Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I don't know if this is actually a legal army. Honestly, it's probably not. Buuuut... I don't care.

Primary Detachment: Black Legion

Be'Lakor the Dark Master (Warlord)

Chaos Sorcerer
Lv 3, Mk of Tz, Disc, Last Memory of Yuranthos, Spell Familiar, Aura of Dark Glory, VotW

Thousand Sons
8+1

Thousand Sons
8+1

Heldrake
Baleflamer

Obliterators
x2, MoTz

Obliterators
x2, MoTz

Allied Detachment: Crimson Slaughter

Chaos Sorcerer
Lv 3, Mk of Tz, Disc, The Balestar of Mannon, Spell Familiar, Aura of Dark Glory

Thousand Sons
8+1

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sadly with Be'Lakor as your warlord your Thousand Sons don't count as troops so no it's not legal. It looks bloody awesome though!:grin:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Master of the Rubricae:
If a primary detachment includes a Sorcerer with the Mark of Tzeentch, Thousand Sons are troop choices instead of elites.

Nothing there mentions who needs to be the warlord, and technically, RAW, this counts for using 1k Sons in both detachments.

The legality issues involve Be'Lakor in Black Legion, and/or allying Crimson Slaughter with Black Legion.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Master of the Rubricae:
If a primary detachment includes a Sorcerer with the Mark of Tzeentch, Thousand Sons are troop choices instead of elites.

Nothing there mentions who needs to be the warlord, and technically, RAW, this counts for using 1k Sons in both detachments.

The legality issues involve Be'Lakor in Black Legion, and/or allying Crimson Slaughter with Black Legion.
Whoopsie forget I ever mentioned it!:grin: I haven't been reading up on the supplements which is clearly something I must do. In that case this army seems perfectly legal to me and according to what I've heard both CSM supplements are treated as CSM when looking at the allies matrix so imo there's no problem there either!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Seems legal to me as well. THOUGH GW kinda need to confirm that supplements can ally to each other as it says they use the CSM allies table for choosing allies. And it says CSM can ally with Black Legion or Crimson Slaughter and vice versa, so it should be good.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Yeah, I've put some thought into it and concluded that it ought to be legal. A self-serving conclusion, but if with both you use the CSM allies matrix and treat them like Battle Brothers, aren't they Battle Brothers by the transitive property?

The Black Legion codex has another minor point of congruence that can be argued for or against, but I see as arguing for:

Black Legion Supplement said:
A Black Legion army is chosen using the army list presented in Codex: Chaos Space Marines. It also has a series of supplemental rules (presented below) that can be used in addition to the material found in Codex: Chaos Space Marines. Note that you can only use the options from one codex supplement when choosing a detachment.
Emphasis added. Your primary detachment can only use one codex supplement; your allied detachment can only use one other.

As for Be'lakor... hmm. That's a harder knot to Gordian. Especially since the Black Legion books specifically says "is chosen using the army list in," not "is chosen using," so... unless if gets FAQed, I'm going to say it conflicts slightly, fuzzily with RAW. Just bring it up against somebody you might play--I would certainly allow it, but I can't speak for other players. And, uh, have an alternate list available, I guess.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really eager to find a way to put Be'lakor together with Thousand Sons, as a powerful Archmage/Daemon Prince. I went with Crimson Slaughter/Black Legion specifically so I could use the relics to make three distinct sorcerers out of it all. There's no transports for the army, but at least I have lots of psychic powers, and Rubrics are still pretty durable in general.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Let me start by saying I don't know if this is actually a legal army. Honestly, it's probably not. Buuuut... I don't care.
Legality aside, it looks to be a fun list.

I would think about somehow putting Ahriman into the list!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To do that would cost me Be'Lakor... though I could put one sorcerer in each squad, and MAYBE be able to infiltrate all three...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Personally i would take the primary as CS because then all those lovely things in the primary list have fear as well and make the allies into black legions. Means Belakor will have a party.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Necro'ing my own list, mostly because, with the rumors about how the Psychic Phase is shaping up in 6E... this went from a silly concept to something really feasible... 6 Sorcerers is a powerful Psychic Phase, not to mention a really powerful defense against opposing psykers.

The aspiring sorcerers will all end up with 2 powers each, because they can only roll one power, plus they get the free primaris. Be'lakor won't matter either way, since he Loremasters all of Telepathy. The downside is that my Divination Sorcerer can't have a bonus for staying entirely in Divination, since a Marked sorcerer must take at least one Tz spell. And going with that earlier suggestion of making CS my primary, that sorcerer has to be a Tz-mark to make the Rubrics troops...

But that's a LOT of telepathy being thrown around with all those dice. 13+d6?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
No DPs getting themselves Daemonology with spell familiar rerolls (assuming spell familiars don't get FAQed into terribleness)?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, I never even gave thoughts to the Daemonology lists yet. I was thinking from a more traditional standpoint of using existing Psyker powers.

On the other hand, the Sorcerer with the Lost Memory would be more 'disposable' than any other, as Level 4 with less-useful-than-Divination powers. Or heck, I could even new an Apsiring by letting him use extra dice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts