Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 8th Edition's release around the corner, and rulebook in hand, I've set about adjusting my 2000-point army. The most decided change is that the Chaos Knights and unit of Chosen have disappeared in favor of larger units of Warriors, and a rank has been added to the Marauders.

Before any commentary is made-- this army is strictly an army of Khorne-- no items related to other gods, or units which are not decidedly Khornate are coming along, whether it's tactically better or not. With that in mind though, I'd like to know what you all think.

LORD/345
Paulo the Slaughterman, The Red Son
-Chaos Lord of Khorne on a juggernaut. Sword of Swift Striking, Talisman of Preservation.

HERO/178
Kruger the Aesling, Herald of the Red Son
-Exalted Hero of Khorne. Battle Standard Bearer. Fury of the Blood God; Great Weapon.

HERO/165
Sigurd Vos, Champion of Khorne
-Exalted Hero. Shield, Collar of Khorne, Berserker Sword (Common item, not item of same name from Warriors of Chaos.)

CORE/321
The Blood Pact
-16 Warriors of Chaos. Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Command. Banner of Rage. [The Chaos Lord leads this unit, hence its odd number. The Juggernaut displaces four models.]
This unit is actually the one I'm most curious about as far as what you all think. I like the idea of the Lord having the 1+ armor and 4+ ward, but I'm not sure if mathematically, he's worth it. It might just be better to put him on foot , with an Enchanted Shield, and spend the difference in points making this unit 19-strong. Thoughts?

CORE/375
The Rampagers
-19 Warriors of Khorne. Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Command, War Banner [Lead by the Exalted Hero]

CORE/345
The Butchers of Abelheim
-19 Warriors of Khorne. Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Command. [Lead by the Battle Standard Bearer.]

CORE/129
Men of the North
-25 Marauders. Flails. Musician.

CORE/30
5 Warhounds

CORE/30
5 Warhounds

RARE/75
Bloodbeast of Khorne
-Chaos Spawn. Mark of Khorne.

I also considered leaving my units at 15-strong as they currently are. If I do that, I would add another Hero with the Mark of Khorne, give him a hand weapon, shield, and Obsidian Pendant, and add another unit of 14 Warriors for him to lead. I'd need to drop the Spawn and the Warhounds to make that fit, but that might be a better use of the points.

·
Registered
478 Posts
juggernautical...

Yikes.

That is a rough army. All those hard hitting, well armored warriors are going to tear through things, esp now with the rank rules. It's nice to see some more foot slogging armies and very cool to see how you can fill it out with the absence of the pricier knights.
Warriors of Chaos will certainly clean up with the new rules. A core unit that that hits as hard , if not harder, than many army's specials.

Honestly, I'd ditch the spawns and some of the hounds to get those additional warriors. it seems more the flavor of the army. How much screening can those hounds really do? The would probably die too fast vs the resilience of the Warrior blocks. unless their designed to engage the enemy and hold them for flanking and charges by WoCs. Even if the enemy gets ranged off on you, there's too many targets. Any of these units would wreak havoc.

I really digg the marauders w/ flails. That many in ranks will just hurt, and for a bargain price

Great list!

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's the sort of list I tried to make with the old Chaos book (albeit more undivided with a hint of nurgle). I could never get it to work in the end, it never had any hitting power.

I'd also second getting the additional warriors, that way if you take some casualties you'll still hopefully hit him with at least one 4x5 unit of bloody death. That's really horrendous. Warhounds I've never found much of a use for, and given cavalry are taking a hit in 8th edition, Warhounds will be even more useless; same goes for the spawn (though if you're a bit of a fluff fiend you could leave it there "to serve as a warning to your other characters not to fail the Blood God." Leaving it probably won't damage your list too much given it's already pretty lethal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i would recomend having the lord on foot :) never liked mounted lords myself and spend the extra points on more warriors, in the case of hounds its realy up to you, if against your regular oponents you see potential then take them :D otherwise perhaps drop them for more warriors???? in the case of the spawn, i woudl recomend dropping him for scyla :) a much better spawn who can challenge, roll on the eye of the gods and now has a 3+ ward against magic :D i have used him to great affect :) he can also hold up blocks on infantry to great sucess :) and he's what only 30pts more than your current spawn? one unit of warhounds and you have him :) hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would consider getting a Chariots instead of the Spawn and the puppies, and if you manage to get an extra 15 points then you can give him a Mark of Khorne so he'd fit in. :) The reason why I'm vouching for Chariots is that they're badass for their point value and they are no longer sensitive to higher strength attacks (at least when I triple-double-checked the Chariot section it had nothing to say about it). Or a Warshrine because its a Monster, and not just technically, especially if given a MoT or MoK, turning it either into a tank or a killing machine, respectively (though I'm not sure if Thunderstomp gets the +1A from Frenzy, but its enough asskickery already). Not to mention that when your Warrior Champions start rolling on the Eye of the Gods things can turn pretty ugly, gods willing. I'm not sure about the Great Weapon on Kruger, but I'm sure you have your reasons. Like the model wielding a badass great sword or axe. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts