Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first army list posting, so if I make any errors please let me know.

This is an army list I am working on, and an idea I came to only recently. I would like some feedback and a bit of a critique on its viability before I go ahead and buy the models.
I am a casual player, and we play in a less than competetive environment (bar a few)

I will be using the Crimson Slaughter Supplement for the free Fear and the Draznichts Ravagers upgrade for the Chosen Unit.
Anyways, on with the list:

HQ:
(160) Necrosius
(230) Typhus

Elites:
(367) 10 Chosen, w/ 5 Plasma Guns, MoN, Power Weapon (Champion Only) in a Rhino w/ Dirge Caster, Dozer Blade, Havoc Launcher.
(120) Helbrute w/ 2 Power Fists (1 Heavy Flamer and 1 Combi-Bolter)
(100) Helbrute w/ Powerfist and Multi-Melta

Troops:
(150) 35 Plague Zombies
(150) 35 Plague Zombies
(150) 35 Plague Zombies

Heavy Support:
(150) Chaos Vindicator w/ Siege Shield, Combi-Bolter, Demonic Possession
(195) Defiler w/ Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Reaper Autocannon
(228) 3 Obliterators w/ MoN

Right, on with the idea.
I basically thought about this list when the new IA: Apoc book allowed Necrosius to affect Plague Zombies too, thus giving them furious charge as well as the plethora of goodies from Typhus, along with Fear from the CS Codex.
Typhus and Necro both in their own unit of Zombies ambling up the centre of the field using their limited psy powers. They either get taken out or deliver some nasty characters. The third group either ambles up behind filling any gaps, or holds a back field objective (depending on the scenario)

I have the Vindicator with Possession so that he can still fire ordanance if hurt, and so that he gets a 5++. He will (controvesially) sit near the back, and be a nasty "Jack-in-the-box" for anyone that comes near.

Will have both Helbrutes advance on one side of the zombie mass, clinging to cover and stopping mobile things from flanking.

On the other side I will have the defiler marching up, trying to keep a leg in cover (for the 25% obscurement cover save)

Chosen Rhino runs behind the Defiler hunting nasties such as Terminators, Mega-Nobs, Centurions, and lightly armoured vehicles, by either going flat out, or popping smoke first turn, rapid firing Plasma from the Rhino in subsequent turns. Being Draznichts Ravagers, they are naturally re-rolling 1's to hit, so only 1 in 36 gets hot. I like those odds! The reason there is 5 Plasma and not 2 is simply that - re-rolling 1's. And if they get out (voluntarily or not), that amount of plasma would slay most things. Even on overwatch, 3-4 will still hit on average. There are 4 regular chosen in there to take hits. The Rhino can drop Chosen off and Dirge Cast for if the Zombies make it!

Obliterators... I haven't decided yet. Probably stick mid field, or slightly towards the Defiler, shooting at range doing what they do best.

Hoping with the numbers that I will have majority board control, making scoring for the enemy difficult.

Sorry if this is a bit of an essay, but I thought to include as many of my ideas/reasons for such a strange force.

Any ideas/comments welcome!
Thanks in advance,
Crag

Edit: We don't really use flyers, so the only unit I have no interest in is the Heldrake :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is a great army list, it looks like you put a lot of thought into it. The only thing I would suggest, is that you use one of the formations from the helbrute dataslate. It is called a helcult and is composed of a helbrute and 2 chaos cultist units (or plague zombies). This gives both the chaos cultist units fear, and when the helbrute dies they get the zealot rule as well. The helbrute also gets a 3+ cover save from the cutists, but if it passes it a cultist dies. The only drawback, that is completely avoidable, is that in combat, any to hit rolls of 1 are directed at a friendly model with 6 inches. Also this gives the helbrute rage. The formation costs nothing, and I just think that this will give you an advantage without changing your play style.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

I have put a lot of thought into it, and think I would enjoy playing. Strangely though, I had never even considered the Dataslates. I think that would fit in perfectly with the theme of the army! Gives the zombies a use other than ablative wounds and board control :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I only got the helbrute dataslate because I got the new model, and it looked so good that I wanted to get a few, but because the rules are mediocre at best, I decided that a dataslate might help things. It turned out to be the best thing I could have gotten. Besides the great formations, it also has a great showcase of models (if your into that sort of thing). Glad I could be of assistance.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The minor downsides to the Helcult are that: a) your Plague Zombies are already Fearless, so you're stacking that benefit twice for no gain (albeit at no points cost, so no big deal), and b) the squads of Plague Zombies that you take as part of the Helcult are no longer Objective Secured nor do they count towards your 2-minimum mandatory Troops Choices.

Still, it's a pretty nice combo--whether you try to keep the Helbrute intact or try to get it killed right off the bat, so that you have more than a hundred cultists with Zealot, Furious Charge, and FNP!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
(367) 10 Chosen, w/ 5 Plasma Guns, MoN, Power Weapon (Champion Only) in a Rhino w/ Dirge Caster, Dozer Blade, Havoc Launcher.
That is a very expensive squad for being 10 3+ saves in a AV11 tank. I would do a bunch to cut out extra points, like: drop the dozer blade, possibly the Havoc Launcher, possibly the champ's power weapon, possibly up to 2 Chosen with bolters...

(195) Defiler w/ Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Reaper Autocannon
Don't think you need the Siege Shield, per se, but that could be just my preferences. Still, I've always seen it as useless, myself.

The Defiler... is an ugly duckling, as far as I'm concerned. Like, Battle Cannon and some S10 attacks, sure... but crappy I & WS in combat, or BS3 and drunken weapons, unable to fire the Heavy Flamer/Havoc Launcher & the Battle Cannon at the same time at range (and unable to replace the weapon you can't fire usually with a free DCCW any more--now you have to pay out the rear end for a Scourge). Also quite a few points more than I'd like to have to pay, when I could get an AV13 Soul Grinder with a nearly-identical-to-battle-cannon Phlegm, and Shrouding to boot (for easy 2+ or 3+ cover)--for fewer points cost! Sure, you swap Daemonforge and IWND in exchange for a few Skyfire Autocannon shots, but... all in all, well worth taking Daemons as allies, if you want some sort of Crab Walker, in my eyes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanka for the replies! Lots to think about there.
Hadn't considered that the datatslate would 'consume' my troop choices, buy can always divide up the third unit into two smaller lots, so will see how it goes.

The Chosen is a very expensive unit, and I will look into cutting it down. Points ramp up quick!

Dozer Blade and Siege Shield - am inclined to keep because my rolling for terrain is terrible! Personal preference. Makes for a less frustrating game :) (6 of 7 last games has seen vehicles immobilise themselves for me...)

The Defiler is as you say very ugly. To be honest, I was given it recently, and was in the process of trialling it. The idea of having a long range large blast was and is very tempting as my list lacks template weapons. I can see me not getting along with it and swapping it out though...

If I did replace it, what else could go in its place? You mention a Soul Grinder, but allies means having to free up more points for the force org slots, and I have never used demons, so cannot claim to be an expert. It sounds great! But will have to research Demons to see whats what.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oooh I quite like that idea. Just had a goosey at the Plague Hulk rules. Could be interesting! Even though it does lack the long range threat, seems worth it. Will have to get the demon codex to fill in the rules though...
Would certainly make it more nurgle-y!

·
Registered
773 Posts
The army looks good, though I would personally do a few things the others suggested like Helcults with Plague Zombies.
I would also split the Zombies down in to units of 20s (or maybe go down to 15s or something with the Helcults). This does mean you lose a few zombies (I think 5 squads of 20 = 450pts, rather than your 3 units of 35 = 450pts). As they are fearless then you cant break them with firepower or anything like that. So why not give yourself the flexibility to hold more objectives, and minimise the damage someone can do with things like heavy bolter squads.

I also agree that the Plague Hulk is a nice bonus for very few points.
I think the rule it asks you to look at the daemon book for is Demonic Resilience. It is the same rule of Demonic Possession in the CSM book for the Crew Stunned and Shaken parts. But doesn't have the changing your BS and eating people inside you.

As for having Typhus. I'm not really sure why you want him. As Necro gives you access to the same Zombies as Typhus anyway. I find he isn't a great character.
Personally I would take a normal Lord or Sorcerer and tool him up with some nice gear like Slaughter Horns, Daemonheart & Blade of Relentless (now such a great weapon as your challenge wounds spill over)
Personal pref though might be remove Typhus and 1 of the Helbrutes and get yourself a Knight. Though I might also wait for the new FW book to come out soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I may very well split the zombies up into 4 groups as you say. 2 helcults then ;-) muahahaaa!

As for Typhus, I didn't notice Necro had the same rule. Just seen it. But aside from that, hes a cool looking model with a Daemon weapon, and fits in well with the theme.

But will certainly look at alternatives! Maybe even Huron for the infiltrating...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, here is the current revision:

HQ:
(160) Necrosius
(230) Typhus

Elites:
(100) Helbrute w/ Powerfist and Multi-Melta

Troops:
(223) 7 Plague Marines w/ 2 Plasma Guns in a Rhino
(223) 7 Plague Marines w/ 2 Plasma Guns in a Rhino
(130) 30 Plague Zombies
(126) 29 Plague Zombies
(70) 15 Plague Zombies
(70) 15 Plague Zombies

Heavy Support:
(228) 3 Obliterators w/ MoN
(150) Plague Hulk of Nurgle

Comes out at an even 2000 pts.

The four groups of Plague Zombies are in Hell Cults with the two Helbrutes (1 big group and 1 small group with each)
The two smaller groups objective hunt and stay out of trouble.
The two bigger groups have characters in and provide ablative wounds for the characters and the Helbrutes.
May even change the groups to 35/10 and 34/10.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Dozer Blade and Siege Shield - am inclined to keep because my rolling for terrain is terrible! Personal preference. Makes for a less frustrating game :) (6 of 7 last games has seen vehicles immobilise themselves for me...)
Perfectly understandable--people who field these upgrades do tend, I find, to have horror stories... I'll just count myself one of the lucky ones.

Oh yeah, a Plague Hulk would certainly remove the need to ally in Daemons. Though 120 points for a squad of Objective Secured Nurglings with Shrouded, joined by a Herald of Nurgle who has Grimoire to give a unit with the Daemon special rule (a good shot at) +2 to their invuln save every turn... that would fill out an allies contingent pretty neatly, if I may say so myself...

(Plague Hulks are cool, though)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never had much to do with Daemons, but I like the sounds of that! I shall have to purchase the codex and have a look ;-)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Oops, you commented back while I was editing to respond re: your new list.

On to the new list, though:

This build always makes me wary due to that tiny chance you'll have to double-plink with the bolter in a Fire Frenzy, but... worth it, I daresay. Especially with that great (semi-)living mobile cover to get you into combat safer.

The list looks solid! Not very mobile, but you'll be tough as nails to dislodge from the objectives you shuffle up to and hunker down on!

I would personally like to see more melta for anti-Knight duty, but where are you going to pull that from? If you could find 90 points, 3 bikers with 2 melta might work (and give you some late objective-stealing capability), but...

Still, looks like a tough-as-nails list. You'll have trouble with a list of 8 Wave Serpents mowing through zombies and dancing entirely out of range, but then--who doesn't have trouble with such a cheesy list?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts