Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what I'm trying with this, but I had a restless night's sleep, and came up with it around 3am.... I know very little about Daemons, so please, critique away!

Primary Detachment: Chaos Daemons

Be'Lakor, the Dark Master

Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne

Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne

Bloodcrushers of Khorne
x4+1, Bloodhunter, Greater Reward, Banner of Blood, Instrument

Bloodletters of Khorne
x15+1, Bloodreaper, Lesser Reward, Banner of Blood, Instrument

Bloodletters of Khorne
x15+1, Bloodreaper, Lesser Reward, Banner of Blood, Instrument

Soulgrinder
Daemon of Tzeentch, Warp Gaze

Soulgrinder
Daemon of Tzeentch, Warp Gaze

Formation: Mayhem Pack

Helbrute
Power Fist, Flamer, Multi-Melta

Helbrute

Helbrute

Total: 1995 pts

So... would it work? Was trying for a demon/mechanized hybrid army.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I don't know the Mayhem Pack, but if two units of bloodletters are you only troops, you stand a really good chance of losing most objective based scenarios. And likely the Grinders need Phlegm.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Mayhem Pack gives all 3 Helbrutes IWND, Crazed (every turn), and Deep Strike. You make one reserve roll, and deep strike all three Helbrutes based on that roll.

I could switch the Grinders to Phlegm... as I said, just kind of messing around with it. My first design actually gave up Crushers and had 4 squads of 'letters instead, with no points for upgrades.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with Creon; you need more troops or at least more durable ones like Plaguebearers to sit on objectives. Besides that I really like your list, I'm a big fan of Daemon engines myself and that formation certainly is something I'm going to look into.

On a side note; perhaps Screamers are an idea? When turned invisible by Be'Lakor and when moving flat out they get a 2+ re-rollable cover save which turns them into an ideal bullet magnet while moving down troops in the progress.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
A few quibbles. Rules-wise, I'm quite under-impressed by the Throne of Blood and the Bloodcrushers. I would muuuch rather take 3x as many Flesh Hounds as Bloodcrushers and end up with far more T4, multi-wound models--twice as many wounds added up, just about, with the same save, who are less vulnerable to Instant Death. Yeah, they don't get AP3, but that's why you throw the Heralds on Juggernauts and have them in the squad kicking ass. (also remember that you probably want to give the Heralds a Greater Reward to turn into a Greater Etherblade)

Of course, that really doesn't mesh with your "Warpsteel" theme. If I were going for Warpsteel, I'd ally in a Warpsmith, Heldrake, and some Oblits/a Forgefiend, or something.

I'd rather grab the Soul Grinder DoN than DoT for the chance to sit in a ruin with a 2+ cover save.

I don't know the rules about using formations alongside allied armies, so I'll take your word for it that, Battle Brothers that they are, the Helbrutes can be taken legally. They are not Daemons, though, so (though I'd have to check the wording in an inaccessible codex) I suspect that the Banners of Blood wouldn't reduce scatter for them.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Formations are an additional detachment, just like Inquisition. They count as the same matrix as the host army, so they're Blood Brothers to Daemons. They do NOT get the Daemon rule, sadly, so the Icons don't help at all, instead they just exist to show up, make a mess before they get obliterated. They're the crazy robot version of some termicide squads.

While the rules don't completely support it, I think the best allied version would be a Warpsmith, Heldrake, Forgefiend, and use Crimson Slaughter so that at least my troops were Possessed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts