rhino w/ sb, xtra armor

10x Tac, pf & meltagun
rhino w/ sb

10x Tac, pf & meltagun
drop pod w/ sb

8x Scout, teleport homer, bp & ck, sgt. w/ pf

2x Predators w/ autolas

10x Devastator Squad, 2 lc & 2 pc

I like to play aggressive, though I could have a bit more restraint than i've shown in the past.

I don't have my codex in front of me so my points aren't completely sussed out, regardless, this is the list I'm working on and am looking to refine my idea before I spend too much on things (vanguards!) I know I won't use.

I like what you guys write, which is the only reason i'm posting my list.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You're going to need those vanguards if you don't want your Librarians to become skeet for enemy artillery.

Perhaps a locator beacon on that drop pod instead of a teleport homer in the scout squad, as locators can be used to guide in assault/vanguard, terminator, other drop pods and land speeders, should you opt to take them. Yes, a drop pod's only armor 12 on each side, but it should be the least of your worries. That said, it doesn't look like you're taking any more pods, terminators or taking any speeders right now, but I would definitely suggest dropping one of those librarians to get a full vanguard squad in, buffed up as much as you need it (Storm Shields cut down on deepstrike attrition from armor-piercing rounds, and power weapons, thunderhammers, meltabombs and relic blades make short work of nearly everything...)

But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
theres no reason on taking 2 librarians with jump packs if you have no jump infantry for them to run with.

id get rid of the dev squad, & replace it with a LRC/R & put 1 libby in termie armor in with them.

for the scouts im not sure what exactly your doing with them, therefore id suggest just giving them sniper rifles & a ML + camo cloaks.

personally id change the preds (i assume that they have the autocannon/lascannon sponsons combo) into a dakka pred (autocannon with heavy bolters) and a vindicator.

the other libby id put in a RAS instead of sternguard in the DP; id also just put both tact squads in rhinos.

the vindicator, RAS w/ Libby in DP & the LRC with assault termies all suit your aggressive style...always moving forward meanwhile the tact squads / scouts can claim Objs while your opponent is semi occupied with the stuff assaulting him. the dakka pred just sits where it can hit as much as possible basically being the only static thing in your army.

i know that i basically retooled your entire army, but this is how i would outfit it to be "aggressive"

on a side note i find that having meltas & PFs in each tact squad to be very redundant, change 1 or the other (i personally like the PW + melta bombs & flamer route if im not taking a melta gun)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Librarian w/ jumppack
Librarian w/ jumppack

5x Terminator w/ th(2), lc (3)

10x Sternguard w/ pf & 2x combi-melta
rhino w/ sb, xtra armor

10x Tac, pf & meltagun
rhino w/ sb

10x Tac, pf & meltagun
drop pod w/ sb

8x Scout, teleport homer, bp & ck, sgt. w/ pf

2x Predators w/ autolas

10x Devastator Squad, 2 lc & 2 pc

I like to play aggressive, though I could have a bit more restraint than i've shown in the past.

I don't have my codex in front of me so my points aren't completely sussed out, regardless, this is the list I'm working on and am looking to refine my idea before I spend too much on things (vanguards!) I know I won't use.

I like what you guys write, which is the only reason i'm posting my list.
No point in taking two librarians and I'm not sure what they are meant to be doing because you have no jump troops for them to go with...

Assault Terminators have no transport.

Two Rhinos isn't enough target saturation from mobile transports and a single Drop Pod is a bad idea because the squad inside comes down and is isolated.

How are the Scouts getting close to use that teleporter homer? Drop the number dwon in the squad get a Speeder transport for them and first turn turbo boost it and just keep it hidden and hope the Terminators come in.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You dont' have enough shooty for this list to be competetive, IMO. I think you're trying to cram too many diff units into the list w/o support. I would drop the termies and focus on more things that go pew-pew instead.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-Librarian (with sternguard)

-9x Sternguard w/ pf & 2x combi-melta
rhino w/ sb, xtra armor

-10x Tac, pf & meltagun
rhino w/ sb
-10x Tac, pw,mb & flamer
rhino w/ sb

-2x Typhoon w/ mm

-1 or 2x Vindicator or pred. ??(<--dakka he says?)??
-10x Devastator, 2 lc & 2 pc

I still have a chunk of points to play with here. Dakka Termies? More Tac and no Scout? Secondary Libby? The primary one is for supporting the Sternguard. I'm keen on using the devs, though i need to fill out my heavy support better. mas por favor?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
dakka is a slang term for shooty, if you havent guessed, dakka preds are 85pt heavy support tanks designed to destroy infantry / light armor (rhinos)

if your keen on keeping the devs run them with with 4 MLs & keep it a 5 man squad thats 150 points

itd be real helpful if you can write down the total points of each unit so that we know how much we can spend if we wanna sub out

for instance i would recommend a rifleman dread (a dreadnought with 2 twin-linked autocannons) since your prolly gonna fight a lot of other SM players due to their popularity

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you plan on running Sternguard Veterans i would recommend maybe running pedro kantor, gives you another scoring unit...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im generally opposed to characters but i do like pedro, he's the man. its ok to not follow the fluff?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Totally OK to not follow fluff... as long as it makes sense to you.... If you were running a narrative campaign and we were all gonna fight like they do in the books... then OK... but for a pickup game, the focus is typically to have fun while competing for objectives (KP, spots on the table, etc...) So if you want competetive, then I don't worry so much about fluff... besides, all this stuff comes on a battle barge right?

Here's another thought that focuses around Sternguard....

• 2 Full Tac squads in Lasbacks
  • 1 5 marine Tac squad in Lasback
  • 3 Auto Las predators
  • 3 Typhoons
  • 2 6 man sternguard with 2 melta and 2 combimelta (in rhinos)
  • Master of the Forge w/conversion beamer
  • Libby

• MoTF improves defenses so that your objective sitters get to do so in 3++ cover. Also conversion beamer is always fun... Put him with the objective sitters...
  • Libby pisses off eldar, space wolves, and nids by shutting down their psychic w/in 24" Might have him ride with the 5 man tac squad to amble towards objectives.
  • Other tac squads shoot the piss out of stuff in thier razorbacks... maybe for objective grabs. The combat squads find a piece of terrain with the MotF and be annoying all game long...
  • Land speeders shoot their Typhoons all game, unless you need to trash a LR or something with the MM... Vs horde armies, they can always drop templates....
  • Sternguard run amok and do sternguardy things... mostly break vehicles or shoot stuff with thier special ammo....
To bump up the Sterns, drop MoTF and you can add 5 more. Thoughts on Pedro, He's not cheap.. and you will already have 5 scoring units... Pedro seems excessive for the added capability he gives.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lib 100

5x stern w/ pf, combi, melta, lazorback 230

6x stern w/ pf, combi, melta, lazorback 255

6x stern w/ pf, combi, melta, lazorback 255

10x tac w/ flamer, mb, pw, rhino w/ sb 235

10x tac w/ melta, pf, rhino w/ sb 245

3x typhoon w/ mm 300

3x las predator 360 (ithink)

total; 1980

though i may be off a few points, it doesn't matter that much.

9 ranged threats and 4 scoring units. is that enough scoring units or do you think i'll be hard pressed?

·
Registered
344 Posts
you'll want to be able to shoot combi meltas out the top of a rhino so take them rather then razorbacks. Drop Pf's on squads you're not going to win combats with them and rarely will you actually kill a dreadnought or MC with them, take your chances with combat tactics. MM and typhoon is a silly combo, typhoons rely on managing ranges to avoid return fire so you'll rarely have something in Multi melta range, so drop all 3 of those. that and the 20 surplus points you had anyway gives us 165 points to work with.

a) drop libby buy pedro kantor and MM/HF Speeder, Why not make those sternguard scoring
b) Buy pedro bulk up sterguard add 1 guy to each squad.
c) add 2 MM/HF speeders and a sternguard
d) more scoring units, scouts though personally I'm against them or some Inquisitorial storm troopers should work out nicely.

All in all I like where this list is going and it has a few problems but overall I think it's looking really good.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
So normally I think Drizzt gives good advice... but I completely disagree about the typhoon loadout....

Adding a MM to a typhoon gives your role duality that you don't have with the HF/MM loadout. And it's only 10 points more. That seems pretty value added to me.... Its cheap and gives you more flexability in how you deploy. With the HF/MM you limit your effective range and it's only good for suicide melta or putting your AV10 vehicle into assault range to drop a flamer template... Compared to the typhoon where you get the suicide melta option, the 2 str 8 missiles or the 2 small blasts for horde if you run out of other things to shoot at.

At this point, the only thing I'd change is putting the sterns in Rhinos and combat squad your tacs into Razorbacks. If you have left over points for powerfists, then I'd spend them on tooling out the sterns.... Cause Drizzt's right about the lack of Codex Marine close combat win. I think our troops do best by shooting...

For the scoring units... You'll win objective games by solidly holding your own objective and contesting your opponents... So 4 will ought to do it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks so far you guys..

Lib 100

5x stern w/ pf, combi, melta, rhino w/ sb 210

6x stern w/ combi, melta, rhino w/ sb 210

6x stern w/ combi, melta, rhino w/ sb 210

10x tac w/ ml, flamer, pw, lazorback 270 (are my points correct for the ml and lazback?)

10x tac w/ ml, melta, pw, lazerback 275 ("^")

3x typhoon w/ mm 300

3x las predator 360 (points correct?)

total; 1935 i believe. is that correct?

hk's on the rhinos or razorbcks? i could find room for another librarian?

pf with sterns? i didn't get what you meant clt. I see the logic for not having them in the squads as I could just add a marine for the cost of a pf. The one I do have in the squad is because I already have one guy with a pf and i'm just going to use him anyway. Him and the libby in cc will be a bit of a good fight.

Some logic about which libby skills to choose please?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
For psychic powers it's hard to go wrong with Avenger and Null Zone... but really, you have the libby there for psychic defense....

For the PF, I would put it where you think you're most likely to get into CC... No worries...

For the extra points, I'd just add a bunch of HK Missiles... Adding 1 or 2 more stern won't have that much impact, but adding 5-6 HKs can really give you a first turn punch by increasing your likelyhood to wreck enemy armor

·
Registered
344 Posts
So normally I think Drizzt gives good advice... but I completely disagree about the typhoon loadout....

Adding a MM to a typhoon gives your role duality that you don't have with the HF/MM loadout. And it's only 10 points more. That seems pretty value added to me.... Its cheap and gives you more flexability in how you deploy. With the HF/MM you limit your effective range and it's only good for suicide melta or putting your AV10 vehicle into assault range to drop a flamer template... Compared to the typhoon where you get the suicide melta option, the 2 str 8 missiles or the 2 small blasts for horde if you run out of other things to shoot at.
First of all I would rarely propose to have just typhoons in a list you generally want something to suicide melta with and few things fill that role better then the good old MM/HF speeder. I agree having Multimeltas on speeders is a good thing it's just that i would prefer to keep the roles of suicide melta and backfield firepower separate.

Yes if you take the MM you have the option of using your land speeder to suicide melta with or sit back and blast away, unfortunately you kind of have to decide this at the begging of the game. Typhoons will want to hug the back edge and maintain maximum distance from the backfield long range firepower your opponent has while MM/HF's will want to rush those units and rely on cover and an early turn overload of light mech to survive fire. In addition they can deepstrike if you know your opponent has way too much firepower and will just blast them away. The point is it is not easy to transition between the two speeder roles as they require you to be in opposite areas of the field, so even though you may think you have duality you can really only be one or the other the only advantage is you get to choose which at the begging of the game as opposed to being both.

It is possible you will end up using that multi melta to take out midfield targets however usually you have enough melta units in your own list to handle midfield it's getting them into the backfield where we have issues and that's what MM/HF's are for. You can use your typhoon as a MM/HF but then your suiciding a 100 point model as opposed to a 60-70 point model.

In addition i am generally unconcerned with MM/HF's being assaulted, they should be in your opponents backfield, so if they're getting assaulted that means your opponents assault troops are in their backfield which means your doing well. Otherwise they're being assaulted by troops not meant for assault (otherwise they wouldn't be in the backfield) and with a 6+ to hit they might live through it. regardless of whether or not they survive your opponent is now clustered up perfectly for templates and wasted a turn assaulting a 70 point vehicle.

In summary they don't really provide duality because the optimal locations for the two weapons are in different parts of the battlefield and so you will struggle trying to fill the role of both with just one as you cans till only fill one role.

P.S. someone needs to invent a cool name for the MM/HF build typing typhoon is really fun but MM/HF is just a little awkward.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I thought they called those tornados... as in not quite as awesome as a typhoon :)

I get what you're saying and it makes sense... I just don't mind giving up the 30 extra points to suicide em I guess...

Also, I think we may play them differently. I tend to keep them with the rest of the fellas but behind a razorback for cover... that way I can jump them out when I need to melta something.... and I can normally get 3 shots off each turn... If I was gonna keep them at the table edges, I would prob drop the MM... But I don't so I totally get your logic now.... I normally use the preds for the more long range (cornering) work since thier AV 13 makes them not such an easy target - but hiding a typhoon behind them would be pretty sweet too...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aww you guys work through your issues so well. i can see that you two are gonna last together! :D Jus KIDDING!

Anyway....

How would you trick out your pred anyway? auto cannon and sponson laz?
and.. would you equally sub out a pred squad for a vindi squad? Think vindicators are over played?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Auto las every time....

Personally, I think you need to build a list around vindis to make them really workable.. '

For example, here's my 2k vindi list....

3 vindis
3 typhoons
3 rifleman dreads
4 TL las razorbacks split between 2 full strength tac squads and a 2 5 man tac squads
1 Libby....

Still have ten LR threats... but I don't try to mix in sternguard, vanguard vets, a command squad or any of that... Just maximize firepower around the desired new thing (vindis)

As a matter of fact, I've been having a blast playing this list... But regardless of the fun, vindis aren't a fair tradeoff for the Predator - the pred has a 48" threat range and 3 weapons vs. the Vindi's 24" and one weapon.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
seems to me that they aren't all they're hyped up to be, but it also seems that people play them very often as well. i nver have but, do have that desire to field the thump gun of a tank that it is. it has an intimidation of more than 10 if you ask me. friggin thing should strike fear as a rule, pinning would make sense. definately compared to the predator's payload there is no question.

THANKS FOR HELPING ME WITH MY LIST EVERYONE!

PROST! CHEERS! SALUT!! OI! OI! OI!!!! I'm psyched.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts