Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!
So I was in a tournament over the weekend, was great fun and won 4 out of my 5 games, losing to a grot army which was using Imperial guard rules (looked awesome on the table!). I was stunned when I was able to beat a CSM army made up of a warhound titan sitting on top of a skyshield platform (for a 4++), chaos fire raptor, sicarian tank and typhus with zombies! But that was mainly due to speed and maneuverability, I could capture objectives while he just sat there and blasted me with his titan. Due to how many points I actually scored however I came 13th out of 22, not bad, but feel there is definitely room for improvement!

After some careful thought and consideration I've got rid of things which seemed ineffective and kept those units which were fun/caused havoc. This is the new updated list, I'll explain changes I made from the original just so I'm not just posting up random lists.

HQ – 85pts
Rune Priest
-Mastery level 2
-Runic Axe (free)

Cheap and cheerful. I feel I get more utility from a rune priest than another HQ unit, so why not get something cheap which can boost offensive power thanks to divination.
Original list also had a biker rune priest and Ulrik. Biker ran with a TWC unit while ulrik joined another unit of long fangs to grant them preferred enemy. Both of them were just point sinks, hardly did anything at all, so decided to drop them.

Troops – 280pts
Grey Hunters (x5)
-Rhino
-Meltagun
-Pack leader
-Combi-melta
-Melta-bomb

Grey Hunters (x5)
-Rhino
-Meltagun
-Pack leader
-Combi-melta
-Melta-bomb

Troops not needed for the great wolf detachment, but nice to have some hunters following in the wake of the TWC, blew up a fair few vehicles and could sit tight on midfield objectives while the wolves ripped through backfield

Elites – 390pts
Dreadnought
-Upgrade to Venerable
-Fenrisian great axe and blizzard shield
-Extra armour
-Smoke launchers
-Drop pod

Distraction carnifex. Survived most games to wreck vehicles and tie up heavy elites. With TWC charging forward, he tends to be low on the priority list

Iron priest

Servitors (x3)

Originally had two iron priests on thunderwolves. To be perfectly honest didn't get anything out of them and lack of an invul became a massive problem when they charged into combat with any model with a AP2. So bring a foot guy and some servitors to put into the stormwolf for a 2+ repair

Lone wolf
-2x Plasma pistols
-Meltabomb

Lone wolf
-2x Plasma pistols
-Meltabomb

"WHAT!" I hear you cry, "WHY ON EARTH DO YOU HAVE THESE GUYS?". Well, they're fun, attract no attention, and can happily tie up a unit for a while and take on any vehicle which foolish strays into combat range

Fast Attack – 895pts
Thunderwolf cavalry (x5)
-Storm shields (x4)
-Thunder Hammer
-Melta-bomb
-Pack leader with Storm shield and Wolf claw

Thunderwolf cavalry (x5)
-Storm shields (x4)
-Thunder Hammer
-Melta-bomb
-Pack leader with Storm shield and Wolf claw

Need I say anymore? TWC are awesome and did very very well

Storm wolf 215pts
-2x Multi-melta

Didn't have one at the time, now I know I definitely need some more anti-flyer!

Heavy support – 350pts
Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x5)
-Melta-bomb
-Missile Launcher (x4)
-Flakk missiles (x4)

My only ranged weaponry this weekend. Hid in buildings and did a pretty good job providing suppressive fire. Meltabomb was due to me having 5pts spare

Any thoughts are more than welcome!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts