1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
+ HQ + (165pts)

* Chaos Lord (165pts)- Bike, MoN, Sigil, Fisticlaws

+ Troops + (1012pts)

* Plague Marines (7) (253pts)-Rhino w/Dozer +Combi Melta, 2x Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs
* Plague Marines (7) (253pts)-Rhino w/Dozer +Combi Melta, 2x Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs

+ Fast Attack + (340pts)

* Chaos Bikers(4) (170pts)- MoN, 2x Melta, Combi Melta

* Heldrake (170pts)- Baleflamer

+ Heavy Support + (380pts)

* Chaos Predator (120pts)- Autocannon Turret, Lascannon Sponsons, Dozer Blade

* Havocs (120pts)
4x Autocannon (40pts), 4x Havoc (52pts), Veteran of the long war (5pts)
* Aspiring Champion (23pts)
Bolt Pistol, CCW

* Havocs (140pts)
4x Havoc (52pts), 4x Missile Launcher (60pts), Veteran of the long war (5pts)
* Aspiring Champion (23pts)
Bolt Pistol, CCW

+ Fortification + (100pts)

* Aegis Defense Line (100pts) - Quad Gun

Wanting to give the plague marine rhino list a shot. Would I be better off dropping squad size to 5 and packing another squad in? In my first play test with a list like this, the 5 man troops didnt have much in the way of offence once the rhino was cracked. Any thoughts would be much appriciated!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like a scary list!

I think 7 is the happy number for plague marines so you're good there. I would however drop all the combi-meltas and dozer blades from your cardboard boxes on wheels. They're going to die quickly but that's okay, it's their purpose. To make up for the loss of combi-meltas, I'd swap 2 units to melta instead of plasma.

As you've no vanilla relics you should be playing crimson slaughter. Free fear on everyone! Also with the points saved above, you can give your lord a daemonheart. It really makes him a tank! I've been running the same lord for a while now to great effectiveness. He can sit in front of the unit and shrug off battlecannons :).

I'd drop the dozer blades on the predator. You want to be moving it as little as possible.

With all the points you have left I'd add bodies to the havoc units. They are easy targets as not only will you be losing autocannons immediately, as soon as your opponent kills 10 MEQs you wont have anyone to fire the quad-gun. More likely he'll only have to kill 5 as due to LoS and pie-plate reasons you probably don't want both havoc units right at the quad-gun.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
As you've no vanilla relics you should be playing crimson slaughter. Free fear on everyone! Also with the points saved above, you can give your lord a daemonheart.
I agree, though bear in mind that if you do that, you have to drop VotLW from the havocs--minor loss, there, in terms of chance to run away. Worthwhile, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I'll try out the meltas (just gotta get some meltagun bits. Another question: Would it be prudent to switch both of the Havoc squads to autocannons? With the points savings I could add a few more ablative wounds for comfort.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I like missile launchers because they're good at putting wounds on Wraithknights (4+ to wound, no armor--better than 2 shots at 5+ to wound with a 3+ armor). Even your Plasma is only wounding a Wraithknight on 5s, and your Plague Marines might have poisoned knives, but they also don't get their Feel No Pain against the handful of S10, AP2 attacks coming their way before they strike. So: in terms of army flexibility and capacity to counter one of the toughest threats in the game, currently, I have to advise you stick with missile launchers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like missile launchers because they're good at putting wounds on Wraithknights (4+ to wound, no armor--better than 2 shots at 5+ to wound with a 3+ armor). Even your Plasma is only wounding a Wraithknight on 5s, and your Plague Marines might have poisoned knives, but they also don't get their Feel No Pain against the handful of S10, AP2 attacks coming their way before they strike. So: in terms of army flexibility and capacity to counter one of the toughest threats in the game, currently, I have to advise you stick with missile launchers.
Good call, my meta doesn't usually include eldar (most often fighting meq, nids, and necrons). Now, along that vein, I don't usually mix weapons, but 2x ML and 2x autocannon- have you ever had any experience with it? My thoughts: against bigger targets I'd still get those two S8 shots, and against hordes I'd have 2 blast templates. Like I said, I usually focus weapons so squads can focus on a particular job, but this idea just struck me.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Good call, my meta doesn't usually include eldar (most often fighting meq, nids, and necrons). Now, along that vein, I don't usually mix weapons, but 2x ML and 2x autocannon- have you ever had any experience with it? My thoughts: against bigger targets I'd still get those two S8 shots, and against hordes I'd have 2 blast templates. Like I said, I usually focus weapons so squads can focus on a particular job, but this idea just struck me.
S8 and S7 shots at AP4 and AP3 don't have too many differences, really. You might do sliiightly worse against 3+ armor saves, but you'll handle hordes and light vehicles just as well or slightly better than mono-weapon, honestly. I sometimes run similar combos--the weapons are similar enough that if I have 10 points free... why not upgrade 2 autocannons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S8 and S7 shots at AP4 and AP3 don't have too many differences, really. You might do sliiightly worse against 3+ armor saves, but you'll handle hordes and light vehicles just as well or slightly better than mono-weapon, honestly. I sometimes run similar combos--the weapons are similar enough that if I have 10 points free... why not upgrade 2 autocannons?
Ran the modified list today against MEQ, it did well. My havocs were reliably popping transports every time they shot, and the only thing they weren't equppied to handle well was AV14.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts