Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finally got the codex and looking to run the following list this weekend for my first playtest:

SLAUGHTERCULT

Chaos Lord, Juggernaut, Sigil of Corruption, Goredrinker (175)

8 Bloodletters, Bloodreaper (85)
8 Bloodletters, Bloodreaper (85)

5 Possessed, Rhino (185)

GOREPACK
3 Chaos Bikers, 2x Meltaguns, 1x Combi-melta (Champion), Melta-Bombs (Champion) (111)
3 Chaos Bikers, 2x Meltaguns, 1x Combi-melta (Champion), Melta-Bombs (Champion) (111)
5 Flesh hounds (80)
5 Flesh hounds (80)
14 Flesh hounds (224)

WAR ENGINE
Soul Grinder, Baleful Torrent (155)
Soul Grinder, Baleful Torrent (155)
Maulerfiend (130)
Maulerfiend (130)

Combined Arms Detachment:

Herald, Locus of Fury (75)

8 Cultists (58)
8 Cultists (58)

Rhino (35)
Rhino (35)
Rhino (35)

Total: 2002pts

I'm not sure about that 2nd combined arms detachment, since I could fit the cultists in with the Slaughtercult, however as I understand I don't get access to Rhinos as FA.. which is why I wanted to include it..

Let me know what you think

Also can someone clarify, do two separate detachments generate 2 pools of Blood Tithe points? Even if they all have BftBG rule?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Also can someone clarify, do two separate detachments generate 2 pools of Blood Tithe points? Even if they all have BftBG rule?
Only 1 Blood Tithe pool per army, not detachment...
HOWEVER if you had multiple Bloodhosts (meaning you would need 2 or more Slaughtercults and the requisite additional formations) you would generate multiple additional free Blood Points.

So 465 for your minimum Slaughter (1 Herald, 2X 8 Bloodletters, 5 Possessed), then 1 Helbrute.
I am not saying it is optimal to do so, but you could make a few adjustments like giving yourself a reaper in the letters and upgrading the brutes weapons or making it a Maulerfiend or Soulgrinder.
Make 2 of them for less than 1k and you get 2 Tithe Points a turn to add to whatever you are normally generating.
Could be interesting to see how well the bonus Tithes pushes to. Have 8 of them and you could summon a Thirster every turn... including turn 1 without needing anyone to die! Though I think probably 3-5 would be the cap point for effectiveness, as that would mean you could perma FNP or summon new units.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Those Bloodreapers aren't too necessary, I think, given that your BT/DP summoning has to be into a model that doesn't already have the "Daemon" rule. Would rather have, say, meltabombs on the Lord.

Don't think you need those rhinos on the CAD, especially since you haven't bought units that can take them as a Dedicated Transport for ObSec. If you're trying to spam squishy units, you might as well go 2 squads of 1 spawn and 2 cultist squads on the Slaughter Cult--more units that benefit from any secondary Slaughter Cult tithe bonuses, to boot.

HOWEVER if you had multiple Bloodhosts (meaning you would need 2 or more Slaughtercults and the requisite additional formations) you would generate multiple additional free Blood Points.
Now that is a fine thought, that is... going to have to check the wording, but I might be tempted to try that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Those Bloodreapers aren't too necessary, I think, given that your BT/DP summoning has to be into a model that doesn't already have the "Daemon" rule. Would rather have, say, meltabombs on the Lord.

Don't think you need those rhinos on the CAD, especially since you haven't bought units that can take them as a Dedicated Transport for ObSec. If you're trying to spam squishy units, you might as well go 2 squads of 1 spawn and 2 cultist squads on the Slaughter Cult--more units that benefit from any secondary Slaughter Cult tithe bonuses, to boot.

Now that is a fine thought, that is... going to have to check the wording, but I might be tempted to try that.
I was going to put the both bloodletter squads (one with herald) and a cultist squad inside and rush them forward.. alongside the possessed rhino, providing cover for bikes, msu hounds and maybe even maulerfiends.. who really cares about Objective Secured in this day and age

My though behind bloodreapers was that I'll mostly be trying to charge MEQ or weaker units.. in a challenge, on a charge Bloodreaper with Hellblade should wipe out most sergeants before they even get to swing back, thus generating a blood point, with the rest of the bloodletters finishing off the rest of the squad and generating another. If by chance the bloodletters get wiped out, either in shooting or in assault thats 2 more BP generated (depending on how you read the rules)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
My though behind bloodreapers was that I'll mostly be trying to charge MEQ or weaker units.. in a challenge, on a charge Bloodreaper with Hellblade should wipe out most sergeants before they even get to swing back, thus generating a blood point, with the rest of the bloodletters finishing off the rest of the squad and generating another. If by chance the bloodletters get wiped out, either in shooting or in assault thats 2 more BP generated (depending on how you read the rules)
Having the more characters to challenge is definitely an important aspect to the blood point generation (and if the enemy player chooses not to accept challenges--well, that's often the most effective member of the squad choosing not to fight that round, and enemy CSM/Black Templars/etc always do have to issue & accept challenges), so you're right on the money there. I think an obviously misplaced comma is no reason to interpret the clauses of the challenge win or loss as another blood point when a character is wiped out outside of shooting (and even the codex author has come out in that regard).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having the more characters to challenge is definitely an important aspect to the blood point generation (and if the enemy player chooses not to accept challenges--well, that's often the most effective member of the squad choosing not to fight that round, and enemy CSM/Black Templars/etc always do have to issue & accept challenges), so you're right on the money there. I think an obviously misplaced comma is no reason to interpret the clauses of the challenge win or loss as another blood point when a character is wiped out outside of shooting (and even the codex author has come out in that regard).
Who is the author? I've been trying to find his name written anywhere in the book and couldn't.

Also, did he happen to mention anything about.. you know, Axe of Ruin summoning extra Bloodthirsters, or summoned units arriving via deep strike (flight mode argument)?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Who is the author? I've been trying to find his name written anywhere in the book and couldn't.

Also, did he happen to mention anything about.. you know, Axe of Ruin summoning extra Bloodthirsters, or summoned units arriving via deep strike (flight mode argument)?
Well, someone claiming to have written the rules in the book. I think GW is avoiding slapping names on books, now, so that people don't look for signals in the noise a la Matt Ward.

The image in somewhere in the comments down here, IIRC:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/40k-rules-conundrum-blood-god-edition.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, someone claiming to have written the rules in the book. I think GW is avoiding slapping names on books, now, so that people don't look for signals in the noise a la Matt Ward.

The image in somewhere in the comments down here, IIRC:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/40k-rules-conundrum-blood-god-edition.html
Fair enough,

Anyway, as a veteran chaos player.. what would you suggest is altered/dropped in my list? I haven't really had much experience playing pure assault chaos army since 4th ed

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Sorry for the side-tracking derailing, there...

Well, I've posted my thoughts on the ability to fold the cultists into the Slaughter Cult (with Spawn, if you're looking for squishy cheap Blood Points instead of Rhinos), but that sort of raises the question... what are you using those Rhinos for, that makes the CAD an essential choice? Transporting Bloodletters? Baffles to keep enemies distant from your actual troops? Disposable Blood Tithe tank shockers to Death or Glory? Rear-board objective claimers?

There are certainly uses for them: keeping enemy melta squads more than 6" from your Soul Grinders and Maulerfiends, for instance.

Where is that Herald with Hatred-Locus going? In the Possessed? He doesn't have a Juggernaut to keep up with the Hounds-with-Lord, so...

Hounds-with-Lord in mind, be wary of, say, an Imperial Knight charging in and locking those guys up. That's a lot of Fearless points for not even a meltabomb attack per turn against the enemy AV 13 front.

I'm somewhat underimpressed by the statline of the Goredrinker, given its cost--if I want a nasty Unwieldy weapon, I'll save some points and get a Power Fist without having to kill a bunch of enemies and for a few points cheaper. Sure, late-game Instant Death is nice, and it's not clear if the +1S and such stack with the 2xS, so we kind of have to assume it's going to... but that's assuming some pre-kills, and kinda leaves your Lord slapping only moderately killy in the mean time, unless he gets a squishy, many-bodied squad to chop his way through, first.

With 4 Rhinos and 4 Daemon Engines, you're kinda praying that your opponent doesn't bring several Knights or a bunch of Grav weapons, those being your Achilles heel, but... it is certainly a commitment that many opponents won't be able to handle, especially on top of the Flesh Hounds scouting into their faces and the extra 4 Rhinos blocking lanes of close fire against the Daemon Engines, until you need them to step aside...

I think it'd be a fun list to play. I might spread out the 14 Flesh Hound block into the other Flesh Hound and Biker squads a bit, and just keep the Lord carefully hidden behind terrain/hopping from retinue to retinue as necessary, for a more balanced killiness all around, but... that's up to you, and how many eggs you want to put in how many baskets.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Honestly that CAD is there for filling points...remove it and play at 1750. Or use those points better, getting maybe two more war engines. Way more effective, imo. You could add some 8 cultists chaff in the middle and add another 2 Maulerfiend. still 3 easy blood points and impact doubled, imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts