Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greets! I'm new here, just returning to the games (Warhammer and 40k). I've got a match coming up and am looking for some advice. This is going to be my first game of Warhammer in over a decade, and is against a person who plays regularly. I'd like to give a good showing.

Here's what I know about my opponent.. He plays Vampire Counts. I watched him play a match recently, and he loves his ghouls. What he fielded was a horde sized block of ghouls, a unit or two of skeletons, a small unit of mounted wights, a 20 or so strong unit of grave guard. A vampire lord and 2 other vampires, one tooled up for magic, one for combat.

After the battle, he talked a lot about how awesome the ghouls were in a horde, so I expect to see that popping up again. I also know he focuses on the raising dead and danse macabre spells.

Revised, again:

Lord
Slann
Battle standard bearer, Focus of mystery (Lore of Light), Focused Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Cupped hands of the Old Ones

Hero
Skink Priest
Cube of darkness

Saurus Scar-Veteran #1
Hand weapon, light armor, shield

Saurus Scar-Veteran #2
Hand weapon, light armor, shield

Core
Saurus Warriors
24 with full command, hand weapons and shield
Saurus Scar-Veteran #1 with this unit

Saurus Warriors
24 with full command, hand weapons and shield
Saurus Scar-Veteran #2 with this unit

Saurus Warriors
25 with full command, hand weapons and shield

Skinks
12 with javelins and shield

Skinks
12 with javelins and shield

Special
Temple Guard
20 with musician and standard bearer
Slann with this unit

Rare
Salamander
Salamander with extra handler

Salamander
Salamander with extra handler

removed all the formatting off this post- it was trebbling the length of the entry... please leave size, colour and font as standard for the main parts of your posts, especially if you are coding it so that the size and colour are exactly the same as everyone else's (it just wastes hard drive space and increases load times).
- T/S

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, this will be solely against his vampire counts. I'll have to come up with a more general list later on, but need to pick up some more miniatures. Most of what I have right now is more rank and file, and old.

Note to Tim/Steve: Sorry about the color issue, I was pasting the post from Word, and it was coming out as black on black background, thought I needed to change it. Can see now it's best to just type it in.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To add back in the kroxigor, I'd have to drop my saurus groups down a bit.

I can drop the plague of dominion (wasn't thinking, that's a bad choice to have in there), take becalming cogitation, and then add the cube of darkness to the skink priest.. plan on using the cube early on, before he gets killed off, and deprive him of one magic phase if I'm lucky.

Or do the becalming, skip the cube, add 5 chameleons, and drop both regular skink units back down to 10.

Thoughts?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Updated the list with a couple of small tweaks (on the items/disciplines). Really not sure about taking out the scar veterans. I'm thinking towards three possible cases:

1. They run into a unit without a vampire in it - I should be able to rack up some extra kills with the scars, win the combat by more, and cause more of a crumble.

2. They run into a unit with a vampire in it - The odds seem against the scars, but they do have the same strength, toughness and attacks as a vampire lord. One less wound, and lower initiative, but will also end up with a 5+ armor and 6+ ward save. Decided against the magic weapons, but could drop a few troops to put something on them. At any rate, if I can get the Time Warp or Speed of Light cast, they would have a decent chance. In the meantime, the champion and rest of the saurus can keep chewing up the rank and file undead.

3. They run into a unit with a vampire in it - The vampire challenges, I accept with the unit champion, and let the scar veteran tear up the rank and file.

The banner of discipline might be good, I'm hoping I wouldn't need it though. Instead of LD10 stubborn with a reroll, as it stands the unit will still be LD9, stubborn with a reroll.

And right now none of my saurus have spears on the models. They'd probably be okay with me proxying, but haven't really thought a lot about it. That's something I'll have to consider.

Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.