Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I would either go shooting heavy or assault heavy... this feels like it's trying to do both and as a result won't do either very well.

Three Rhino chassis on the board *should* get popped turn 1. The Furioso can't assault the turn he drops and then he's only got the blood talons... which are cool, but not much good vs mech. So he'll get popped turn 2. You just don't have anything to shut down your enemy's guns.

Astoroth, Seth, and Corbulo are too much points in characters...

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but here's an example I put up a while back of a semi-mech BA list - It's 2K, but you could drop a Razorback squad for 1850 and still have a good list...

• Libby - Jump Pack
    -Assault Squad - 2 Meltas, sgt has Twin LC
  • Sanguinary Priest - PW + Melta Pistol
    -Assault Squad - 2 Meltas, sgt has Thunderhammer
  • 4x Razorback Assault Squads - TL Las
  • 3x Rifleman Dreads
  • 3x Speeders (Typhoon + Multi Melta)

My thoughts were, since it was a fun list, to put in the bare minimum ammt of firepower support and then run a couple of squads of jumpers. That's why you have 4 Razorbacks, 3 Riflemen, and 3 Typhoons... so I have 10 ranged threats every turn... which will keep me in the fight vs mech armies, and should help to drop the Nid big bugs... The Libby and Priest squads are there for Decent of Angels fun....

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Good Point by DarkReever... so what makes this list "fluffy" -- what are you committed to running. You can pretty much always make room for the things you want and still have a solid list.

So what are your "must haves"?

Alright, lets see what can be suggested to give you idea's for this list without trying to push a complete and utter rebuild of something boring and/or unfluffy for what your aiming for.
Also, please forgive if I gave the impression I was saying "run this" in my post above... it was meant as an example of how you could get a LOT more firepower into the list... as your list currently stands, I don't think it's workable as a competative build because you don't have the elements that will make it effective.

@Reever - optimizing units within a weak overall structure does not lead to a list that works. Good point about keeping it fluffy, but I don't think your critique (while spot on) will fix the overall issues with the list.

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Got it... Couple of different thoughts about direction... Since the intent is to be "in thier face" then I think you can go one of a few different routes...

If you're taking Rhinos, then it's turn 1 - move flat out and pop smoke... Right now you need more rhinos to make this really work. Any opponent with a sense of self preservation will make that DC rhino a target early on. So I would advise that you make sure to take a bunch of rhinos... it's not as effective as MSU because your Rhino squad costs more, but it can be done...

If the intent is to go "black templar" then for your backfield, I think it makes sense to take more troop oriented stuff (tacs with ranged weapons / devs / etc) The idea here is to make it so that all my high strength shooting is wasted cause you just flood me with troops.... and your troops with the goods stuff are too well dug in to really focus on.... Taken to the extreme this might look like Seth + 6 full rhinos + extra points in Dev squad... The big downside here is that if you don't go first, then you better hope for lots of terrain on the board... cause you'll be footsloggin with some of them... but once you get there... you pack a hell of a punch.

Another option is to go uber shooty or shooty hybrid (above example)... ie, I overwhelm my opponent with my ability to smite them with High Strength / Low AP... but that dosen't really fit with your theme...

Another option is to go all Drop/Jumper - which your Blood Angels can do well with DoA....

Now each of the above can lead to extreme builds. .. but I think you should build to your strengths and how you want your army to play....

In your list above, you don't have enough jumpers to swarm me (which allows my tacs to get out of thier broken vehicles after you melta them and focus fire on your lone jumpers) And you don't have enough of a rhino rush to make it so my guns can't stop them all...

I think you could make it competative by getting rid of the honor guard, Corbulo, and going with a ML on your tac squad instead of the Las (being points stingy) That frees up about 525 to put in other stuff...

So yoru core list looks like - the two HQs, the drop pod surprise, the DC in a Rhino, the Las Plas, Tacs in a combat squad to objective sit, and the Jumper squad. With the remaining 500-ish points I'd go one of two ways 1. More Rhinos or 2. More jumpers... but I wouldn't go 50/50 cause you need to overwhelm me somewhere. Either way is fine...

You'd be looking at:
3 Rhinos and a Razorback + Astoroth Mini Deathstar
1 Rhino and a Razorback + Astoroth Deathstar + 20 more jumpy marines.

@ Reever - nope the "must haves" were directed towards the OP... but if somebody posts to the board asking for advice, then I think it's only right to think about the list on the whole... if they build in challenges to thier list, then that's one thing... but if we're talking about "fluffy yet competative" then I think it makes sense to talk about the fluffy elements and then how to build competative around it (which was my failure in my initial post)... But I get what you're saying, I would just add that you should point out the weaknesses as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.