Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Army Name: Warherd of the Flaming Hoof

Special Notes
- Pretty straight forward list. Horde of beasts marching at the enemy receiving buffs and a couple of ambushers for flanking and small units of war machine killers

LORDS

Lord: Beastlord (with Bestigors): 245pts
- Armor of Silvered Steel
- The Steel Claws
- Potion of Strength

Lord 2: Great Bray Shaman (with Bestigors): 325pts
- Lvl 4
- Lore of Beasts
- Jagged Dagger
- Fencers Blades
- Talisman of Preservation

HEROES

Hero 1: Wargor (with Gors): 206pts
- BSB
- The Beast Banner
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Gnarled Hide

Hero 2: Gorebull (with Ungors): 222pts
- Sword of Strife
- Dragon Helm
- Heavy Armor
- Shield

CORE

Core 1: 50 Ungors: 315pts
- Spears
- Full Command

Core 2: 20 Ungors (ambush): 135pts
- Spears
- Full Command

Core 3: 30 Gors: 265pts
- Additional Hand Weapons
- Full Command

Core 4: 20 Gors (ambush): 185pts
- Additional Hand Weapons
- Full Command

Core 5: 6 Ungor Raiders: 36pts

Core 6: 5 Ungor Raiders (ambush): 30pts

SPECIAL

Special 1: 30 Bestigors: 425pts
- Full Command
- Manbane Standard

Special 2: 5 Harpies: 55pts

Special 3: 5 Harpies: 55pts

Army Total: 2499

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I'm not a fan of the beastmen ambush- I've found that once they are out of the general and BSB's Ld bubble they tend to panic/break and run very easily.. plus bestial fury gets unlikely to help.
Now something that I am a fan of... beastmen monsters. Really, any army of beastmen really should max out of them since they are simply amasing. My favourite is the cygor, giving you a stonethrower (very useful), magic defence (funny, but not great) and half decent in combat, then you have the ghorgon which is devastating and the Jabberslythe which is funny. The giant is often overlooked, rightly so in my mind, but its still a reliably combat killer (and everyone always fears them, for their potential if nothing else). Giants are also one of the best flanker/tarpits beastmen have- if they charge into the flank of an enemy unit they'll almost certainly have to reform to face it in oder to beat it (if they dont have very hard characters- and the giant wont break and run from SCR)... which allows the rest of your army access to the flank (as long as the giant can survive for a turn).
- I like the cygor because it gives you something to counter everything- land a stone on an enemy monster and its likely to die, while at the same time hit a core unit and you'll do a lot of damage... keep it out of a flank and its still a risk for the enemy to advance with it unapposed.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ambush is nice but not exactly for Ungors. Though if you have a few Wargors run ahead and join the ambushing units when they arrive, it might surprise your opponent. Just make sure you take Kazrak so your Ambushers will arrive when and where you want them to. Then again, the 91 points (Heavy Armour, Shield) might not be worth the Ld8 hes giving those runts. I've yet to see it for myself.

The big boys (Giants, Ghorgons, Cygors) are nice, but they're pretty pricey. If you plan on taking these guys, you'll have to forget about ambushing Gors. I'd forget about Ungors, unless its a block of 40-50 with the General and BSB nearby (meaning no ambush). Ld6 is not something to rely on. I think Ungors are best when they have bows and are ignored for being weaker then a fart. But when the fart hits your nose it makes you weep, just when you were about to shoot up those big bulls and goats coming your way. :p But seriously, the 2 pts/model difference between Ungors and Gors is definately worth it, since you're getting +1WS, T, and Ld, all of them dead important in a Beastman army (especially T since we're not known for having a noteworthy armour save :p).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I initially had wanted to fit a big beast into this army but I only had a little over 200pts left when I got to that point. That would mean removing my ambushing Gors and I wasnt too comfortable with that So I added the ambushing Ungors and Ungor Raiders.

As far as the beasts go I like the Ghorgon the most. He has the most wounds, toughness, and attacks of the group. Plus he is stubborn at Ld 10 so he can hold up an infantry unit all game by himself until he eventually kills them all. I am a big fan of the Cygor too with him being a stone thrower but the WS 2 is terrible and he just isnt as tough as the Ghorgon. Im also partly reluctant to take them because a good cannon shot brings down my 275pts.

I also feel kind of naked without minotaurs in my list. I'm one of the few people that likes the models and they are just absolute killing machines. I'm relying on most of the killing power I have coming from buffs and my characters though a block of frenzied Ungors can do its fair share of damage by itself.

I guess I will have to consider whether or not the extra couple of banners are worth losing the sheer power of one of the rares.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you like Minotaurs more then why don't you build a list with them? Its pretty simple: Brass Bull as General, a Doombull for BSB, a lvl1 Bray Shaman for Chalice of the Dark Rain (you could put him in a Chariot if you wanted, but he can run alone, the Chalice is the important thing), a couple Tuskgor Chariots, 2x10 Ungor Raiders with Musicians, and spend the rest of your points on two huge Minotaur units with no extra equipment, just a Musician. Theres no point in giving them AHW, since you won't be getting the extra attacks from the back, the GW ruins their already average-ish Initiative, and the Shield is utterly pointless.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am wanting this list to be an infantry heavy list because I think a horde army could be fun. I eventually want to have a ton of minotaurs but not right off the bat. I just was thinking that my list could do with a little extra punch and minotaurs punch very well. Also I don't ever take special characters. Our gaming group never allows special characters and I personally love to create a back story for my general.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your Gorebull will not get Look out sir so I would suggest giving him the charmed shield instead of the Dragonhelm. The charmed shield you will use each game and the Dragonhelm is situational. Plus its pretty darm cool when you shrug off a cannonball! :victory:

I would drop the banner on the 20 ungor ambushers.

Other then that you have a pretty solid ambushing side. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts