Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I'm new to 40k and would like some advice on an all comers list. I plan to play fairly competitively.

Hq
Libby tda ss force axe 140

troops
10 x tacs flamer plasma cannon rhino homer 215 x 3

Elites
5 sternguard 5 combi melta drop pod 185

5 tac termis cml chain fist 235

Fast attack
Land speeder hb typhoon 90 x 2

Stormtalon typhoon 140 x 2

Heavy support
Predator autocannon las sponsons 120 x 2

Theory is....

Sternguard suicide
Tacs combat squad and seek objectives
Libby and termis strike where most needed
Landspeeders support preds
Talons for anti air or infantry or av

I've still got 65 points to play with. Should I swap preds for vindis? Are landspeeders adequate as av support? What should I do with remaining points? Another termi, more sternguard?

Are there any holes I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for all advice. Be harsh I want a good list.

Jamo

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Greetings all. I'm new to 40k and would like some advice on an all comers list. I plan to play fairly competitively.

Hq
Libby tda ss force axe 140
Nice choice, I like this a lot.
troops
10 x tacs flamer plasma cannon rhino homer 215 x 3
Fairly sound tactical squad choice. However, you may want to consider swapping the Plasma Cannon for a missile launcher since it can alternate between anti armour and anti personnel.
Elites
5 sternguard 5 combi melta drop pod 185
Nice.
5 tac termis cml chain fist 235
Again, nice.
Fast attack
Land speeder hb typhoon 90 x 2
The Typhoon on these are good and makes for a nice way to switch missile types. Perhaps consider a Multi Melta instead of the Heavy Bolter for an extra punch with you opponent's armour.
Stormtalon typhoon 140 x 2
Nice choice, I prefer Skyhammer missiles, but, everyone has a preference.
Heavy support
Nice choice again.

Theory is....

Sternguard suicide
Tacs combat squad and seek objectives
Libby and termis strike where most needed
Landspeeders support preds
Talons for anti air or infantry or av

I've still got 65 points to play with. Should I swap preds for vindis? Are landspeeders adequate as av support? What should I do with remaining points? Another termi, more sternguard?

Are there any holes I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for all advice. Be harsh I want a good list.

Jamo
For the last 65, I'd consider another Terminator if you also give the speeders Multi Melta.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Jace!

Ok so switched to missile launchers for troops. Nice one, I like the versatility.

I've also now put skyhammers on my talons, which again frees up more points.

Regarding the landspeeders, wouldn't melta require short range? With the hb I can sit back a bit to opt for safer firing? Am I lacking melta tho? Is that an issue?

Also I'm still undecided on the terminators. I don't want to sink too many points in them. Are the homers worth it? They do add up hey. Would I be better with a 2nd unit of sternguard with a barebones Libby? I do like the sternguard special ammo. Maybe put the first unit in a rhino too?

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I've taken things into consideration and are choosing a 2nd sternguard unti over the terminators.

Libby 100

10 tacs plasmagun ml rhino 215 x 3

8 sternguard 8 combis rhino 275

10 sternguard 5 combis rhino 310

Landspeeder hb typhoon 90 x 2

Stormtalon skyhammer 125 x 2

2000 points

Now though Im unsure of how to arm libby. Any thoughts? He'll be riding with the 8 stern.

Also any ideas for combi weapon loadout?

Cheers
Jamo

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm not entirely sure about the Skyhammer missiles. Don't get me wrong; they're great, really. BUT they don't synch well. They're fast moving, they have lots of firepower... but the monstrous range of the missile launchers is completely at odds with the assault cannons's mid range.

Personally, here's my suggestion:

Drop the 10-man Sternguard squad. Those points will give you TWO Dreadnoughts, each with a pair of TLAutocannons. Just a little bit more armor to occupy enemy guns, and the firepower is pretty impressive as well. If my math is right, you still have enough points to get another Sternguard (bringing you to 9 + the Libby) in a rhino, plus wargear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I've thought about mech vs pod transport and I'm leaning towards pods. Firstly tanks are less survivable, secondly pods support my sternguard tactic. Saying that ive still got two preds so yeah its a bit mixed.

Lysander 200

10 tacs plasmagun pod 215 x 3

10 sternguard 10 combis pod 335

10 sternguard 9 combis pod 330

stormtalon skyhammer 125 x 2

predator autocannon las sponsons 120 x 2

total 2000

Lysander rides with stern. both stern units combat squad in enemies backfield and wreck stuff. with another tac pod landing near an objective.

Preds crawl up and engage targets hopefully unhindered first turn as sternguard should cause a distraction.

Talons for anti air or where most needed.

The only thing not sitting right with me now are the predators really. What other heavy support options do i have? Even if its not something from the heavy support roster. If I dropped them I'd have 240 points for something else to fill their roll. I'm just not sure what to take. Please advise.

Cheers
Jamo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts