Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why? Because. I wanted to find something I could use a) Be'Lakor, and b) Warp Talons. And without Khorne.

2000 points

Primary CAD: Crimson Slaughter

Be'Lakor the Dark Master (Warlord)

Possessed x7
-Icon

Possessed x7
-Icon

Possessed x7
-Icon

Warp Talons x7
-MoTz

Warp Talons x7
-MoTz

Heldrake
-Baleflamer

Helbrute Mayhem Pack

Helbrute
-TH & MultiMelta

Helbrute
-TH & MultiMelta

Helbrute
-TH & MultiMelta

-1992 poitns

That's it. Fairly simple. I considered using Reapers over MM on the Helbrutes, but I have no anti-tank. Granted I have almost no guns at all. I can't remember what the Icons did, but I was pretty sure they acted like Homers, which is why they're in, to try and control the Warp Talons if I can't find safe landing places.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Unbound? Well, I guess with Be'lakor you don't need to reroll a warlord trait since he has his fancy fear thingy. And it's not like, say, 2 squads of ObSec cultists are going to swing you much...

I feel like that is kind of relatively few T4 3+ minis, for all that they have an invuln, for 2k points. Still, like you say, it's not here to be competitive, but rather a themed elite force.

Not too much in terms of AP2 or AA--or even AT, apart from Be'lakor and the Mayhem Pack, though that's borderline possibly enough.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's a small number of slow fragile melee units and bad walkers with short-range guns. I don't understand the game plan other than plod forward slowly and die horribly.

I guess Be'lakor's a pretty good dude?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's actually bound, as Be'Lakor can be the HQ for Crimson Slaughter, which allows Possessed to be troops. Plus everyone offers fear, which feeds Be'L's fancy warlord trait.

The talons can deep strike in, and for some reason I thought the mayhems could also, but I'm doing this using my coleslaw that I call memory.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
It's actually bound, as Be'Lakor can be the HQ for Crimson Slaughter, which allows Possessed to be troops.
Ah, right. Totally forgot. Shows how often I play Possessed... :p

and for some reason I thought the mayhems could also,
Yeah, the Mayhems have to. Come in all three on one reserve roll, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, right. Totally forgot. Shows how often I play Possessed... :p

Yeah, the Mayhems have to. Come in all three on one reserve roll, IIRC.

So it's not TERRIBLE. Just not great.

It was just for fun, mostly. To see what could happen. There's almost no guns, and it's mostly just 'oh god demonic MEQ biting my face!'

·
Registered
268 Posts
You've a perfect opportunity with all those Crimson Slaughter Possessed to do some daemon summoning!

Prophet of the Voices: level 3, spell familiar - 155

It'll be fun and might help your fragility to summon some free bodies. It would also add more charge that Be'Lakor could put to good use.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to update this army a little bit.

Crimson Slaughter CAD

Be'lakor the Dark Master

Possessed x8, MoS
Possessed x8, MoS

Khorne Daemonkin Bloodstorm Formation

Helldrake - Baleflamer

Raptors x7+1, Power Axe, Meltabombs, x2 Meltaguns
Raptors x7+1, Power Axe, Meltabombs, x2 Meltaguns

Warptalons x8

Mayhem Pack Formation

Helbrute - Reaper, TH
Helbrute - Reaper, TH
Helbrute - Reaper, TH

2000 points

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I can't help but feel of any unit, Warp Talons would benefit from an HQ of some sort with AP weaponry and anti-tank (power fist, meltabombs, what have you)--would increase them from a niche unit to a solid pain-dealer.

Still, finding points for that HQ in a still kinda-squishy squad is the thing...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't help but feel of any unit, Warp Talons would benefit from an HQ of some sort with AP weaponry and anti-tank (power fist, meltabombs, what have you)--would increase them from a niche unit to a solid pain-dealer.

Still, finding points for that HQ in a still kinda-squishy squad is the thing...
You mean like adding a Fisticlaw Lord w/ jetpack, or something like that?

I could do it easily enough if I gave up the Mayhem pack, but I liked the idea of dropping a trio of Brutes on my 'friends'.

I also don't NEED to use the Bloodstorm, but a Str8 Vector Strike and Str 5 HoW sounds like a lot of fun. I could make all of the squads smaller to get the extra HQ in, but....

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Resurrecting this thread because I'd like some advice.

I really would like to try and put this together, but I've been thinking about @mossytoes suggestion, of getting someone in the Warp Talon squad to assist.

A Khornate Lord with a Fisticlaw, 4++, Jetpack, and MoK costs 170 points... the EXACT same cost as the Heldrake. Not that I'd really want to give up the Heldrake.

Thoughts? Can anyone think of something else to ditch instead? or should I just not worry about the Lord, and let the Talons be supported by Be'L?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's still an AP3 torrent flamer, and in the formation, it gets S8 Meteoric Strike. In a list with very little ranged options, I thought the Heldrake would help clear a lot of trash out of the way.

Honestly, if I don't run the Heldrake, I could drop the formation altogether, gaining a little more freedom to not use MoK if I don't want, but losing S5 HoW.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep, STILL working on this list. New version, like more opinions.

Crimson Slaughter Combine Arms Detachment (Primary Detachment)

Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (Warlord)

Chaos Lord - MoK, Jump Pack, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption, Melta Bombs

Possessed x7, MoS
Possessed x7, MoS
Possessed x7, MoS

Khorne's Bloodstorm Formation (KDK)

Raptors x6, 2 Meltaguns
Raptors x6, 2 Meltaguns

Warp Talons x7 (Lord joins this unit)

Mayhem Pack Formation (CSM)

Helbrute - Power Fist, Heavy Flamer, MultiMelta

2000/2000

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Taking the Bloodstorm but not fitting in a Heldrake Vector Striking at S8? I mean, that's the most reliable anti-air you can get in a CSM army without going to Forge World, so...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking the Bloodstorm but not fitting in a Heldrake Vector Striking at S8? I mean, that's the most reliable anti-air you can get in a CSM army without going to Forge World, so...
I love the Heldrake, but as you had pointed out, the Chaos Lord was almost needed to add some punch (no pun intended with the power fist) to the Warp Talon squad. the points on the Lord and the Heldrake are close, but not exactly the same, so it throws the balance off everything, which annoys me to no end.

What I would do for the Heldrake would be to drop the lord, and probably the Heavy Flamer on one Helbrute down to a Combi. That would give me what I need for the drake.

Thoughts? And would you run it as the reaper for anti-air, and not the baleflamer?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Thoughts? And would you run it as the reaper for anti-air, and not the baleflamer?
The problem with running the HAC is then it does one job poorly at AP4 and BS3, rather than torching MEq extremely well--for the exact same points cost. Plus, well, if you're Vector Striking a target you're not going to be in the firing arc for the weapon. There are more efficient ways to spend points on AA than on the Helturkey--a Hellblade, for instance.

That's the question, though--add more AP3 or give the Warp Talons some AP2? I might honestly go for the Drake, just since it adds a whole new (pretty durable flyer) unit for enemies to target rather than just basically +3 wounds to the Talons for the same cost.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the Heldrake variant to the same list.

Crimson Slaughter Combine Arms Detachment (Primary Detachment)

Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (Warlord)

Possessed x7, MoS
Possessed x7, MoS
Possessed x7, MoS

Khorne's Bloodstorm Formation (KDK)

Heldrake, Baleflamer

Raptors x6, 2 Meltaguns, MeltaBomb
Raptors x6, 2 Meltaguns, MeltaBomb

Warp Talons x6

Mayhem Pack Formation (CSM)

1986/2000

I lose one Warp Talon, and the Lord, and gain the Heldrake. I have 14 points left over which is driving me bonkers, but there's nothing to spend it on. I can take MeltaBombs OR Chain Axes for the Raptor Champs, but that's really the only options without trimming other things. It's a pity that I can't take Mutations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts