Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playtesting my army that called for a ton of Phoenix Guard before buying all of 'em, I discovered it really wasn't that good. So I've decided to turn towards a more traditional army build. I'll replace the swordmasters with White Lions at some point, but for the time being I'm going to use the swordmasters purely because I have the models, and three ranks of pewter is about sixty-five bucks these days.

Lords/
Prince
-Great weapon, Vambraces of Defense, Armour of Caledor

Heroes/
Mage
-Lv2 High Magic, Seerstaff of Saphery (usually will select Shield of Saphery and Fury of Khaine for spells via the Seerstaff, although I can see instances of using Curse of Arrow Attraction as well... so that sort of depends on the opponent.)

Dragon Mage
-Lv2 Fire Magic, Skeinsliver, Dispel Scroll, Sun Dragon

Core Units/
20 Spearmen
-Full Command

20 Spearmen
-Full Command

Special Units/
10 Silver Helms
-Full Command, Shields

10 Silver Helms
-Full Command, Shields

14 Swordmasters of Hoeth
-Full Command, War Banner

Rare Units/
Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

With my previous concept army, I found myself getting horribly outmaneuvered, and even though the Phoenix Guard cause Fear and all that fun stuff, combat resolution just started to stack up against them. I've opted for more fast units in this army. The basic plan is to go first, since there are few placements in deployment and the Skeinsliver adds +1, so I ought to probably have +2 to my roll most of the time; then apply immediate pressure with the Silver Helms and Dragon Mage. The Spearmen and Swordmasters advance as a second wave and engage the enemy battle line where the dragon hasn't broken through. The repeaters are there purely to cut down ugly stuff like Hammerers and Chosen Warriors, who'll give my T3 Elves a severe ass whoopin'.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
your list looks sound to me apart from it illegal for armies 2000pts-2999pts you reqiure 3 core choices. Why have you given a elf a great weapon??? elves are one of teh quickest races and you give them a great weapon and just take no advantage of teh initiative of like 7+

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The number of core, special, and rare choices is different for High Elves-- if I really felt like it, I could take six Special Choices in 2000 points. I only need one Core for every 1000 points, more or less.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
yeah it is pretty tasty :)
they also only need 2 core choices as they are an elite force, get an extra special slot AND have double the amount of rare choices, although both there rares are now one per slot rather than 2.

Suggestion, give the Dragonmage a silverwand. That way he has three spells, and as he gets an extra die per spell he tries to cast its really very good.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The number of core, special, and rare choices is different for High Elves-- if I really felt like it, I could take six Special Choices in 2000 points. I only need one Core for every 1000 points, more or less.
thats fucking insane dude

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I playtested the list, and despite getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter, I think it's quite solid. The Dwarf rune, Master Rune of Challenge, pretty much screws anyone using a large monster like a dragon. My buddy uses it in tandem with a Lord and large unit of Hammerers, so my dragon didn't get a chance to Terrify anyone or even do that much in combat since he had to go flying in unsupported on turn 2. The dice were sort of against me in the game, too, although my Prince took down something stupid like thirty dwarves all by himself. He kept losing combat due to static resolution, but he was killing his share.

I think that I'll probably swap the Swordmasters for Phoenix Guard, since I play against Dwarfs with a lot of guns quite often, and the 4+ ward save will help them actually get into combat.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
the list looks really small considering its 2250, although i know what thats about, high elves are very expensive. I think a second ranks on the silver helms really is an indulgence, seeing as you should only really be taking them over dragon princes if you need to scrimp on points and then i think units should only be 5 or 6 models with A musician probably and no other command models. Dragon princes hit much harder, have better ws and ld and are immune to fire, something that can't be over looked. You could save points dropping them to single ranks with maybe 6/7 models to allow a few cas on the way in, drop the champs at the very least and poss get another unit into the army,
Another boltthrower would help considerable against dwarves to do some rank thinning before you charge.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about that pretty extensively, and I figure it like this.

Most infantry have a static combat resolution of 5 (three ranks, numbers, and a standard) against heavy cavalry-- generally, people run rank and file infantry in bricks of around 20. To win combat, the Silver Helms have to kill six models like that, which isn't likely with only five models. It's not even that likely with the extra rank. With the Champion, I'm throwing six S5 attacks with the lances on the charge, assuming all five models line up properly (since they don't always). The horses throw another five S3 attacks. To have any real chance of inflicting six casualties, I'd need to basically kill someone with all of the Elves' attacks, and one with the horses (which is the most likely outcome of killing six models.) If I kill five, I break even by having a banner, assuming I don't take casualties. That extra rank is a point of combat resolution, which is really important.

The bolt throwers actually did an obscene amount of damage in the game-- they alone gunned down most of the enemy Hammerers, and they picked off the war machine crews, which let my Elves get stuck in. Bad dice in combat on my part lead to my Elves deciding they'd rather hoof it back towards my lines, which is why I lost.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if your struggling to do that kinda damage with silver helms then maybe dont use silverhelms to try to break up infantry blocks.

There are a few options that will help with that though i think, firstly swapping them out for dragon princes is an option. With an extra attack each, i would suggest 6 wide giving you 12 attacks at a higher ws. You should get alot more wounds that way.

Next option would be dropping a rank, and adding a chariot with the points. Tagginbg these together for combine charges will hopefully really up you potential cas on that charging turn.

Next option would be giving them a combat character to beef up the damage they will do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts