Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Scscofield is right about the standards, "One grey hunter per detachment may take a wolf standard" p60 of the space wolf codex (emphasis added).

However, 3 HQs is fine and dandy if using the wolves unleashed or COF detachment (can have up to 6 and 4 HQs respectively).

What book are you running from, space wolves or COF? Wolf lord is fine as is but some of the relics are hard to ignore and would really bulk him up.

Not really sure what the swiftclaws are for. If you're set on them, I'd be tempted to run them as 2 squads of three with a meltagun, combi-melta and meltabomb. Got yourself a nice little tank hunter unit that's fast and durable.

· Registered
90 Posts
List is starting to look really good!

However, due to you using the CoF detachment, you cannot mix and match relics, you have to use the relics from the CoF book, "Any Character that is part of a detachment or formation presented in this book that can select relics of the fang cannot select from those listed in Codex: space wolves, but can instead select from relics of the great wolf, presented opposite, at the points costs shown" p48 of CoF supplement

I would be tempted to use the following instead of your current lord:
Wolf Guard battle leader
-Runic Armour
-Thunderwolf Mount
-Storm shield
-Krakenbone sword

Comes to 175pts (saving you 50pts)

You lose -1 WS, W, and Ld, but gain more in assault ability.

Preferred enemy (characters) thanks to the 'First among equals' special rule that does not apply to wolf lords and a master crafted frost sword which is AP2 that hits at I5. Loss of the belt of russ means nothing as you'd use the stormshield invul save anyway.

Honestly, I don't think you really need the hoods. While in their transports, the hoods only affect the transport vehicle. More often than not your vehicles are going to pop in the shooting phase, not the psychic, so I'd save yourself 20pts here.

I'm not really a fan of the new 'only 1' wolf standard rule. I know it makes sense, but still a bit of a kick in the teeth. I really don't feel you'll get much use out of it if I'm honest you, really only have one dedicated close combat unit. I'd again save yourself 25pts here as well.

Now, I assume you gathered I'm clipping points for a reason. The alpha strike dreads are a nice addition, but they do have a tendancy to blow up very quickly when dropped right in front of the enemy.

My suggestion is (if you have the models for it of course), drop the heavy flamers from 2 of them, giving you a grand total of 115pts to play with.

Use 100 of these points to upgrade the now heavy flamer-less dreads into venerables with great axe and blizzard shields.

Drop these down turn 1 in the enemy deployment and watch them squirm. The 3+ invul to the front armour is incredibly useful for keeping them alive, while you can still charge into vehicles or infantry units to make mince meat of them.

Last 15pts I'd put into the TWC, giving them another stormshield so they have 2 (by my count on points, they only have 1).

Overall though very nice list! I wish you luck!

· Registered
90 Posts
It's completely up to you!
If you prefer using a lord than go for it! It's your list after all.

Hmmm, I am leaning more towards the longfangs at the moment. Missile launchers are very versatile weapons and as you say, a backfield presence can be very helpful.

My experience of DSing terminators is very mixed. Sometimes they work beautifully, other times they die in a storm of bullets. However, this list has a lot of "in your face" threats so I could see them working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.