Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is my first post of an army. have spent a lot of time debating all this and finally decided to go away from my initial thoughts of ts because of the points cost per squad. so i have come back to my first thoughts of an army using khorne zerkers and such. please feel free to c&c. any suggestions welcomed.

HQ

(265)Daemon Prince
-Power Armour
-Wings
-The Black Mace
-Mark of Khorne

Elites

(192)Khorne Berzerkers
-5 zerkers with chainaxe instead of ccw
-champion with bolt pistol and chainaxe
-icon of wrath
-rhino dedicated transport

Elites
(192)Khorne Berzerkers
-4 zerkers with chainaxe instead of ccw
-icon of wrath

Troops

(85) CSM
-3 marines with bolt pistol, boltgun
-aspiring champion with bolt pistol, boltgun, ccw
-1 marine with meltagun, boltpistol

(85) CSM

(95) CSM
-1 marine with plasma gun, boltpistol

(95) CSM

Fast Attack

(150) Chaos Bikers
-5 bikers with 2 melta guns
-champion with bolt pistol, ccw

(150) Chaos Bikers

(170) Heldrake with baleflamer

Heavy Support

(252)Chaos Land Raider
-Dozer Blade
-Havoc Launcher
-Warpflame Gargoyles

(140) Obliterators x2

(140) Obliterators x2

Total points: 1998

This is the basic list I have come up with to start. Again any suggestions or critiques are welcome. Not set on anything other then pretty much the obliterators because seems from everything i have seen they are really strong right now.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why not just build the list with the Khorne daemonkin codex? You'd have to swap the obliterators for something else (two soul grinders maybe?) and the chaos space marines and bikes would come with the mark of Khorne, but you'd then have access to the blood tithe table and extra buffs that involves

Otherwise, what does the land raider do in this list? It doesn't seem to have a close combat unit to transport and for the sake of two TL lascannons and TL heavy bolters it's very expensive. I'd look at bringing one of those berzerker units up to full strength, giving the unit leader a power weapon/fist and then you can rush the land raider up the table and your daemon prince can use it for cover

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont currently have the kdk codex so was trying to build something with the csm codex that i do have was main reason for staying away from that route atm.

laid raider was just some armor to bring some decent size guns to the fight, but i will look into switching it up and putting a full group of zerkers in it and making some better use of it

thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
268 Posts
HQ

(265)Daemon Prince
-Power Armour
-Wings
-The Black Mace
-Mark of Khorne

Solid. I prefer nurgle as it prevents instant death vs incoming s10 but it doesn't fit the theme.

Elites

(192)Khorne Berzerkers
-5 zerkers with chainaxe instead of ccw
-icon of wrath

Icon is a bit pricey for only 5 models. If you want to keep the icon, I would put the two 5 strong units together into one 10 strong . This will ensure a better return on your investment into the banner as more models should make it into combat. Personally I would just drop the icon and save the points as it's very hard to get off a charge from a Rhino.

The chainaxes are also too pricey for my tastes. The benefit they bring is so meager, ap4 doesn't buy the unit anything against most close combat threats. Berzerkers are already too pricey without adding more per model.

I would make sure your champions have melta bombs. This gives the unit a defense against MCs and walkers. Champions do most of the work in assault for CSM, so a power weapon isn't too terrible of an investment. I stick with the humble power sword as, most importantly, it swings at i4 ap3 which gives an edge over other MEQ characters. Ultimately however I prefer to keep my champions cheap due to their suicidal tendencies.

For the Rhinos, I find that dozer blades are often worth it on units that really need to get somewhere. Or perhaps a dirge caster to help your assault units survive their way into combat.

5 Berzerkers: champion w/ melta bombs - 110
Rhino: dirge caster - 40

Elites
(192)Khorne Berzerkers
-4 zerkers with chainaxe instead of ccw
-icon of wrath

Troops

(85) CSM

I would add melta bombs to the champion to aid in this unit's tank hunting. And get them a Rhino. The extra mobility on these objective secured units will win games.

Could consider giving the champion a combi-melta to double their vehicle killing power on the critical turn when you're in range of a heavy vehicle. I don't bother but it's a good option.

5 Chaos Marines: meltagun, champion w/ melta bombs - 90
Rhino: dozer blade - 40

(85) CSM

(95) CSM

5 points over, should be 90. I would however strongly consider a rhino for plasma gun units. Both for mobility and for a havoc launcher as you'll likely be moving only 6" if you want to shoot out the hatch.

I would throw melta bombs on the champion here as well. Can never have too many when facing down a Wraithknight, Imperial Knight or similar.

5 Chaos Marines: plasma gun, champion w/ melta bombs - 95
Rhino: havoc launcher - 47

(95) CSM

Fast Attack

(150) Chaos Bikers

I'd argue that Chaos Bikers are the best unit in the codex. Points should be 130. 135 if you add melta bombs ;).

5 Chaos Bikers: 2 meltaguns, champion w/ melta bombs - 135

(150) Chaos Bikers

(170) Heldrake with baleflamer

Never a bad choice.

Heavy Support

(252)Chaos Land Raider
-Dozer Blade
-Havoc Launcher
-Warpflame Gargoyles

If you're looking for some heavy hitting armor:

Predator: twin-linked lascannon, 2 lascannons - 130

More damage output than a land raider for near half the cost.

(140) Obliterators x2

Nice to have a utility knife unit. Units of 2 seem best to me as well unless you need more heavy slots or are buffing the unit with divination. I believe it's always best to take obliterators with mark of nurgle. Otherwise it is too easy to double them out with s8 weapons.

(140) Obliterators x2

Total points: 1998

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that chainaxes are a bad idea. The only army they are useful against is Orks, but I would call it list tailoring if you planned on fighting them and brought chain axes. Aside from them I cant think of a unit with 4+ armor or worse that berserkers cant already beat in combat. If you have 3 extra points at the end, then sure, add one. But don't plan them into your list.

I also agree about the banners. The larger the unit, the more efficient the banner.

Stick a large blob of zerkers in yourLR or drop it. Put all your vanilla marines in Rhinos with Havoc Launchers. The Havoc Launcher gives the rhino an actual punch and you can fire it after moving 6".

Maulerfiends would go well with this list both as an effective unit and for flavor.

Spawn also go pretty well in a khorne list. You can leave them unmarked since mark of nurgle doesn't fit the fluff and mark of khorne is wasted points.

Anyway, lots of good advice from others so far. Let us know what you come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts