Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Release schedule for the rest of the year.

via Stickmonkey

May: High Elves
June: Eldar
July: Apocalypse
August: Lizardmen
September: Blood Bowl
October: Space Marines
November: Dwarves?
December: Hobbit
January: Tyranids

I had Dwarves a lot sooner than others, so its probably safe to leave a question mark. It could possibly be brettonians or wood elves. Im basing my prediction of Dwarves on where I recall them being design wise, which was right after lizardmen.

I've had multiple confirmations of space marines being the last 40k codex of 2013 and Tyranids being the first codex of 2014.

October is a Black Box release, blood bowl and Warhammer quest have come up, although...it could be something surprisingly different...

When Hastings weighs in, I'd go with his schedule always

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
feels about right, it doesn't seem logical/practical for 40k to have so much...besides getting new Apoc & bloodbowl is gonna be amazing.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like it or not, 40k is GW's biggest seller, so it makes sense businesswise to push products for that.

While I would like to see all the stuff that really needs updating or release done sooner rather then later, have to remember gw's a business and they have to do what makes sense for their profit margins so they can keep producing and creating the new stuff and games for everyone.... Also have to remember, no other miniature game company in the world has its own chain of stores you can drop into. Have to remember they've got to pay for those too.

Anyway.. roll on September for Blood Bowl!

What.. my pictures of the Emperor model got taken down? :D

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Amusingly enough I mentioned in a PM recently that I expected that if Marines where getting a release this year it'd have to be by October.

Either I'm getting better at discerning these things or my brain is picking up GW radio signals. o.o

·
Registered
480 Posts
Still dont see Templars, still dont care about GWs piss poor business practices.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Amusingly enough I mentioned in a PM recently that I expected that if Marines where getting a release this year it'd have to be by October.

Either I'm getting better at discerning these things or my brain is picking up GW radio signals. o.o
Wearing the foil hat and picking up their signal... that's new.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Still dont see Templars, still dont care about GWs piss poor business practices.
Actually I've foud the more I've dug into how they operate the better of a job they seem to be doing occurs.

I mean we have a company that is managing its money so tightly that they have no room for error and manages to stay in the black during a global recession. I'm going to have to say they have decent buisness practices, we just don't have to like how they effect us as a customer.

And I'm willing to bet that if Templars do stay as their own book they'll need more than a little spit-shine to get people into them. Just like Grey Knights, Blood Angels and Space Wolves added some new options that were different in play style or unique to their armies to the roster, so will the Templars so that we have even more justification in why they're not in the normal book and adds some more diversity into how Marines play (my expectation is that they'll take the sort of "horde Marine army" thing further to represent the number of bodies they dedicate to their actions but you never know).

That said, Vanilla Marines are GW's safe bet to help make some money on a minimal investment. And seeing as Eldar are coming out -just- before them (in the same 6 month block no less) I wouldn't be surprised if Eldar cost a bit more than is usually allowed for a release and the choice of Marines meant a cheaper follow-on in the same time period so they could ensure they'd make enough for the cost of the investment without putting two high-risk armies in the same block.

Now I'm not 100% on GW's methodology on how they divide budgets and the like but I'm willing to guess that it basically works in the same 6 month blocks that the investor's reports do. During that 6 month period a set amount of money is provided for WFB, 40k and the LotR lines, so when a "high-risk" army (pretty much anything that isn't one of your more common Marine books (so not Templars, and until 5th edition happened, not Grey Knights)) comes out it has to be balanced out with an army that is going to make some money back and is cheaper to update. The choices of what projects to greenlight when and how much of that total budget can be allocated to any project is of course done based on historical data (how well it's sold in the past, ect) and so on. Of course the writers are likely still working on projects their interested in and have ideas for but some of those projects may not come out as full production runs/releases until they can balance risk against returns during that period.

TL;DR: A lot goes on behind the scenes when it comes to approving things and I don't think I know even half of it yet.

Wearing the foil hat and picking up their signal... that's new.
The joke, you missed it, it's back there. But yes, the radio waves thing was the gag. I'm sorry it was too well hidden to be appreciated properly. I'll not try harder next time to be funny.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Saying hello to the squats
Not funny. In fact it can be seen as trolling as you're posting inflammatory statements to try and get a rise out of people. Try to behave yourself before the Mods decide to step in.
It was quite funny:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Like it or not, 40k is GW's biggest seller, so it makes sense businesswise to push products for that
That really depends what country you're in. The US, Japan and UK tend to be bigger on 40k. Much of mainland europe is (or was a few years back) bigger on WHF. The marketing in different countries reflects that. Right now though, we're riding on a high from 6th and the Horus Heresy, which is why all the 40k love...
It's a catch22 situation. It drove me nuts when I worked in the Studio, still does now. Army doesn't make money, so doesn't get updated. It doesn't get updated, so doesn't make money. Sucks, I know. Hell, I collect Sisters and have since 2nd Ed. *sigh*

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not funny. In fact it can be seen as trolling as you're posting inflammatory statements to try and get a rise out of people. Try to behave yourself before the Mods decide to step in.
I would like to think that GW wouldn't kill off sisters, it would provoke a huge backlash from the community, as sisters are, in my opinion at least, the 40K hardcore army.
It was a harmless throwaway comment not intended to offend anyone

Ok can I have my dog back now please

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I would like to think that GW wouldn't kill off sisters, it would provoke a huge backlash from the community, as sisters are, in my opinion at least, the 40K hardcore army.
It was a harmless throwaway comment not intended to offend anyone

Ok can I have my dog back now please
No, because I don't have your dog.

Seriously "X army is going to get squatted" isn't funny. No one likes hearing that something they play is going away. If they did we wouldn't hear complaints about nerfs, unit choices being removed, ect. Telling people that their army is getting squatted is pretty much the easiest way to start typing with your dick and causing an argument.

I wasn't upset about it, but I don't tolerate it either. It's akin to telling someone to go fuck themselves because they like something. It's pretty much a bad idea.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Telling people that their army is getting squatted is pretty much the easiest way to start typing with your dick and causing an argument.

I wasn't upset about it, but I don't tolerate it either. It's akin to telling someone to go fuck themselves because they like something. It's pretty much a bad idea.
As I said, I didn't me to cause offence and didn't realise how much it pisses people off, I should have realised, it was stupid and immature and meant as a cheap laugh. It won't happen again.

Any way back on topic quite looking forward to the lizardmen, I quite like the minis, but I haven't heard anything about them in the rumours section yet

1 - 20 of 70 Posts