Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some ogres to add to my warriors of chaos list.

Turns out i quite like the ogres and their brutish charm! Hence i got a few more than expected and have a list to show you.

View and opinions would be good as i am yet to play a game with them.

Total 2246

1 Tyrant @ 306 pts (General; Ogre Club; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear)
1 Ogre Blade
1 Talisman of Preservation
1 Potion of Speed
1 Mawseeker

1 Slaughtermaster @ 245 pts (Hand Weapon; Causes Fear)
1 Bloodcleaver
1 Wyrdstone Necklace

1 Bruiser (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 200 pts (Ogre Club; Light Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Causes Fear)
1 Obsidian Lodestone

10 Ironguts @ 550 pts (Always Strikes Last; Bellower Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear)
1 Gutlord (Always Strikes Last; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Bull Standard

15 Bulls @ 650 pts (Bellower Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Ogre Club; Ironfist; Causes Fear)
1 Crusher (Ogre Club; Ironfist)

2 Leadbelchers @ 110 pts (Leadbelcher Cannon; Light Armour; Causes Fear)

1 Gorger @ 75 pts (Causes Fear; Killing Blow; Unbreakable)

Local limits are 2 duplicate special and 1 rare, otherwise my second gorger would be in there.

:nono:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would suggest more ironguts, and cant gorgers be taken as a unit of more than one? That would negate the local limit. This army doesnt look like it will bring enough punch with it to be honest, it is VERY small, but as your ogres you know that. Let us know how the game went though!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah alas Gorgers are unit size of 1. :angry:

I've been playing warriors of chaos with a 40-50 horde of khorne halberds so i'm interested to see how the similar dimension of side plays!

I do have a scrap launcher, other characters, 100 noblar fighters and more leadbelchers to tweak it a bit of needs be!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah alas Gorgers are unit size of 1. :angry:

I've been playing warriors of chaos with a 40-50 horde of khorne halberds so i'm interested to see how the similar dimension of side plays!

I do have a scrap launcher, other characters, 100 noblar fighters and more leadbelchers to tweak it a bit of needs be!
Ahh But warriors have quite a few distinct advantages, namely armour, higher LD and re-rolling panic tests. Something Else I noticed only 1 level 4 might not be enough at these points seeing as how a lot of people are in for the spam of low levels, you might be overwhelmed. But obviously the stupid ogre restrictions become an issue. I would think maybe find a way to bring more leadbelchers, maybe bring the army up to 2500 since that is the standard size for games anyways now. :eek:k:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
1 Tyrant @ 306 pts (General; Ogre Club; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear)
1 Ogre Blade
1 Talisman of Preservation
1 Potion of Speed
1 Mawseeker
Seems to me to be a bit of a 1 trick pony. I think a standard great weapon will do just as well as the ogre blade+PoS, although I would just use the tenderiser instead (always go last, rather then usually strike last for a magical weapon that does D3 wounds- awesome in challenges or against enemy monsters/characters). My standard build is tenderiser, greedy fist, wyrdstone, luck gnoblar and heavy armour... it can take on pretty much anything short of a tooled up bloodthirster, and if anyone is stupid enought to try to hide a character by accepting my challenge ona unit champion I'll be looking to get the full +6 combat res without breaking a sweat.

1 Slaughtermaster @ 245 pts (Hand Weapon; Causes Fear)
1 Bloodcleaver
1 Wyrdstone Necklace
good choice, though the bloodcleaver isnt really needed- get him in the unit with the obsidian lodestone and you'll have a 2++ vs gutmagic wounds. Take a luck gnoblar though- 5pts and it is about the equivalent of an extra half wound. I wouldnt ever take a butcher/slaughtermaster without an arcane item- the skullmantle should be in any list you ever do (-1 to all fear, panic and break tests caused by the unit with the butcher- it even gets round steadfast) but the scrolls are good too... if nothing else take the hellheart, its hilarious (or really boring- a lot of people just turn coward and kill a magic phase straight off- makes it a very cheap version of the vortex shard)

1 Bruiser (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 200 pts (Ogre Club; Light Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Causes Fear)
1 Obsidian Lodestone
NOOOOOOO, dont take ht elodestone, be an ogre and take 3 gnoblar thiefstones instead- exact same effect, exact same cost... but more fluffy :p
I tend to put MR3 on my slaughtermaster and tool my BSB up to survive. Heavy armour, gut plate of some sort and a magic weapon... or take the silvered armour for a 2+ save and throw on the dragonbane gem incase of bloodthirster attack and you'll be solid

10 Ironguts @ 550 pts (Always Strikes Last; Bellower Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear)
1 Gutlord (Always Strikes Last; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Bull Standard
fine, Im not a fan of the bull standard but its alright. I havent really got my ironguts working in 8th yet- a unit f 17 was immense but too costly and when Ive taken unit of 6-9 they just havent had the punch I needed... Im still playtesting.

15 Bulls @ 650 pts (Bellower Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Ogre Club; Ironfist; Causes Fear)
1 Crusher (Ogre Club; Ironfist)
I would never take any special weapons on bulls in 8th. You are spending 75pts on ironfists which will only give a couple extra attacks from the unit (if you go hoard its 6A minus 1 per chacter that joins the unit), even worse you lose the armour piercing effect off every bull in the unit. My personal preference is +10pts on yours; 660pts gets you 18 bulls (which if 6 wide is 3 deep... meaning they can all attack, so it pumps out 54 S4 AP attacks with a standard and a bellower, I'll be trying to get a champ in there but only for the +50pts you get if champs kill characters in challenges, other then that they arent needed.

Im unlucky with leadbelchers so never use them... some people like them. Be careful what you shoot at- you'll often do more points worth of damage to yourself then the enemy... they do come into their own against small units of elite elves such as swordmasters. In theory they are good against those annoying 'march blocker' units but since they are almost always cheap skirmishers its rare it'll be beneficial to shoot them.

1 Gorger @ 75 pts (Causes Fear; Killing Blow; Unbreakable)
Im loving the gorgers in 8th, I own 2, I use 2... simple logic to that. I occasionally use Skrag to get them as special choices, but I tend to love my Tyrant too much to do that too often
Its an ok list, although it seems to be a little low on the unit count and the strength of units: Ive managed one or other in 8th but any compromise has so far been pretty poor. It should still do alright though.
A few other builds of ogre character that I've been working with are these:
300- Tyrant- Fencer’s Blades, Glittering Scales, Greyback Pelt, Dragonbane Gem
214- Bruiser- BSB, Greedy Fist, Wyrdstone, luck gnoblar, potion of speed, warrior bane, heavy armour

The tyrant build is pure evil since any WS5-10 enemies hit you on a 6 and anything less then 4 needs a 7 (6 followed by a 4+) but I felt mean so stopped using it :p
The BSB is built to survive, being able to take on almost every hero in the game, and most lords... plus he carries the BSB. He tries to hit strong enemies first and either kill or at least weaken their return attacks... then his magical armour, ward and reroll can all kick in to try to remove magical weapons before they kill him- from experience greedy fist+wyrdstone+luck gnoblar is incredibly hard to get though to do enough wounds to kill an ogre hero/lord.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good comments and i agree with a lot of what you have said! I have a tweaked list which i think is better, but i'll definitely take some of your comments onboard! I too love the gorger; but this is for a FB tmnt tomorrow and i am bucking the trend by taking a so-called unfancied list.

For sheer amusement they have edged out my Empire gunline and WoC horde.

Rep for you sir.

·
Registered
353 Posts
One thing I just thought I'd mention, bulls do still get armour peircing even when armed with Ironfists. Tis in the faq

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
One thing I just thought I'd mention, bulls do still get armour peircing even when armed with Ironfists. Tis in the faq
Sorry Putch, but you have the wrong end of the stick. You keep the ogre club when upgrading to the ironfist, but you always did. You can choose to use the ironfist or the ogre club in combat but not both (cant use 2 special weapons at the same time), even if you could you wouldnt be able to get the parry save since the ogre club is a special weapon, not a bog standard hand weapon (just like a magical 1-handed sword isnt a hand weapon).
This is yet another disadvantage of the ironfist over a standard shield- its a weapon, which can only act as a shield, and only does so in combat.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry Putch, but you have the wrong end of the stick. You keep the ogre club when upgrading to the ironfist, but you always did. You can choose to use the ironfist or the ogre club in combat but not both (cant use 2 special weapons at the same time), even if you could you wouldnt be able to get the parry save since the ogre club is a special weapon, not a bog standard hand weapon (just like a magical 1-handed sword isnt a hand weapon).
This is yet another disadvantage of the ironfist over a standard shield- its a weapon, which can only act as a shield, and only does so in combat.

ahhh that does suck then, my mistake!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts