Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As inspired by one of the posts in this thread I have decided to make a list using a lot of things daemonic.

The challenge is as follows:
-HQ must be two daemon princes
-All three elite slots must be possessed
-Make use of some summoned daemon(s) (sorry Malgron I just couldn't fit the lesser daemons in addition to the greater daemon)

And am imposing the following challenge in addition to the above:
-If more than one god used, the second may not be the enemy god. (So no Khorne and Slaanesh or Nurgle and Tzeentch)

What I've come up with is the following:

HQ:
Daemon prince
Wings; mark of Khorne

Daemon prince
Mark of Tzeentch; wings; warptime; bolt of change

Summoned greater daemon

Elites:
8x Possessed
Icon of Khorne; champion

9x Possessed
Icon of Tzeentch

9x Possessed
Icon of Tzeentch

Troops:
8x Khorne berzerkers
Skull champion; powerfist

8x Khorne berzerkers
Skull champion; powerfist

Fast Attack:
Chaos spawn

Heavy Support:
2x Obliterator

2x Obliterator

Total: 2002

So now I put this up in the chaos section for any and all to see and ask, what do you all think? Just about any comments or criticism's are welcome.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
This is fun! Here's my (slightly more expensive) take on it:

HQ
• Daemon Prince
- Mark of Tzeentch; Wings; Warptime, Bolt of Change
200 points
• Daemon Prince – Mark of Khorne; Wings
140 points

ELITES
• 8 Possessed of Khorne
- Icon of Khorne
238 points
• 9 Possessed of Tzeentch - Icon of Tzeentch
274 points
• 9 Possessed of Tzeentch - Icon of Tzeentch
274 points

TROOPS
• 9 Thousand Sons
- Aspiring Sorceror with Bolt of Change; Rhino with combi-melta
314 points
• 8 Khorne Berzerkers - Skull Champion with powerfist; Rhino with extra armour
258 points
• 8 Khorne Berzerkers - Skull Champion with powerfist; Rhino with extra armour
258 points
• 8 Bloodletters
104 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• Vindicator - Daemonic Possession
145 points
145 points

TOTAL:
2,500 points

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think it's a cool idea and would definitely make for an interesting looking force. Everyone knows possessed are random as all hell but having 3 squads will be interesting considering you create better chances of getting something worth using like PWs for example. I would personally swap the MOK possessed squad for some more troops. In all likely hood more berzerkers. This, however, does not meet your challenge criteria, but it would definitely make this list a little more combat effective and reliable.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Svartmetall, that one actually looks really fucking cool; imagine if someone took it to 'ard boyz and placed well? If only thanks to the shock factor.:laugh:

I was toying around with the idea of vehicles, but opted for all footsloggers in order to make anti-tank weapons more useless.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you're going for footsloggers, while thousand sons are pretty good for it too, you might also want to consider noise marines. They might not be as hard to kill as plague or rubric marines, but setting them up to shoot behind a wall of possessed and summoned daemons with lash-princes grouping them together for Blastmaster shots could work surprisingly well for me.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Why've you chosen to take that many possessed, Taking 15+ Possessed worth of points in a list and you deserve to loose... If i made challenge to make a really poor list, I'd say fill all 3 elites with Possessed...

Thought this looked like a cool challenge, unlike your last :| But no, Possessed.

Just spam Lesser daemons in the Hundred and take a Greater Daemon.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that one ROT, always nice to have at least one dark cloud to try and ruin the day of the people out and about eh?

People decry certain units as terrible, as shit, as absolutely not worth taking; and another member against that put it perfectly:

Stella Cadente said:
if they don't wanna waste there time helping people use units they think are "sub-par" then maybe they are the ones who shouldn't be wasting everyones time in tactic and list sections.

and how would they know a unit is sub-par without using it?, and maybe its sub-par because these people "who know what there doing" have no idea what there doing at all, and so stick to two dimensional lists that require no brain power to use
(Yeah thats right, one of the two members responsible for me coming to this challenge is Stella and in a good way.)

Honestly though, I really did want to include lesser daemons I just ran out of points.

That aside, anyone else got anything? Come on people what are your thoughts for the list? Anything you might suggest? Idea's you have?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Khorne Daemon Spam.

Playing lists where you can rely on a unit doing it's job isn't being a 2-Dimensional Moron;

And for what it's worth, to prove myself worthy of helping out with lists in the eyes of the Great Reever and Stella; Heres my list

Daemonic Khorne Spam

HQ-

Daemon Prince of Khorne - 140
MoK, Wings

Daemon Prince of Khorne - 140

Greater Daemon of Khorne (Bloodthirster) - 100

Elites-

(5) Khornate Possessed - 160
MoK

MoK

MoK

Troops-

(8) Khorne Berserkers - 258
Skull Champion with Powerfist
Rhino with Extra Armour

(8) Khorne Berserkers - 258
Skull Champion with Powerfist
Rhino with Extra Armour

(8) Lesser Daemons of Khorne

Heavy Support-

Khorne Defiler - 150
4 Dreadnought-Close-Combat-Weapons

Khorne Defiler - 150
4 Dreadnought-Close-Combat-Weapons

Theres a touch from my side. (the Khorne side)

NB: And also sorry for getting aggy, List was more interesting to make than i figured, So i admit i was wrong to judge the challenge without trying it.

Lesson learned.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
If you're going for footsloggers, while thousand sons are pretty good for it too, you might also want to consider noise marines. They might not be as hard to kill as plague or rubric marines, but setting them up to shoot behind a wall of possessed and summoned daemons with lash-princes grouping them together for Blastmaster shots could work surprisingly well for me.
See, that's now got me wondering about trying to work up a Slaanesh-and-Nurgle one of these. However, after the marathon of typing up and formatting the Death Guard Compendium just now I think looking at the Codex again tonight would cause me to have a psychotic episode :biggrin: so I'll save that till tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And look at that fucking list! It looks absolutely awesome, holds to sacred number, has a general feel of Khorne to it, and can work. (The individual possessed squads might only be five strong, but overall your list has forty eight non vehicles.)

Possessed, or any part of these challenges, might hold a list back from being the epic first place holder of the most competative enviornments but it looks interesting. Can play interesting as well, just gotta be willing to try sometimes.

I will admit this though, the lack of frag grenades on possessed really hurts them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This seems cool. I may try my hand at a list later, after i wake up a bit.

For now: my 2 cents on the possessed. I think possessed can actually be useful if you take multiple squads of 5, with either MoK/MoN. On any Daemonkin roll other than 1, they gain a useful power at a reasonable cost.
Furious Charge essentially makes them S5 berserkers with an invul.
Fleet increases their assault range, which is always good.
Rending gives them the ability to take down TeQs and vehicles with a little luck.
FnP makes them disturbingly hard to kill for a melee unit, especially if you took MoN.
Power Weapons let them carve through most infantry with ease.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nurgle/Slaanesh would be nice. Luscious + Plague marines = -2 attacks for some that charge them seems fun to me. Possessed are blessed by being so easy to make. Greenstuff some marine bits together lol.

I will say that people would not be expecting this and perhaps deploy improperly or respond badly.

I agree that the randomness is cut considerably. Especially considering their objective is to grips at all costs, any random extras are icing on the cake.

Khorne possessed with 5 str 5 PW attacks on the charge would be hilarious, or Feel No Pain Tzeentch guys.

I think this would be a riot to play with. :laugh:

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Aaarghh! I can't stop myself!

HQ
• Daemon Prince
- Mark of Nurgle; Wings; Warptime
175 points
• Daemon Prince – Mark of Slaanesh; Wings; Lash of Submission
155 points

ELITES
• 7 Possessed of Nurgle
– Icon of Nurgle
232 points
• 7 Possessed of Nurgle – Icon of Nurgle
232 points
• 6 Possessed of Slaanesh - Icon of Slaanesh
238 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
- Plague Champion with powerfist; 2 meltaguns; Rhino
256 points
• 7 Plague Marines - Plague Champion with powerfist; 2 flamers
211 points
• 6 Emperor's Children - Noise Champion with Doom Siren and powerfist; 5 sonic blasters; Rhino
235 points
• 6 Emperor's Children - Noise Champion with Doom Siren and powerfist; 5 sonic blasters; Rhino
235 points
• 7 Plaguebearers
91 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
145 points
145 points

TOTAL:
2,500 points

·
Registered
172 Posts
I will admit this though, the lack of frag grenades on possessed really hurts them.
Take a dp with lash to counter it?
Just lash the unit you want to charge out of their cover (altho that might go against your 2 gods combo in the list you made).

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take a dp with lash to counter it?
Just lash the unit you want to charge out of their cover (altho that might go against your 2 gods combo in the list you made).
This was the first thing that came to mind when I was making the list, but I had my heart set on Khorne and no enemies in the same list limitation going on.

I do want to make a list using the lash princes though, so expect to see me posting up another list with that in mind.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Aaarghh! I can't stop myself!
Plague/Noise marine combo...

... I think I'm going to have to steal this list for a few games....

OH! I had another thought. Since Defilers automatically come demonically possessed, do you think working them in would add to the whole demonic flavor?

EDIT: Just backtracked a bit and saw ROT's list. Looks like he had the same idea and beat me to it, lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't worry too much about that. My brother runs footslogging Crusader squads without frag grenades and it doesn't hurt him much. Granted its a 15 man squad with an HQ choice attached to it, but for the most part being T4 with a 3+ save is very useful against anything that isn't filled to the brim with power or rending weapons. It's nice to see someone using units that are generally looked down upon. Maybe you could take what you learn using the possessed and write a tactics article for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts