Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my first game of warhammer vs ogre's and lost/won (he lied to me about not being aloud to use magic in combat so he won... but if i knew i could use magic we found out that i would of won) and i was wondering a few things for the next game... (vs ogres)

1st. do i go for a vermin lord or 2 gray seers?

2nd. which core choice would be best?

and 3rd. shout i go for a theamed army?

if anyone can give me a hand i would be thankfull.

(sorry for spelling mistakes)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
against ogres you either want S4 or just masses of attacks. Units of 10 wide clanrats with spears will laugh at ogres... with very little the ogres can do back in return. Frenzied/death frenzy on plague monks is great, giving you huge numbers of attacks... which is just what you need. If you could increase the strength of the monks that would be great... but I dont know the skaven book all that well- can you give them flails? If you can then its just harsh against ogres (and everyone else).

The you have hellpit abominations, warp lightning cannons and doomwheels, all of which will do great things for you.
Magic isnt quite so good, so either dont realy in it much or just use it to dispel the ogre buffs (let them cast the buff spells and dispel braingobbler, bloodgruel and bonechruncher... then dispel trollguts and toothcracker in your phase, that way the butcher/slaughtermaster will gradually kill himself for you (remember he can only cast each spell once a turn- you need multiple butchers to cast the same spell multiple times), bullgorger you can dispel whenever- it doesnt hurt the butcher to cast so feel free to dispel it when cast, and it doesnt have any effect until combat (its just +1S) so as long as its gone before the ogres attack thats fine).

About the best of the best is jezzails, who'll make short work of any slavegiants or scraplaunchers the ogres bring.

It shouldnt be too hard for skaven to beat ogres... but if its an experience ogre player he should beat you until you know how to use your army, but then you want that to happen. If a new player could pick up an army and then a week later beat a veteran with all his built up experience then it would be quite a dull (and easy) game without all the little complexities and tactics that make it fun.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Unfortunately, there's not a way to raise the strength of Plague Monks. However, they've got enough attacks that they should be ripping ogres a new one by virtue of the volume of dice involved.

At 2000 points, don't get bogged down too heavily in characters. One Lord choice is plenty-- Skaven don't really run off of having powerful characters in the way other armies sometimes do. A Grey Seer will always be good, though, and when in doubt, go ahead and put him on the Bell. If you need more magic, then Warlock Engineers,which are Heroes, are what you're after, I think.

Basically, what you want to be doing is bringing BIG units of Clanrats with spears. You don't necessarily need shields, but since most of the Skaven models have them, you might as well pay for them and have WYSIWYG. It does help a bit with shooting, too, but you shouldn't worry too much if you lose some models to enemy shooting. I'd look into units of 40 Clanrats that're 10 wide, with full command. 50 or 60 is better. A unit of 60 Clanrats with full command and spears is going to be in the 300-point range, which isn't bad for what you're getting. A unit like that is going to be Steadfast against most stuff, even if they take a TON of casualties (and they will), and are quick enough and have enough attacks that they'll give out as much as they get.

Step 2 in playing Skaven well is to make sure you've got enough dirty tricks to handle things that a tide of Clanrats simply can't. Enemy elite units, and Warriors of Chaos in general, are bad news for Skaven in a fair fight-- so you need to have weapons teams. Warpfire throwers are the general favorite, but really, they're all good. You'll also want to look into jezzails, warpstone cannons, and plagueclaw catapults-- all of which make it possible to cut down enemy elite units to the point where your Clanrats and Plague Monks can actually take them, provided you throw enough Clanrats / Plague Monks at them.

Keep in mind that Skaven are a horde army. An individual Skaven is only marginally better than a goblin in a fair fight, and a unit of goblins can actually win a fair fight against Skaven. So you need to make sure you're bringing enough models. The trick to playing the army is finding the balance of wacky war machines and mobs of cheap infantry that works for you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Taking a single Grey Seer will be plenty to get off the Dreaded 13th spell against Ogres- a second one is just another 200 points worth of Clanrats (and that's about 50 models for those of you out there counting) that you're NOT taking.

T/S and Horus are both right here. The true strength of the Skaven army is their hordes. Plague Monks en masse pushing a Furnace or Clanrats doing the same with the bell is just about a must-take for the Skaven army in 8th edition.

Good luck!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Um, dont even bother thinking about the 13th spell when playing ogres- just forget it exists. It cannot affect anything in the ogre army except gnoblar fighters and trappers.. and they certainly arent worth the attempt at it... this also means you cant cast it at rhinoxen riders. Reason being that it can only affect infantry and all ogres are monstrous infantry

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've written two 2000pts armies and is wondering what to use

i can say his next army is going to have Skrag(?) and a butcher, as well as some leadbelchers and a group of rinox riders but thats all i know.

the first is

Lord
Lord Skrolk

Hero
Plague Priest
Plague furnace
Plague Censer

Core
70 plague monks with full command
71 plague monks with full command

Rare
Plagueclaw Catapult
Warp lightning Cannon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and the last one

Lord
Queek Headtaker

Hero
Deathmaster Snikch

Core
40 Queeks Stormvermin *2
Full comm.
Shield
Poisoned wind mortar

70 skaven slaves
Spears
Slings

73 skaven slaves
Spears
slings

Rare
Hell pit abom
Warpstone spikes

so if someone would be kind enough to choose one or suggest their own it would be much appreciated (hell even if you just poke holes in the list if you want)

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lord
Lord Skrolk

Hero
Plague Priest
LVL 2