Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly a Necron player here but I'm getting really tired of waiting for the new codex and I'm looking to pick up a second army. If money is no object, what would you recommend for a starter list? I'd like something that is the opposite of the Necron Destroyer strategy.. So probably a CC rush kind of army.. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, you've got a lot of options. SW can do all sorts of different armies and they are all potentially viable.

If you wanna go CC, you can do plenty of things. I like the cavalry army, using Thunderwolf Cav, Wolf Lords, Fenrisian Wolves and the like to make a fast moving and hard hitting army. Take some foot GH to follow up on objectives and some Long Fangs to pop/suppress armor and you're set.

You can also do a more traditional mechanized assault force with GH/WG in Rhinos, maybe Land Raiders, and the usual support elements (Dreads, Speeders, Long Fangs).

You can try Podding, though it tends to be a bit one dimensional.

You can also do a hybrid, mixing the good bits of mech (mobile melta in METAHL BAWKSES) and cavalry (fast and stompy units that can't be slowed down by 1 bad roll). Roll up GH w/ melta to pop armor then pounce with TWC.

My favorite SW army build is the Loganwing. Logan Grimnar makes Wolf Guard troops, and Wolf Guard unit can pack cyclone missile launchers very cheaply. It's an army based on elite troops sporting mobile firepower and HtH killyness with support coming from Long Fangs (more cheap missiles) and TWC (fast moving killy mop up).

·
Registered
155 Posts
My two favorites ar the thunder wolf cavalry list and the shooty mech list.

im not a fan of logan wing, imo cyclone termies are too expensive.
63 points for a termi with cyclone missiles
or
65 points for 3 fangs with 2 missiles who can shoot in two directions.
you dont have a inv or 2+ armour or power weapon though so i guess it's even.
i just don't like it that much.

but i love using the razor backs with lasscannons and twin linked plasma.
i usually use 5 vanilla marines with em but lately i've been getting them a plasma gun for the extra shoot (or 2) at S7 AP2.

that with rune priests living lightning and fangs with missiles. you pop the transports and shoot down the big bad guys then eat up the infantry before they get a chance to get into assaults. the closer they get the harder you hit them.

then the cavalry lists with twc and fenrisain wolves getting out there fast for the assaults. i use wolf lords. and with saga of the wulfkin your fenrisain wolves get I5 and LD7. so they can hit first. i love saga of the warrior born though, letting you get ultra killy with the infantry.

some people like grey hunter rush which i've been leaning away from. it works but i'm in my thunder wolf phase lol.

so i would suggest thunder wolf cavalry.
wolf lord with thunder wolf mount
grey hunters in rhinos for cover and fangs for opening cans.
and a rune priest for more shooty and a psy sheild.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The cyclone terminator can move and fire and with Logan it's Troops. 135 points gets me 5 WG, one of which is a cyclone. Dirt cheap for a mobile and shooting scoring unit. 10 with Logan in tow reaps great benefits from Tank Hunters.

Best part? Since WG units are so cheap, I can fit in Fangs and TWC too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The cyclone terminator can move and fire and with Logan it's Troops. 135 points gets me 5 WG, one of which is a cyclone. Dirt cheap for a mobile and shooting scoring unit. 10 with Logan in tow reaps great benefits from Tank Hunters.

Best part? Since WG units are so cheap, I can fit in Fangs and TWC too.
true true, if fangs are full i would go cyclone on speeders before WG though. idk, personal preference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
AV10 skimmer vs 4 marines and a Terminator that are scoring Troops?

Weird preference.
4 WG, 1 termi w/ cyclone missiles =135
speeder with mm and hf 70 or typhoon 90
and i dont have to buy logan grimnar.
so i spent 90 and you spent 410.
theres a 3rd of your army.
i can go 24" in one turn, you might get 12" if you run or assault.
i don't enjoy foot slogging termys.

if you like it, then you like it. i dont. thus, hur dur "personal preference" :crazy:

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you want to be cute, you need to field an HQ and 2 Troops too.

It all depends on the army, can't just analyze stuff in a vacuum. Typhoons would work better in a Razorspam or mech list, while WG obviously work best in a Loganwing.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
If you want to be cute, you need to field an HQ and 2 Troops too.

It all depends on the army, can't just analyze stuff in a vacuum. Typhoons would work better in a Razorspam or mech list, while WG obviously work best in a Loganwing.
A true loganwing isn't somthing for a beginner to start of with though, it tends to be tricky to pull off and wield correctly.

To the OP, my suggestion would be to start off at a smaller point cost and work it up. However, you should remember 3-4 troop units with PF CM WG, TWC for CC punch, Rune Priests for HQ, and LF for armor be gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts