Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drakwald State Army from Drakenheim

The idea of this army is to punish from a distance before finishing off the remaining opposition up close and personal like alot of empire armies, i've never used a runefang before since i prefer him to be protected (+1 save with +4 ward save usually) but if you've used one before can you give me some feedback on it. Also include the new helstorm rocket battery as i don't know how good they are. I also can't decide whether i should put my battle standard bear in the greatswords with the elector count or in a unit of swordsmen.

Other than that i would appreciate your views :)

Elector Count
Full Plate Armour
Shield
Runefang

Captain
Battle Standard Bearer
Armour of Meteroric Iron

Wizard
level 2
Dispel Scroll

Wizard
level 2
x2 Dispel Scrolls

30 Swordsmen- Detachments- 15 Halberdiers- 75, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command

30 Swordsmen- Detachments- 10 Handgunners- 80, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command

20 Greatswords- Detachments- 10 Halberdiers- 50, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command
Banner of Valor

Great Cannon- 100

Great Cannon- 100

Helstorm Rocket Battery- 115

Total- 2000

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
very nice solid looking army. maybe a few knights would be cool to bring the fight to the enemy, but the way the army is configured as strong shooting with blocks of intantry in support i can see why no knights.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hmm, not sure about Handgunner detachments.

Static detachments breed static parent units, breeds boring game play.

I'd make the Handgunners independent units so you have more deployments and can deploy away from the Regiment blocks.

Maybe drop a 10xman Handgunner unit to give the Regiments 2 5xman Archer detachments- useful for blocking LOS, harassing from the sides, claiming objectives having been ignored, etc.

I also like to Mount (ahem) all my characters on Barded Warhorses, it gives that little extra protection and a potential 14" charge out towards War Machines, lone characters, etc if your desperate.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah i tried to steer away from a static line of fire which is why i had a strong infantry core, i've changed my list slightly dropped the runefang, hellstorm and 10 swordsmen in each unit and added a unit of 5 outriders and two units of crossbowmen. I don't like to have static lines of fire but i think the real strength of the empire is being able to soften them down with firing before finishing them off with a charge from the greatswords and swordsmen supported by their halberdier detachments. Another reason as to why i have a number of detachments is because of them not causing panic.

I like my force to stay put lol which is why i have a battle standard bearer, along with my greatswords who are not only stubborn but immune to panic hopefully making them stay put if they receive a bad charge and wait for support in the way of the swordsmen and/or their detachments.

Elector Count
Full Plate Armour
Great weapon
Holy Relic

Captain
Battle Standard Bearer
Armour of Meteroric Iron

Wizard
level 2
Dispel Scroll
Wizard's Staff

Wizard
level 2
x2 Dispel Scrolls

20 Swordsmen- Detachments- 10 Halberdiers- 50, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command

20 Swordsmen- Detachments- 10 Handgunners- 80, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command

10 Crossbowmen
Marksmen

10 Crossbowmen
Marksmen

20 Greatswords- Detachments- 10 Halberdiers- 50, 10 Handgunners- 80
Full Command
Banner of Valor

5 Outriders
Musician
Champion

Great Cannon- 100

Great Cannon- 100

Total- 1997

Theres the new list i could remove two units of crossbomen and include a small unit of knights but they won't be inner circle.
What you think?

·
Registered
318 Posts
We agree on a fair few things.

Though I disagree that Empire win by softening and then charging the leftovers. What opponent is going to not only walk into a gunline but then get within charge range to let the Empire Regiments kick them when they're down?

No, a well set-up Empire line softens up the enemy as they approach, softens them up at point blanc range the turn before they can charge....then let the enemy charge, detachments counter-charge and win on static combat res. Leaving your next turn free to advance. Beating the enemy in their own turn is one of the unique abilities of the Empire Detachment system.

Can't really fault your army, though I'm still not a fan of static gunline units, especially detachments.

Here's the list I've been using for most of the year, as comparison:

2000pts

Characters

General- HW, full plate, shield, barded warhorse, Sword of Sig. 161
BSB- HW, full plate, barded warhorse, Standard. 97
Warrior Priest- HW, shield, heavy armour, barded warhorse. 110
Battle Wizard- HW, barded warhorse. 2xDispel scroll. Level 1. 129

Core

Knights- 5x 115

Swordsmen- 20x Full Command.145
-Archer Detachment 5x 40
-Free Company Detachment- 8x 40

Swordsmen 20x Full Command 145
-Archer Detachment 5x 40
-Free Company Detachment- 8x 40

Crossbowmen- 10x 80
Huntsmen- 10x 100

Special

Cannon 100
Outriders- 5x 105
Pistoliers- 5x 90

Greatswords- 18x Full Command. Banner- Immune to Panic. 260
-Halberdier Detachment- 9x 45
-Halberdier Detachment- 9x 45

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun 110

Total 1997

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My tactic with the handgunner detachments is to put them at the edge of the dployment zone with their parent units behind then if they get charged i can choose to flee leaving the unit stranded doesn't always work as the enemy uni can also choose to flee but it does mean however it gives me more turns to fire at it and my army can slowly advance. ofcourse not all the time though, do usually just allow them to charge my main unit and get gun downed and flanked charge at the same time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The problem with that is that it forces you to sit in your deployment zone for the entire game, not only boring but makes Panic and Fleeing a lot more damaging as units run straight of the board.

It does have merit though, and I can see now how you could get the charge with the Parent units (I've found most enemies are faster or I really would rather spend another turn shooting and then be charged).

I'd rather have the Handgunner units set up so that they can Stand and Shoot, possibly do some combat damage, be destroyed, then the Parents are in a position to the side and behind the Handgunners to charge the enemy after they've Overrun.

My tactics with my list are to advance the Parent units with the Counter-charge detachments 7" behind the front and to the side. The enemy knows if they charge head first that I will counter-charge and win on static CR unless they really do have some nasty units.
Archers initially block LOS to 'support' units and/or Parent regiment depending on enemy's firepower, then afterwards harass and annoy from the sidelines.

The 'support' elements of Crossbows, Helblaster, Outriders, etc are usually deployed on flanks, or a preferably a hill, to target stuff that is fast enough and/or scary enough to outflank or defeat the Parent Regiments.

By moving forward I'm taking the initiative, denying ground to the enemy in which to maneouver and extending the distance I might flee so increasing the odds of Rallying.

The Empire Detachment system is often ignored for pure Pope and Stankage, as it requires a little more thought- but it's that extra level of tactics that keeps Fantasy interesting for me.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i could adopt that strategy to i have three units with enough detachments to advance with covering fire from my handgunners if i have a hill to even better, this is roughly my second draft so i'll see how it goes and i can always adjust it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Aye, knowing when to advance is helpful too. Empire are one of those armies that is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Against say Orcs, Beastmen, Khorne- they're better than you in combat, so you'll get 1 maybe 2 turns of advance before it's smart to stop. Try for at least a first turn move, to distance from the board edge.

Dwarve's, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings- you best advance or they'll outshoot you or outflank you.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have two units of knights unpainted so i can always substitue the crossbowmen and a detahcment of handgunners or two to sacrifice range power for mobility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts