Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my plan for my English Civil War themed Empire army. Go easy on me because this is my first serious fantasy list :D

Lords

Wizard Lord 240
Lvl 4
Lore of Metal
Rod of Power

Wizard Lord 210
Lvl 4
Lore of Heavens

Heroes

Captain of the Empire 83
Armour of Meteroic Iron
Pistol
Shield

Captain of the Empire 89
BSB
Heavy Armour

Core

Spearman 236
36 Models (6x6)
Shields
Full Command

Detachments:
15 Halberdiers w/ Shields 90
10 Handgunners 80

Spearman 236
36 Models (6x6)
Shields
Full Command

Detachments:
10 Handgunners 80

Handgunners 80
10 Models

Special

Great Cannon 100
Great Cannon 100

Pistoliers 187
10 Models
Musician

Pistoliers 187
10 Models
Musician

Rare

Steam Tank 300
Rocket Battery 115

Total: 2503

I know they did have steam tanks and wizards 400 years ago but I know I'm gonna need magic and I love the Steam Tank model!

What do you think?

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
No saves on your wizards is a VERY bad idea. call it the will to fight or something if you want to keep your theme, but they need something. the rest looks fine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
to me taking two level 4 wizards seems a bit useless average dice into power pool is meant to be 7 and most people will use between 1 - 3 dice per cast? to me i would prefer an arch lector and any spare dice you have throw into his buffs (im pretty sure they had battle crazed friars and monks 400 years ago lol) hope this helps

apart from that nice list

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Lords

Wizard Lord 240
Lvl 4
Lore of Metal
Rod of Power

Wizard Lord 210
Lvl 4
Lore of Heavens

Although this is a matter of personal preference the lore of Life is way better than lore of heavens. But like i said its your call

Heroes

Captain of the Empire 83
Armour of Meteroic Iron
Pistol
Shield

Is there any need for a shield considering the guy now has a 1+ AS? I would go for a GW the armur should keep him alive long enough to hit the guy.
I don't know how you would make room points wise for it but i highly reccommend taking a warrior priest. In 8th these guys +1 dispel dice is huge , also its nice to have all those lovely bound spells especially the unbreakable one and if hes in a spot of bother he can give himself a 4+ ward which combined with his 1+ AS is quite good. Also the hatred he grant is amazing with spearmen due to all the rerolls.

Captain of the Empire 89
BSB
Heavy Armour

This might sound a little stupid but i'm gonna geuss he hasn't got full plate armour because of points?

Core

Spearman 236
36 Models (6x6)
Shields
Full Command

Again i'm not sure how you would get points for this but getting these guys upto 40 would be a brilliant idea due to the extra attacks especially if you have that warrior priest.I'm gonna be a bit blunt here so don't take any offense to it , currently in 8th spearmen are the worst of the 3 main statetroops.I don't mean they are bad i just mean they are just not as good as the other two.

Detachments:
10 Handgunners 80

Detachments have only one job which is to negate rank bonus etc. They do this better by staying alive. I would reccommend taking swordsmen instead of halberds for that reason.

Spearman 236
36 Models (6x6)
Shields
Full Command

Detachments:
10 Handgunners 80

Same as before

Handgunners 80
10 Models

Special

Great Cannon 100
Great Cannon 100

Solid

Pistoliers 187
10 Models
Musician

Pistoliers 187
10 Models
Musician

Perhaps if you wanted to squeeze in any of the reccomendations i listed above removing one of these units would be the best way to fund that.

Rare

Steam Tank 300

Steam tanks do have a awesome model , but be warned they came out quite weak in 8th as EVERYTHING can now wound them which isn't good with all the 2nd rank attacking now and all those horde armies that are now popular.
They have a great modle and unique rules and are fun , i'm just warning you that they die a little easier now.
You probably know this but after the FAQ STanks were made T10 so they are a bit more resistank to canons.

Rocket Battery 115

Total: 2503

What do you think?

Pretty solid , all of the tweaks i reccommend will help you i swear.
I don't know which models you have or how many and you probably know this but in 8th the best block statetroop is the halberdier and the best detachment is the swordsmen.
Good list :eek:k:

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
One thing spot, with the shield he gets the 6++ save! But other than that, he is spot on (no pun intended) with his suggestions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The list looks really solid. You do have one glaring flaw though. For horde type armies like empire the BSB is absolutely vital in keeping alive and HA just isnt enough. Put the armour of meteoric iron on the BSB and consider swapping the other captain out for a warrior priest. Those guys are badass in 8th edition:p

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
One thing spot, with the shield he gets the 6++ save! But other than that, he is spot on (no pun intended) with his suggestions.
Ye forgot about that with the shield , but really 6++ are sort of crap and tbh the +2 S is way better on an empire character cause of our crap profiles.

O yeah ive just noticed another thing with the list , if you do decide to stick with halberdiers for your detchments instead of swordsmen which are better then removing the shields would be a good idea as they will gain almost no benefit from them as halberds are 2 handed and they don't really protect from range as most ranged attacks either have high stregth or have AP.

Love the pun btw :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts