Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HQ
Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf Mount, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Wolf Claw, and two Fenrisian Wolves

ELITES
Dreadnought
Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

TROOPS
10 Grey Hunters
Wolf Standard and two Plasma Guns
Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters
Wolf Standard and two Plasma Guns
Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters
Wolf Standard and two Meltaguns
Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK
3 Thunderwolf Cavalry
Power Fist and Storm Shield

2 Land Speeders
Typhoon Missile Launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT
6 Long Fangs
5 Missile Launchers
Drop Pod

6 Long Fangs
5 Missile Launchers

INQUISITORIAL DETACHMENT
Inquisitor Coteaz

Inquisitor
3 Servo-Skulls and Mastery Level 1

3 Servitors
Heavy Bolters

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defence Line
Quad-Gun

The Long Fangs get a spare Drop Pod to bring three down in the first turn, rather than to actually use it. Inquisitors hang back and give Prescience to the Fangs. Thunderwolves counter-assault where needed, as does whichever Pod gets left behind - however, if the opportunity presents itself, it's possible for them to use the Drop Pod Assault as a distraction to barrel up the field then split to maul some Tacticals or Necron Warriors. I had some points leftover for the Servitors, but I'm not really happy with them - they're better backfield Scoring than most such units, but they're pretty obviously shouting 'Hey, I'm First Blood!' at people. The Land Speeders are around to throw some more missiles downrange, but again, not sure if they're a great idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Personally I dislike speeders, even with the 6th ed rules they are prone to dieing to easy for my tastes. I loved drop pod dreads during 5th but now they are less ideal for me. I think I would rather use the points for it and the speeders on something else like more GH or a set of WGP. This is more personal taste than anything concrete though.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm tempted to agree with you - I could use those points to make the Servitor unit into a better Acolyte unit with Meltas and Storm Bolters in a Valkyrie, which seems like a much better use of points.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I ran a fairly radical variant of this list today and went 2-1 up (the first game, however, I was forced to use Rhinos instead of Drop Pods as the Pods were only delivered during the game!). I swapped out the Inquisitor, Speeders, Dreadnought, and Long Fang pod to make room for a Librarian, 10 Tacticals with Meltagun and a Stormraven, using the Mantis Warrior tactics.

The Servitors were pretty dang good, for 30pts. Dealt a steady level of damage to Fire Warriors and Tyranid Warriors throughout the games, as well as bringing down the Swarmlord on turn 1 (albeit after a Long Fang squad under the effects of Prescience and Perfect Timing had a go at him). For 30pts, I couldn't ask for much more. The Drop Pods are really nice as a delivery system - my Tau opponent had no idea how to deal with that much threat in his deployment zone so quickly, especially as my alpha-strike was able to neutralise a significant amount of threat on the first turn.

The Thunderwolves are keepers, despite my reservations; as a fire-fighting unit if nothing else. As anti-Troops or response units they excel - my prior experience with them had been fighting Genestealers, at which Thunderwolf Cavalry are terrible, but against Hive Guard or Gaunts they can do some fairly horrendous damage for their 175pts. The Wolf Lord tanked through some of the nastier, low AP-shots and then cleaned up most of a Commander/Bodyguard unit before an unlucky combination of failing both a Look Out Sir and a 2+ armour save let the Shas'o bring him down (and my opponent's uncanny inability to fail a save on his Shield Drones), while the Thunderwolves removed a big Sniper Kroot squad before piling into a Broadside squad (what was left of one - due to the positioning afforded by the Drop Pod, I killed two of the three suits leaving a huge squad of Drones with one Broadside). Long Fangs piled a silly number of wounds onto the 36-odd Fire Warriors, killing most of them, and pulled similar feats in the Tyranid game, dealing with some threats that I couldn't get to with the Grey Hunters.

Overall, pleased with the Drop Pod list for Space Wolves, although I felt that the last-minute inclusion of an allied Stormraven was a very important factor - it's not brilliant in isolation, but if you need to kill Flyers then it really shines in the Space Wolf army.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts