Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During our upcoming school holidays me and a mate are going to play two 2000pt Eldar vs Orks games, with one game consisting of an eldar gunline army vs an ork hoard army and the second game being an ork gunline army vs an eldar assaulting army. Basically this is what I came up with for the gunline army:

Eldard (210)

Farseer w/ Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones (120)

6 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch w/ Tank Hunters (243)
Wave Serpent w/ TL Missile Launcher

9x Dire Avengers w/ Exarch w/ Dual Avenger Shruicats, Bladestorm (275)
Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lance

9x Dire Avengers w/ Exarch w/ Dual Avenger Shruicats, Bladestorm (260)

10x Dire Avengers w/ Exarch w/ Dual Avenger Shruicats, Bladestorm (272)

7x Pathfinders w/ Camo Cloaks (168)

2x Night Spinners w/ Holo-Fields (300)

1x Fire Prism w/ Holo-Field (115)

1997/2000

Basically the idea is to stick Eldard with one unit of 9 DA's and the Farseer with the other unit of 9 DA's and use the Wave Serpents to position my DA's to where I need them to be. The Fire Dragons are there because my mate loves to use Meganobs in a Battlewagon. I chose the single Bright Lance on the Serpent to hit anything that needs a bit more power to put it down. Night Spinners for anti-hoard duties, and Pathfinders to hit his Meganobs once they're out of the Wagon and to pick off any stragglers.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome

Also if anyone has any ideas as to what I should include in an assaulting eldar army it would be appreciated

Thanks
Dawnstar

Edited to reflect Fire Dragon Wave Serpent

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hehe, seems like fun games. Although one thing begs a question...since you're already using both a Nightspinner and Fire Prism, why not take 2 Prisms and 1 Nightspinner? A lone Nightspinner is much more useful than a lone Prism and two Prisms are more useful than two Nightspinners.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My guess with the 2 Night Spinners is that he is planning on forcing more Terrain checks. This will likely buy him some additional time to shoot and will help thin out the horde.

The Avengers will likely be able to eat through a squad of Boyz each every other turn or so with proper support. But those Pathfinders will be wanting to shoot at a Doomed unit if you can manage it. Those Fire Dragons would probably prefer being in one of those Serpents, especially given how important they are in your plan.

All in all, its not too gunline IMO with all those transports. I expected a bit more long ranged shooting (Dark Reapers and more Scatter Lasers and EML), but I like what your plan with the Night Spinners. Now if you could only work in a tad bit more shooting over 24"! Granted we don't have the best troop options for that, but Jetbikes' have the ability to move in the Assault phase could essentially give their Shuriken Cannons a range of 30", if you wanted to go that way.. Its too bad Eldar don't have any really shooty Elite choices...

As for assault Eldar you have 3 fantastic options: Harlies (most killy, most fragile, 40 attacks on charge [take the rending!]), Scorpions (Most reliable Strength, most durable, 40 attacks on charge, not fleet), Banshees (Power Weapons, low Strength, medium durability, 30 attacks on charge).

Against Ork Boyz, Scorpions will be your best bet as they will come close to the kill count of Harlies and still be able to stand up to the numerous return attacks. Also, Scorps could Infiltrate in or Outflank behind the gunline. Their Phoenix Lord Karandras is capable of some nastiness on his own and is capable of a turn 1 charge. 7 Powerfist S8 attacks with that WS is more than enough to make sure he can earn his points back on his own vs. some Nobz.

Against FnP or MegaNobz I would lean more toward Banshees. You get to by pass their saves with every wound instead of having to depend on rending. Fleet will let you close into combat a little early, as well. Their Phoenix Lord is top notch as well, she will almost always wound on 2's and ignore armor. That deadliness is almost doubled if she is gets to shoot the turn she assaults.

Harlies provide a good option for you too as they will be able to approach a gunline virtually unscathed with the help of the Shadowseer. Also, they can take 2 fusion pistols to help down Nobz if need be. They will close in quicker than the other two options and their 5++ is just as good against a PK as a choppa. You can even potentially utilize Hit and Run to get deeper into enemy lines to wreck havoc!

Either way, I would take a Fortune/Doomseer to keep your units kicking. Transports are always nice to make sure you get to do the charging and arrive in one piece.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Styro, you have some good ideas. Due to me being silly, I forgot to include the Fire Dragons Wave Serpent :scratchhead. Thanks for pointing that out.

I like the idea of Striking Scorpions and Banshees for elite choices. Thanks for the help Styro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts