Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Basically im new to Fantasy and heres my first attempt at a competitive 2000pt Lizardmen list for C&C

Lords
Slann, BSB, Cupped Hands, Focused Rumination and Focus of Mystery (Life)

Lords = 395

Hero

Skink Priest, Lvl 2 Wizard, Dispell Scroll

Heroes = 125

Core

24 Saurus with spears, Musician and Standard – 306pts

10 Skirmish Skinks = 70pts

Core = 752

Special

20 Temple Guard & Standard = 334pts

Stegadon = 235

Special Total = 537

Rare

x2 Salamander & Extra Handler = 160pts

Rare Total = 160

Grand Total = 2001

·
Registered
353 Posts
Skinks are NOT worth taking IMO. They will accomplish nothing and die in droves. Those temple guard are expensive for what is essentially an over glorified saurus, but useful with your slann. I would take Razordons of Salamanders more reliably killy in my oppinion. And you may feel the lack of an old blood or scar vet in CC

·
Registered
312 Posts
A scar vet will make a unit of saurus a huge threat to any opponent. Skirmishers are still good. They took some hits with 8th, but they can now march and shoot. If you have blowpipes, that means that you could march 12 inches and shoot 12 inches (at a single shot per skink) and get an auto wound on 6s. Now, if you manage to march within close range, all the better (you get the double tap then).

Salamanders are a must in 8th edition. Anything in under the template is hit. I face a unit of HE pheonix guard today, I had 3 salamanders fire at them. I hit the unit 18 times! Of those 18, I scored 13 wounds. And it forces a panic check if it causes 1 wound. Also, due to the war beast rules and the monster and handler rules. The skink handlers get to attack from behind thier monster and use his WS and toughness for the fight! They are awesome now!

You also need some kind of war machine hunting units. I would recommend chameleons or terradons. The chameleons are amazing. They can march 12, shoot 12 inches and still poison on 6s. Plus, they can be deployed 12inches away from the enemy units that you are targeting (in the open).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah your list looks fairly good but I do have some recomendations.
If you take out the skinks and lower the Temple gaurd unit down to 16 you should have enough points for a decked out scar-vet which as Arli pointed out will make your saurus pretty scary, you might even be able to fit in another Salamander.

Just as an example in 2000 pts I normally run a Slaan, 2 scar-vet, 2 skink priests, 2x20 Saurus, 16 temple gaurd and some Salamanders, has been doing fairly well so far.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the reply everyone, managed to get y hands on a cheap battilion box set so basinig my army round that now!

Heres my new list

Lords
Slann, BSB, Cupped Hands, Focused Rumination and Focus of Mystery (Life)

Lords = 395pts

Hero

Skink Priest, Lvl 2 Wizard, Dispell Scroll

Heroes = 125pts

Core

Core = 682pts

Special

16 Temple Guard & Standard = 270pts

x8 Coldones & Musicain - 310pts

x6 Chameleon Skinks - 72pts

Special Total = 652pts

Rare

x2 Salamander = 150pts

Rare Total = 150pts

Grand Total = 2004 pts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would drop one unit of saurus. Then this is where I would put those points:

Add 2 chameleons (8 chameleons =16 poisoned shots at whatever you are shooting at).
Add 1 salamander and give them all one extra snack (handler).
Drop the TG down to 10.
Add 5 more saurus warriors to one saurus unit (30 + scarvet).
Add a scar vet with fencing blades, light armor, and enchanted shield. That will get you 5 attacks at Weapons skill 10. Do not make this guy a BSB though, if the unit breaks, he dies (lost one that way yesterday).
Add 10 more skirmishers. If your oponnent wastes any units on these, they are worth the points.use them to turn units so you can get a flank charge.

The above changes would make the army 1998.
The reason I would remove the unit of saurus is because the TG is an awesome unit. You can use it as you would have used that saurus unit. And this way, the slann is there to buff the saurus unit and you can reroll your leadership on the general's LD 9.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would drop the cold ones down to 5 and get rid of the skinks and chamo skinks, make the saurus units 30 (5x6) means they'll be stubborn for a while with 6 ranks, then add 8 temple guard to the unit. If your taking 10 TG you might as well take none they'll die way to quickly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts