Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw the Warpsmith's addition to our list I have really wanted to include him. But after a few proxy games I found his abilities a little lack luster for what I wanted out of my CSM army.
After a while I wanted to return to this guy, and stick him in a list that I felt really suited him. This list is of course not for competition, but something fun I might work towards (when I actually have some money to get it all...which will probably be never at this rate).

HQ – 110pts
Warpsmith

Troops – 172pts
Cultists (x19)

Cultists (x19)

Elites – 630pts
Chaos Decimator
-Storm Laser

Chaos Decimator
-Storm Laser

Chaos Decimator
-Storm Laser

Fast Attack – 510pts
Heldrake
-Baleflamer

Heldrake
-Baleflamer

Heldrake
-Hades Autocannon

Heavy Support – 578pts
Forgefiend

Forgefiend

Obliterators (x3)
-Mark of Nurgle

Preferred the Decimator over the helbrute, seems a lot more effective...for double the points cost...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The Decimator is a beautiful model, but honestly, it's less superior in every way to the Forgefiend, especially when you realize that Butcher Cannons are Hades Autocannons. Now, you're going with the Storm laser, which is a different weapon, but simply put, in general, the Decimator just doesn't do it. I would suggest, if you're gonna go with giant honking robots, you switch out to Chaos Contemptors. You could even go so far as to run Hvy Conversion Beamers. You gain 1BS, as well as the invul instead of the hull repair effect. They're also slightly cheaper, but they make much better fire platforms.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The model is beautiful! As soon as I saw it I wanted one. But yes, I completely agree forgefiends are far better. If I could I would field more of them, but trying to stay away from double FOC and the oblits provided some extra fire power. The Decimators role wasn't to be a fire platform but to act as protection for the fiends and cultists. Apart from certain armies and builds, the enemy will need to get up close to do anything to my lumbering beasts. The Decimators go for the counter charge, freeing my fiends from being lock in combat while the Decimators can slice and dice. Also, it was nice to field all daemon vehicles (6th edition update giving Decimators Daemon was quite nice)

Can't find the rules for the CC, I used to have them but lost them sadly. Anyone know where I could get them or which IA they were in. Tried looking them up but got mixed messages.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Not a big fan of the incredible lack of Troops, especially at 2k points. I also like the thought of an allied Daemons contingent, if only to A) get in a Tzeentchi character throwing Presciences on the BS3 daemon engines and B) a Soul Grinder, one of the explicit products of the Soul Forge.

My favorite way to kit the Warpsmith: give him the Burning Brand of Skalathrax. Gotta love firing a flamer and the Brand at the same time, especially if they're in a squad with other flamers. An invulnerable save (aura of dark glory, since he doesn't have access to sigil of corruption, and maybe a MoT if you have the spare points) is nice but not necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts