Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Skarry Night

Screwing around with army builds is fun.

Skarbrand has the potential to be a very potent force multiplier. However, his re-rolls go both ways so you have to kill before you can be killed. Slaanesh units seems to fit in with him best, oddly enough.

HQ
Skarbrand
Fateweaver

Elites
3x 6 Fiends, 1w/ Unholy Might

Troops
4x 5 PBs

Fast Attack
11 Seekers
2x 10 Seekers

Total - 2000

So, the army basically focuses on Skarbrand buffing the already killy Fiends and Seekers to crazy awesome levels. Really, the army isn't that reliant on him to be good, it's got the mobility and weight of rending attacks to do fine, but he helps loads.

Fateweaver acts as a red herring. People see him and he becomes target #1. Since Skarbrand is the only MC here he needs protection too. With Fatey in tow everything gets a lot tougher, which helps with Skarbrand's weakness: making the enemy better at killing you.

So, the game plan is simple. Drop Fatey and Skarry together with whatever assortment of rending nasties they may need and go to town.

Thoughts?

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Well I can tell you how I use my 1500pt skarbrand-slaaneshi list: its effectively a mono-slaanesh (skarbrand is a converted, rabid KoS with a snake like tail) list with skarbrand, fiends as above, 3*10 daemonettes (1 icon, 3 gaze) and a grinder although it isnt the ideal (I wanted a unit of seekers but just cant do the models until august).
My first wave has the fiends and the icon, while the other troops and the heavy hitters stay in reserve. Turn 2 I DS whatever I've got on the icon (unless it shattered too far and couldnt run back to a decent position) and then race the rest forward then turn 3 I hope everything hits the enemy and that skarbrand has appeared (if things hit turn 2 thats fine but not really the idea). Skarbrand has only got into combat once so far with this list (its so evil I havent used it too much) since all I want him to do is stand there and laugh.
So far Ive faced combat SM armies (which is a joke- there really isnt a point in rolling the dice, they have simply no chance) and a hellish ork nob army (Gaz+9MAN in a battlewagon and warboss+nob bikerz.. that was it) which had anhiliated everyone it met until it faced my slaanesh: Gaz was a little unlucky to roll 4 1s out of 22 saves from fiends (waargh'd to get round the rending) but 20 daemonettes, 12 fiends and a grinder hit the bikerz as one... that was game over.

I only put in the grinder into my list to fill up points that seekers were meant to take, but have found that the phlegm attack is actually well worth its presence- as long as your initiative stays higher then the enemy then you have a pretty free ride with this army, but play something like combat eldar (yeah right) or the more likely tyranids and you may well be in some serious trouble... so if I made this army up to 2k I would probably add 2 more grinders just to blatter anything like genestealers that come my way.

As for your list, I would change a couple of things. I dont think fateweaver has any point at all being there- its a nice bullett magnet but its far far too costly and if you play some good players they'll see through it and just shoot the fiends since it'll be hard to get them within weaver's 6" bubble without risking mishap and even if they are its still only slaanesh so a 5+ with a reroll is still not great.
Im not a fan of the multiple units of seekers, or of having quite so may units of PBs... I would drop a unit of each and try to push in 2 units of 10 daemonettes. That'll make you a little slower but losing 6" off 1 unit but having a whole nother unit of 10 should make up for it, plus it gives you the bonus of having scoring units amoungst the enemy, which while it isnt needed to really win the game would give you the opportunity to grab some more convincing wins (if you dont just anhiliate everyone). The reduction in PBs really shouldnt be important, since if people are shooting at them then the slaaneshi side is going to hit them unmolested anyway.. and no-one can survive that.
- and I really would drop skar in your 2nd wave if possible. As you said he isnt really needed, and its pretty likely he'll be on the board turn 2/3, either in perfect timing for the first assaults or giving you a massive power boost mid-game (rather then possibly DS'ing turn 1 and then getting killed).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting thoughts, thanks.

Grinders with phlegm would be an interesting idea to force my opponent to bunker down. If they stay in cover for fear of the S8 AP3, then the Seekers can still rush in and munch on them.

I prefer Seekers to Daemonettes, they're considerably better for only 3 more points. PBs I can drop on to any objective and they should be able to hang on, especially with 6 cav units running around looking for faces to munch on.

Fateweaver was more of an afterthought and really more of a bullet catcher than anything else. Instead of him I could field a pair of Grinders (still worried about meltas, especially at 2k) or Slaanesh DPs for more smashy goodness and Pavane.

Must test.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
My grinders haven't really found anyone who can deal with them yet... but then I use them so rarely (and almost never use all 3 in a friendly army) that few have any idea what they do or how to counter them... it helps that most people near me prefer fewer, strong units over small suicide meltas, which is exactly how I liked to use my old SW. Large units with lots of melta might well easily destroy a grinder but then that unit is left in the open surrounded by hungry daemons.

Ive started going to a new club (and another should be starting up, though mostly the same old people) so I might be forced back into evil ways but for now I keep taking sub-par lists on purpose and still winning... probably why Im beginning to concentrate more and more on WFB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts