Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first Fantasy army was Orcs, and I lost constantly with them because I tried to play them like they were Warriors of Chaos-- I brought waaaay too many Black Orcs. With 8th around the corner, I thought I might revitalize the army, and take advantage of stuff like Steadfast and the Horde rule. I'm more familiar with Fantasy now, too, and I think an Orc army might work better for me now. It's a change of pace from my usual Warriors of Chaos routine, if nothing else. Let me know what you think.

LORD/
Black Orc Warboss
-Shield, Armour of Destiny, Sword of Strife

HERO/
Orc Shaman
Lv2, Idol of Mork

HERO/
Orc Shaman
Lv2

HERO/
Black Orc Big Boss
-Battle Standard Bearer, Armed to da Teef, Armour of Silvered Steel

HERO/
Black Orc Big Boss
-Heavy Armour, Shield, Armed to da Teef

CORE/
39 Boyz
-Full Command, Extra Choppas

CORE/
39 Boyz

CORE/
39 Boyz

CORE/
39 Boyz

CORE/
10 Arrer Boyz

CORE/
10 Arrer Boyz

SPECIAL/
Spear Chukka x2

SPECIAL/
Spear Chukka x2

SPECIAL/
Spear Chukka x2

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I like the list only real changes I'd make would be to drop a few boltthrowers in favour of a rock lobba, the template will help thin down big units before your orcs get there, Where is shaga's sword of strikin?, or what ever it's called (the one that gives you an extra attack for every nearby character) With the slot limit gone many armies will either spam characters or keep their characters close to benefit from bsb etc giving you potentially unit destroying numbers of attacks. I'd also drop the archers so you can get the points to equip the characters better there are so many sneaky and cheap magic items it would be rude not to.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, dropping the archers to get points to better-equip the characters isn't an option-- the heroes, as they currently stand, are exactly 25% of the army's points.

I might replace two bolt throwers with a stone thrower, though. I'll have to playtest that and see which works better. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been toying around with the list some more, and it occured to me that as they currently stand, this army has a 44'' battle line. Obviously, that's too big. Dropping one unit of Boyz would let me bring four units of Spider Riders with short bows and musicians, however, and not only would that cut 12'' off of the spread of the battle line, but it'd provide some faster units which could hit flanks and perhaps just as importantly, guard flanks. Thoughts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i would personaly keep the block of boyz as i dont beleive that the spider riders will achieve anything except for getting shot :/ or replace one of the units with a large block of savage orcs? savge orcs are extremly nasty in my opinion and their lack of armour is not so much of a problem now that every unit has practicly lost armour :/ they would be espescialy effective if you could get a savage boss in for them :D hope this helps :) the large battleline of your army i do not see as a prblem and also makes it more problematic for the enemy to flank you :)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had originally considered doing an army of Savage Orcs. Unfortunately, the models are all metal, and run $40 for ten. When you need 200 of 'em, that's not happening. The regular Boyz aren't really workable as Savage Orcs, I don't think, which is how I landed on regular Boyz.

I'm not sure it'd necessarily be bad if the spider riders got shot up. They'd be getting shot instead of the Boyz, which would keep their ranks intact. A combination of Steadfast and The Horde will be what makes the army work. However, I'm open to suggestions about what could potentially fill the same role as the spider riders, if you've got any other ideas for units that could act as flank guards and harassment units.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If you want a mobile flanking force then your probably better off with chariots as they dont need to worry about animosity and there is the added bonus of actually killing stuff with impact hits before you get hit back which adds psycological benefit as most armies will get to fight first,
Using spider riders would work but you can pretty much bet that when you need them they'd squabble, failing that a giant or some trolls could lay down the hurt if the enemy are already engaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts