Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont have my codex on me, but i've used this army a lot, so here is my list...
HQ.
epistolary librarian w/ terminator armour
storm bolter
force weapon
adamantine mantle
psychic hood
frag grenades
storm of the emperors wrath
might of heroes
terminator honours
teleport homer

5 terminator command squad
2 assault cannons
5 x tank hunter
Elites

5 assault terminatos
2 lightning claws
3 thunder hammers
5 x furious charge

venerable dreadnought
assault cannon
heavy flamer
tank hunter
extra armour
smoke launchers

dreadnought
assault cannon
heavy flamer
extra armour

Troops

5 scouts
4 sniper rifles
1 heavy bolter

6 tactical marines
vet sergeant (power sword / bolt pistol / teleport homer)
flamer
missile launcher
grag / kraks x 6
furious charge x 6

fast attack

5 assault marines
vet sergeant w/ power fist / bolt pistol / teleport homer
plasma pistol
5 x furious charge

2 land speeder tornados w assault cannon / heavy bolter

heavy support

6 man devastator squad
heavy bolter
2 missile launchers
1 lascannon

whirlwind w/ vengeance missiles
extra armour
smoke launchers

i usually take the medicae facility and deep strike stratagems.
plus i normally play against eldar.

what does everyone think?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
so its a city fight army then? Looks solid enough although I believe being part of the command squad means the libby has to take Tankhunters too. Otherwise the squad wouldn't be able to use it. not sure about the tactical squad though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i mainly play cityfight so its the army i use for that, i wouldnt change too much if i was playing on a more open battle field though.

i find the tactical squad makes a useful reserve force and is good at hanging about to sneak onto objectives late in the game.

and yeah the librarian should have tank hunter as well, forgot to add it on there.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
if your venerable dreadnought is going to be a tank hunter give him a lascannon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not too keen on giving lascannon to venerable dreadnought for a few reasons.

A twin linked lascannon hits 5/6 times it shoots.
If average vehicle armour is taken as 12 (i mostly play eldar) and i will usually be shooting at vehicles which have moved more than 6" meaning i can only get a glancing hit. a lascannon being strength 9 with tank hunter means 2/3 of my shots will score glancing hits. each turn i can cause a maximum of one glancing hit with a lascannon as it is heavy 1.
the chances of this are 5/6 x 2/3 = 10/18 = 5/9

whereas an assault cannon is heavy 4 and strength 7 with tank hunter, plus it is a rending weapon so....

i fire four shots, 2/3 of which will hit.
1/4 of all shots which hit will be rending.
1/3 of the shots which hit will score 12 or more giving me glancing hits.

so 4 x 2/3 = 8/3
8/3 x 1/3 = 8/9
plus some extra goodness form rending which i cant be bothered working out.

so i think somehow that works out as an assault cannon being better, i know the sums arent quite on the money, but i'd rather have a gun which once i've shot up a tank or two or if my opponenet uses buildings to keep his tanks out the way can still be of use against infantry and still insta-kill his commander.

i feel all dirty now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i wouldnt take that raven guard are ment to beswift not heavy lots of assault marines win the battle for them and no librarians chaplin jump pack and shrike is all u need as heros also try squeze as many assault marines as you can in:victory:

happy gaming

also lots and lots of rhinos no big tanks apart from preds:eek:k:

·
Registered
52 Posts
unfortuneatly you cant have many rhinol or drop pods because of flesh over steel every transport is a fast attack choice

·
Registered
267 Posts
whereas an assault cannon is heavy 4 and strength 7 with tank hunter, plus it is a rending weapon so....

i fire four shots, 2/3 of which will hit.
1/4 of all shots which hit will be rending.
1/3 of the shots which hit will score 12 or more giving me glancing hits.

so 4 x 2/3 = 8/3
8/3 x 1/3 = 8/9
plus some extra goodness form rending which i cant be bothered working out.

How is 1/4 shots going to be rending? You need 6's to rend, 2/3 will hit as you said. And 1/6 will rend. No matter how you do the math, you need to incorporate 1/6 as your fraction because it's dealt off the initial roll to determine rending, not a follow up roll.

1/6 x 4 = 4/6 which means for every 4 dice you roll you have a 2/3 (66%) chance to get a rending hit out of 4 dice.

Otherwise the math is straight. And I do like assault cannons a lot.

Looks solid

Goodluck

Alias

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Sieg, as much as Synidus might appreciate you spreading the word for him; it usually is against forum rules to advertise other forums like that.

As for your list Raving Guard, it doesn't look all that much like a Raven Guard list to be honest. Terminators and most armour are things that RG do not make as much use of because of their more stealthy and assault oriented tactics. Scouts, assault squads, and drop pod units (a dreadnought and some tactical squads usually) are more what RG armies are known for making large use of.

·
Registered
800 Posts
A "raving" guard, not raven guard :p Therefore he might not want assault marines, he might want drugged up teens high on E.

On the other hand though, you really need alot more assault marines for raven guard. Try Shrike too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts