Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go... Storm Angels! Couldn't resist when I saw the rules come out today.

Sammael on Corvex

Ravenwing Attack Squad
2+1, x2 Plasma, Attack Bike w/ MM

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad
4+1

Deathwing Terminator Squad
4+1, TH/SS/CML

4+1, TH/SS/CML

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missles

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven Gunship
Hurricane Bolters, TL-Lascannons, Typhoon ML, Searchlight

Total: 2000

I really, really love the Sammael model, so he always ends up as my Warlord of choice for these Ravendeaths. With the addition of the Storm Wing, Ravenwing (an army meant for fast models) finally gets some GOOD fliers.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The stormwing formation can be taken by C:DA without an allied detachment from C:SM? I'm not 100% on how formations work, but I thought they had to come with armies from their codex, ie. one HQ and one Troop selection as well from an allied detachment that included the formation (or take it with the primary detachment if the primary is C:SM).

Basically, I'm saying I want Stormtalons in my BA army too.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Formations are specific model choices... no more, no less. They follow the ally matrix. But are not allies... they are add ons like the inquisition minidex. In this case, 2 'talons and one 'raven. The trio comes in as one reserve roll and the raven gets Strafing Run as long as a talon is alive.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I get what formations are and the rules behind this one (as per your post) I just didn't realize that they are add ons to your army that don't have any prerequisite for involvement. By this logic, I could take a Storm Wing with an Ork army since the primary codex in use doesn't effect my ability to take a formation?

By the way, the list looks ridiculous. I would be shaky about having so many one/three model units out there, but it's all about cover and LoS in game. Oh, and I truly think that 25 points for the TML on the SR is a waste. Personal grievance.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as orks and smurfs can ally, you can run the formation.

As for the army, I tend to build w/ lots of MSU. More attack bikes, more plasma. I could probably use larger squads, but being able to be everywher with small squads seemed like fun.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
What does MSU mean, Multiple Small Units?

The small squads all over works nice, I play it a lot with BA. I faced an army of 90+ marines with it and almost folded to bolter fire. End of the game my LRR was still running fucking batshit rampant but that was all I had left. I'd love to know how this works out, I really don't have much to alter about it aside from maybe going TLAC on the SR over the TLLC. What sort of missiles does the SM SR have? I'm spoiled with Bloodstrike missiles to compensate for the loss of S9 AP2.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Decided to tinker a little:

Sammael on Corvex

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad

Ravenwing Attack Squad

4+1, TH/SS/CML, Chainfist

4+1, TH/SS/CML, Chainfist

Ravenwing Support Squadron
Typhoon Landspeeder

Typhoon Landspeeder

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missles

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven Gunship
Hurricane Bolters, TL-Plasma, TL-MM

Total: 2000

I couldn't help it, a Dark Angels gunship needs plasma somewhere. Also thought that maybe a few Landspeeders running around harassing things wouldn't be amiss.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My goodness this is amazing!!! when i read about formations on some site i was like "cool story bro" but now that i realise that i can take Storm Wing formation with my Ravenwing army and paint them in our colors its amazing =0 we finally have good choice of flyers even though we HAVE to pay like 400 points for em and honestly think Nephelim jetfighter is a great flyer but ~20 points too expansive. Can Stormraven take our troops as passangers?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stormraven is allowed to only transport C:SM troops, not other battle brother allies. The Stormwing starts at 430+upgrades.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
What does MSU mean, Multiple Small Units?

What sort of missiles does the SM SR have? I'm spoiled with Bloodstrike missiles to compensate for the loss of S9 AP2.
1. Yes.

2. Str8 AP2 Strikedown, IIRC.

I quite like the list, although I'm not sure I prefer Plasma Cannons on my Deathwing and I think condensing the Ravenwing squads would be beneficial. I don't think MSU is viable as an army build in 6th - you only need to lose one guy to be taking LD8 morale checks, which isn't ideal.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I quite like the list, although I'm not sure I prefer Plasma Cannons on my Deathwing and I think condensing the Ravenwing squads would be beneficial. I don't think MSU is viable as an army build in 6th - you only need to lose one guy to be taking LD8 morale checks, which isn't ideal.

Midnight
As much as I like plasma for all Dark Angels, I ran 4 Fist/Bolter (well, 3 and one sword/bolter) and then one with Hammer, Shield and Cyclone. No plasma Termies in the list. I added Plasma Cannons to the Stormraven to abuse the BS5 for taking out TEQs.

I liked running small squads of Ravenwing to allow me to have more scoring Attack Bikes as well. I could field them in 6s, but I get less Trikes and also less scoring components.

A totally different option would be to drop Sammael (and I love his model/stats on his bike) and run Azrael, and auto-assign him the Warlord trait that could have the entire Stormwing in on Turn 2 (barring truly horrid rolls). Have him man an Icarus or something.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi folks. Necro'ing my own Army List, because I've decided to pursue building it. Trying to get some more feedback. I had another idea for a variation on this list, since it seems that a lot of people don't like MSUs for Ravenwing. I also started feeling that maybe there really was such a thing as too much plasma, since 2/3 of my RW Bikers were carrying one.

So I decided to look at something a little bit different. And yes, this sits at 2001 points... Not sure how to fix that, not sure if I care.

Sammael on Corvex

Ravenwing Command Squad
3 Bikes, Standard of Devestation

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM

4+1, TH/SS/CML

4+1, TH/SS/CML

Typhoon Landspeeder

Typhoon Landspeeder

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missles

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven Gunship

Total: 2001

Sammael now goes in with the Black Knights so he has some friends, and they keep the Banner near all those bolter bikes, instead of bothering with lots of extra plasma. I had to give up a RW squad, but instead upped the other 3 to 4man squads plus Melta Bikes.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Sammael on Corvex
Yay.

Ravenwing Command Squad
3 Bikes, Standard of Devestation
Needs 5 guys to be remotely viable.

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM

Ravenwing Attack Squad
3+1, Attack Bike w/ MM
I'm not sure why these guys don't have Meltaguns and Plasma Guns, but they should. Also, why 4-man? That's really awkward. Go for units of 6.

4+1, TH/SS/CML

4+1, TH/SS/CML
Welp, they're fun.

Typhoon Landspeeder

Typhoon Landspeeder
Land Speeders are pretty shitty. Drop them for more Bikers in those squads you have, and most importantly, to bulk up that Command Squad.

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missles

Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven Gunship
Not sure what the Skyhammers replace, but I think Stormtalons are perfectly fine with their basic Assault Cannon/Heavy Bolter. I always prefer the Assault Cannons on the Stormraven too (Skyfire is not an easy special rule to come by - don't give it to your Blast weapons that are available across every other slot in the book!).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@MidnightSun: Thanks, I was kind of hoping you'd reply to this one.

Yay.

Well, that's good, I'm a fan of Sammael on his bike. Honestly, I'd rather run him by himself, but it seemed that he might need a bodyguard, hence the command squad.

Needs 5 guys to be remotely viable.

See above.

I'm not sure why these guys don't have Meltaguns and Plasma Guns, but they should. Also, why 4-man? That's really awkward. Go for units of 6.

If you go back up a bit, my original list didn't have the Command Squad, but instead there were for squads of 2+1, and every squad had 2 plasma guns. I thought maybe that was overkill, and instead using the Banner, go through everything with the Salvo 4 firepower. I liked the MSU over the squads of six because I'd end up with more Melta Bikes.

Welp, they're fun.

Termie-Bombs! Drop down on Teleport Homers.

Land Speeders are pretty shitty. Drop them for more Bikers in those squads you have, and most importantly, to bulk up that Command Squad.

I thought that having some heavy weapons at range would be more useful, to be honest. These guys could help deal with blobs or heavier armor.

Not sure what the Skyhammers replace, but I think Stormtalons are perfectly fine with their basic Assault Cannon/Heavy Bolter. I always prefer the Assault Cannons on the Stormraven too (Skyfire is not an easy special rule to come by - don't give it to your Blast weapons that are available across every other slot in the book!).

The Stormtalons always have the assault cannon; the Skyhammer replaces the Heavy Bolter. Gives it something to dogfight with at range; basically it's now running Assault Cannons and Autocannons. As for the Stormraven, I always felt like the Assault Cannons were too short range, and the Plasma Cannon benefited from Strafing Run to drop accurate blast templates. Especially because the 'raven is just a tank, and not a transport in this list. However, I can see the appeal of rending against fliers, so I might leave those.
To be completely honest, I prefer the list that's higher up... no RW Command squad, just 4 MSU RW bike squads. Wasn't sure how effective that would be, however.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Well, that's good, I'm a fan of Sammael on his bike. Honestly, I'd rather run him by himself, but it seemed that he might need a bodyguard, hence the command squad.
The Standard of Devastation is pretty pivotal in the list - otherwise you're a bunch of really expensive Bikers, and precious little else.

See above.
They need to be used as their own unit though - if you just want a bodyguard unit, bring a Ravenwing Attack Squadron as Sammael's Skilled Rider transfers to the squad.

If you go back up a bit, my original list didn't have the Command Squad, but instead there were for squads of 2+1, and every squad had 2 plasma guns. I thought maybe that was overkill, and instead using the Banner, go through everything with the Salvo 4 firepower. I liked the MSU over the squads of six because I'd end up with more Melta Bikes.
If you have a bunch of Bolter shots and nothing else, you're really going to struggle killing Riptides and Wraithknights. I mean, Riptides will give you a hard time anyway unless you shut them down on turn one, turn two latest, but if you just have Bolters and a couple of Flyers then you're in a lot of trouble if you come up against them.

Termie-Bombs! Drop down on Teleport Homers.
Yeah, it's pretty fun.

I thought that having some heavy weapons at range would be more useful, to be honest. These guys could help deal with blobs or heavier armor.
You don't need help dealing with blobs, you're bringing a silly amount of Bolter shots as it is :victory: Anti-armour duties are much better pulled by Meltaguns being as you can get close with Bikers.

The Stormtalons always have the assault cannon; the Skyhammer replaces the Heavy Bolter. Gives it something to dogfight with at range; basically it's now running Assault Cannons and Autocannons. As for the Stormraven, I always felt like the Assault Cannons were too short range, and the Plasma Cannon benefited from Strafing Run to drop accurate blast templates. Especially because the 'raven is just a tank, and not a transport in this list. However, I can see the appeal of rending against fliers, so I might leave those.
The Rending's essentially irrelevant unless you're fighting other Stormravens as there is no other Flyer I know of with rear armour 12. Being as the Assault Cannon is a Turret Mount, you can gun down planes behind you. It's the way I usually deal with Heldrakes - 4 Str6 hits against AV10 tends to be pretty unhealthy for them. However, you have a pair of Skyfire turret-mounted Assault Cannons already, so you could get away with bringing the Plasma Cannons and using your Multi-Melta as anti-air with the Power of the Machine Spirit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So basically, what you're suggesting is, points permitting, something more like:

Sammael

RW Command Squad x5ish, with Standard of Dev

RWAS x6, 2 Melta, MM bike

RWAS x6, 2 Melta, MM bike

DWTS x5, TH/SS/CML

DWTS x5, TH/SS/CML

Stormtalon x2

Stormraven w/ MM, Hurricane, Plasma

Something like that? I'd like to keep the Skyhammer missiles on the Stormtalons for two reasons; one is to have a back up weapon for range, and two for asthetics: I'm building some Stormtalons to look more like Nephilim, as proper jetfighters, and I like missiles on the wings.

As I said, this is without doing any points in my head (at work), and hopefully there's even some points left over for another squad of bikes. I'd kind of prefer using Plasma Guns in a DA list, but the Meltas make much more sense, since I'll usually be firing off as much Salvo 4 as possible.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, here's another spin on this list:

Sammael on Corvex

RW Command Squad
5 Bikes, Standard of Dev, Apoth, Grenade Launcher

RW Attack Squad
5+1 Bikes, x2 Melta Guns, Attack Bike w/ MM

RW Attack Squad

RW Attack Squad
2+1 Bikes (this squad acts as wounds for Sammael)

DW Assault Squad
4+1 Terminators, TH/SS/CML

DW Assault Squad

Stormtalon
TLAC, Skyhammer Missiles

Stormtalon
TLAC, Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven
TLMM, Plasma Cannon, Searchlight

1998 Total

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Alright, here's another spin on this list:

Sammael on Corvex

RW Command Squad
5 Bikes, Standard of Dev, Apoth, Grenade Launcher

RW Attack Squad

RW Attack Squad

RW Attack Squad
2+1 Bikes (this squad acts as wounds for Sammael)

DW Assault Squad

DW Assault Squad

Stormtalon
TLAC, Skyhammer Missiles

Stormtalon
TLAC, Skyhammer Missiles

Stormraven
TLMM, Plasma Cannon, Searchlight

1998 Total
And we've struck gold.

The only flaw I see is that Sammael isn't Mephiston or a Wolf Lord - you can't just throw him at people and scythe through squads. He's less of a beatstick than they, and while he's good in a fight he's not incredible. As such, I don't think he warrants extra points thrown on a bodyguard unit - that unit needs to do something, and wasting Rapid Maneouvre and Skilled Rider is a shame. As such, I'd take the CML off the Deathwing (you have Meltas and the Flyers, you don't need 60pts for four more Krak Missiles) and bulk the 3-man squad up to 5. If you have points for Special Weapons, do it.

The other flaw is you have a silly number of points in reserve and precisely zero reserve manipulation. A few bad rolls and you'll struggle a lot. Sadly, only way around this is Azrael instead of Sammael (who would need to drop a Deathwing squad and the 3-man bikers to make room for a Guard Blob, or with a Comms Relay, which needs someone to man it.

If it was my list, I'd drop both Deathwing Squads out and replace them with a squad of Deathwing Knights and a Darkshroud, then bulk up the 3-man bikers. If you haven't got Belial or Azrael, Knights are far and away superior to regular Deathwing, and a Darkshroud is really neat if you don't fight exclusively Tau and CSM. Giving the basic Bikes a 4+ Jink and Sammael's unit and the Command Squad a 3+ is pretty great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts