 324
Skink Skirmishers x 15 = 105

Special
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Terradon Riders x 3 = 90
Chameleon Skinks x 10 = 120
Stegadon = 235

Rare
Ancient Stegadon = 275
Razordon Hunting Pack x 2 = 150

Better? Worse?

I tried really hard to get some Kroxigors in there, when I up this list to 3k I def think a unit of 6 Kroxigors will be on the cards.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont see why your giving them great weapons and magic weapons because you are required to use your magic weapons all the time and you cant switch out so your wasting precious points with all of that. drop those great weapons, and make your slann a BSB too. I say figure out how to get your points back into your temple guard. The slann will definitely need them. He is a magic powerhouse and lots of shooting will go into him. Best to keep him protected and take the risk of the miscast. Thats why you take the soul of stone in this case. if you get a terrible roll (but with the new chart anythings terrible) you can re-roll it and hope you dont totally kill them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do'h. School boy error. I'll take off the great weapons etc.

In regards to the slann, I believe higher state of conscious is the skills that makes the slann woundable with magic weapons only. Couple in his regen he should be fine.

I'm thinking I may drop all the skinks to bring in some slann guard and maybe even a unit of Kroxigors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah do that if you want and lower your saurus count. 27 strong is way too big. They are going to go last because of their initiative but theyre not going anywhere. with LD8 on 3D6 taking away the highest your not really going anywhere.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
8th edition is going to favor large blocks of troops. And going last won't be so much a problem with "stepping up". Especially since Charging doesn't grant Always Strike First. Lizards are likely to be going 2nd no matter what, so large blocks are now required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts