Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HQ
Avatar {Warlord} - Marksmans Eye, Fast Shot.
Farseer [ Takes guide and rolls for other spells on Runes of Fate]

Troops
20 Defender Guardians, 2 Shuriken Cannons, +Warlock [Conceal]
6 Jetbikes, 2x Shuriken Cannons, + JetLock, Singing Spear, [Rolls for spell]
3 Jetbikes, 1x Shuriken Cannon
5 Dire Avengers => Waveserpent, TL EML, Shuriken Cannon

Heavy
Falcon, BL, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields
Fire Prism
Wraithknight, Sun Cannon, Scatter Laser, Star Cannon

Fast Attack
Crimson Hunter Exarch, Marksmans Eye

Elite
8x Harlequins, Shadowseer, All have Kisses

2001 Points

Avatar advances with the guardians down the middle, hopefully absorbing firepower but staying alive. He also has Fast shot and Marksmans so that he can better destroy tanks , and also hopefully precision shot and instant death a character hidden in a unit.
Farseer sits in the Falcon and Casts his nasty spells on things nearby, if he has fortune id put him nearby the Avatar.

Wraithknight should also get a lot of attention so I think either the avatar or the wraithknight will go down but at least one will get to cause a heap of trouble.

Am debating taking an Autarch instead of a farseer to time the entry of my crimson hunter so it can get killing quicker, or come in the turn after their flyer does. Give him the Uldanorethi Longrifle and sit him somewhere comfortable (We play on cities of death boards in my house so could work well). But the farseer powers all have their uses, and guide is very useful!

Harlequins are there as utility, to prevent my wraithknight being bogged down, and just to take out a few enemy units after their transports have been bust open

Debating whether to include the farseer or not

Post your thoughts

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking of switching things about to include;

Autarch on jetbike, Laser Lance, Fusion Gun, Mantle of the Laughing God

I think this could be hilarious with 2+ re rollable cover saves with or without a turbo boost, can ride right up to a tank and almost guarantee busting it open. With either my avatar or Quins nearby to assault with the autarch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So he can pick out charactera with the wailing doom

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I'd advise scatter laser on the falcon as opposed to the shuriken cannon. Your Psyker Biker should always take the default power to get the 2+ cover turboe'd bikes.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
I don't think you quite need the Marksman Eye on the Avatar, his gun is 12 inches after all.

If you really need that 24 inch range for Guide thats fine, otherwise I would reccomend Presience as it allows you to re-roll to hit in CC> The avatar would really like that.

Give the Guardians a Bright Lance instead, you don't have much ranged AT.

Jetbikes are fine

Jetbikes are fine

The Wave Serpent might want a Bright Lance, instead of a EML, not only will it save you points but other than that 12 inches of range the EML is subpar now since the Lance is cheaper.

Falcon is fine

FIre Prism is fine, although you MIGHT want Holo-Fields

Wraithknight is fine EXCEPT, take off the Star Cannon. He can only fire two weapons a turn and should be using Laser Lock on the Scatter and then twin linking the blasts.

Harlies are fine, MIGHT want Fusion Pistols, but only if you have the points.

The Crimson Hunter doesn't really need the upgrade unless you are giving it Star Cannons. Thats a extra 30 points saved right there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback Ragewind and Creon.

Just to check: Heavy Weapons Platforms that have a heavy weapon eg Bright Lance, can move and shoot as if it were an assault weapon?
And you measure from the crew, not the gun itself. Meaning you could have the "Loader" and the "Firer" models anywhere in the unit to increase your firing range etc.

I will think about your advice and think of and post a new list soon.

Beastwoe

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
Basically yes to both of your points.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Ragewind and Creon.

Just to check: Heavy Weapons Platforms that have a heavy weapon eg Bright Lance, can move and shoot as if it were an assault weapon?
And you measure from the crew, not the gun itself. Meaning you could have the "Loader" and the "Firer" models anywhere in the unit to increase your firing range etc.

I will think about your advice and think of and post a new list soon.

Beastwoe
No, weapons platforms are strange now. There are no "firers" anymore. They are T:5 3+ save infantry "figures" with a heavy weapon. You fire from the platform now, and they do not have any special rules. If you move the platform, it can only snap shot, and it needs to be in coherency, will die if it's the "closest model" etc. Last game I had a situation where my Guardian squad was 1 Warlock 1 Weapons Platform after the marines got done with it.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
No, weapons platforms are strange now. There are no "firers" anymore. They are T:5 3+ save infantry "figures" with a heavy weapon. You fire from the platform now, and they do not have any special rules. If you move the platform, it can only snap shot, and it needs to be in coherency, will die if it's the "closest model" etc. Last game I had a situation where my Guardian squad was 1 Warlock 1 Weapons Platform after the marines got done with it.
Page 66

"A weapon mounted on a weapon platform and any model firing it have the relentless special rule"

"Any guardian within 2' may fire it"

You apparently measure from the platform for distance, but i guess determine LOS from the Guardian. Also its not clear if the platform has Battle Focus, so a Guardian unit may not be able to move/shoot/move

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okey now the list looks something like this

HQ
Autarch - Jetbike, Fusion Gun, Mantle of the Laughing God, Laser Lance

Troops
20 Defender Guardians, 2 Shuriken Cannons, +Warlock [Conceal]
6 Jetbikes, 2x Shuriken Cannons, + JetLock, Singing Spear, [conceal]
3 Jetbikes, 1x Shuriken Cannon
5 Dire Avengers => Waveserpent, TL BL, Shuriken Cannon

Heavy
Falcon, BL, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields
Fire Prism
Wraithknight, Sun Cannon, Scatter Laser

Fast Attack
Crimson Hunter Exarch,

Elite
8x Harlequins, Shadowseer, All have Kisses

I reckon the solo Autarch will operate exactly like the classic suicide firedragon squad BUT with the ability to get far away from the occupants so that he can live. OR assault whoever is inside. 2+ rerollable cover saves is going to give my army another hard to kill unit to worry about and for 155 pts.

Still want to keep the Crimson Hunter as an exarch, just to get that BS5 rather than BS4

What do we think?

Strengths of this list?
Weaknesses?

Beastwoe x

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The only comment I have for this is if the Harlies were x6, they'd fit in the Falcon as a transport.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
If i was going to upgrade to a crimson hunter exarc, its because i want to give the plane two star cannons, this would net me 6 shots for a squad vs 4. thats the only reason, the BS 5 is nice, but you can guide the plan if you really have problems hitting with a BS 4.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have a farseer anymore, have my ninja Autarch instead.

I think the bs5 is worth it, Probability wise as well it doesn matter how many shots i shoot it still improves my chances of hitting with whatever weapon i use.
Id only change it if i wanted to make it a troop killer... But my wraithknight has enough of that + Guardians etc.

Basically I like the BS5 because it makes the unit more reliable at it's job no?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay so this is the pretty much final list after some playtesting.

HQ
205 Avatar, Fast Shot
155 Autarch, Jetbike, Mantle, Fusion Gun, Bright Lance, Jetbike
[Still testing out this autarch set up, has been useful so far, but prone if i make a mistake is prone to being rofl stomped]

Troops.
110 10 Guardians, Bright Lance
110 10 Guardians, Bright Lance
172 6 Jetbikes, 2 Shuriken Cannons, Jetbike Warlock[conceal]
210 5 Dire Avengers --> Waveserpent, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holos

Fast Attack
95 5 Warp Spiders
95 5 Warp Spiders

Heavy
300 WraithKnight, suncannon, scatter laser
150 Falcon, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo fields
125 Prism

Reserves
180 Crimson Hunter Exarch (Takes star cannons) [Only doing this because my opposition has a flying MC that i need more str 6 shots for.]
61 3xJetbikes, shuriken Cannon

Used a 10 man squad of warpspiders and they were great! They get 5d6 movement a turn, and their shots count as str 7 against vehicles :D .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts