Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. circumstances have meant that i basically haven't played the game since late 4th Ed. but times are changing and i need to put an army together. i have an enormous Chaos army of every colour and hue that i've been collecting since 2nd Ed. but i've found the current Codex: CSM to be very uninspiring, do i don't want to play it anymore. conversely, i've found the new SM books to be a lot more exciting.

i've been mulling over playing Alpha Legion using C: SM or Black Legion using C: SW, but both would require a huge amount of time, money and energy to convert enough models to keep to the theme. but with the release of the Blood Angels book i've come up with a much simpler list for me put together. but its not complete, so i'd like Heresy Online to cast its collective eyes over my current list and give me some tips and pointers. without any further unnecessary explanation the World Eaters:

HQ

Kharn The Betrayer (Gabriel Seth)

Elites

2x Warcallers (Sanguinary Priest) w/ Plasma Pistol and Power Fist

Troops

8x Berzerkers (Assault Marines w/out Jump Packs) w/ Plasma Pistol and Asp. Champ. w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Fist and Combat Shield

Rhino

8x Berzerkers (Assault Marines w/out Jump Packs) w/ Plasma Pistol and Asp. Champ. w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Fist and Combat Shield

Rhino

5x Gladiatorii (Death Company) w/ Jump Packs, Power Weapons and Plasma Pistol

Blood Priest (Lemartes[i/])

Berzerker Dreadnought (Death Company Dreadnought[i/]) w/ Blood Talons

Heavy Support
Storm Bird (Storm Raven) w/ Hurricane Bolters

Total: 1843pts

and there you have it. that's the list so far. i'd like it to be 2000pts, so that i can have reasonable sized battles or pick and choose some units for smaller games. any comments or criticisms welcome.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its pretty much entirely for casual play. the only 'competitive' armies i'll be facing will be ones that are off duty, so to speak. i'm not really much of a Tournament player, i'm just interested in having an army that's fun to play with, in keeping with the theme and good to collect.

looks like another troops choice is going to be the best option.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Expensive characters,
i can hold my hand up to that. but as i'm not interested in winning at all costs or maxing out my options at the expense of theme, i'm not too worried about that. i could switch out the 'Avatar' and 'Kharn' for cheaper HQ choices, but the effect would be lost as well.

Plasma over infernus,
i wish i could make plasma weapons cheaper so that they were more of a reasonable choice. but sadly that is not something i can do.

as the theme of the list is World Eaters, plasmas stand head and shoulders over infernus pistols, ergo if i were to switch them out i might as well simply play as Blood Angels.

50 point single wound models (with Rage and non-scoring to boot),
i added jump packs to the 'Gladiatorii' to further differentiate them from the regular 'Berzerker' units (otherwise it could end up being a pretty dull army to play, irrespective of whether is wins or looses). however, i'm man enough to admit that it is quite a points sink on a unit that can't hold objectives (i guess i figured that i wasn't likely to be trying to make them hold objectives anyway). so i think i'll re-write the list to drop the Jump Packs and bump up the numbers somewhat.

Powerfists on single wound ICs,
don't judge too harshly, as i stated in my first post, i haven't really played 5th Ed, so those are exactly the subtle nuances that i've not yet got to grips with.

i felt that the army lacked anti-vehicle guns so, it was probably a smart move to add in liberal numbers of Power Fists. however, i could certainly switch it for something cheaper. which would you recommend of a CCW, a Power Weapon and a Lightning Claw?

and no real support at range for your 3 fast vehicles.
i'm not really sure what else i can put into it to fulfill that role without negating theme. what would you suggest?

It's pretty bad to put it bluntly.
well, each to there own. you're the first person so far to say that it was a 'bad' list from any of the forums i've posted it on, everyone else has said it was more on the side of 'good' but could do with improvement.

Actually, back in the day Khorne was big on the heavy weapons and long range fire.
i'm all in favour of a Khornate army that works well at range and in assault. the only proviso would be that they be (almost) exclusively anti-infantry. even if Khorne lets them have anti-vehicle weapons, he won't be impressed by their offerings (blood and skulls are all that he's interested in). so the social stigma on being the guy with the meltagun/lascannon would mean that i suspect that most World Eaters would prefer not to.

Compact meltas (let's them get another CC attack, w00t) and ranged fire (crack open the METAL BAWKSES so they can collect some skulls) would fit quite well.
i get what you're saying, but i think that it would simply be at too greater cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts