Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Around Draigowing... not something you hear every day, right?

Honestly, it's not very Draigowing, but I did add Draigo and some paladins, so credit where it's due. I love Draigo mostly because he's a strong character, and because I like the idea of having a truly powerful character leading a force of the supposedly greatest elite force in the galaxy. I don't care about the Wardhate... Plus, I really want to kit bash my own Terminator w/ sword and shield, and few other armies give me that opportunity.

So, with all that said... Tried for something that is kind of all-around... Can handle assault, has ranged firepower, anti-air... it's not VERY competitive, but shouldn't do horrible, either. I'm looking for critiques without full rewrites.

HQ (275pts)

• Lord Commander Draigo (275pts) Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Grand Strategy, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psyker (Mastery Level 2), The Aegis
    Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Psychic Communion, Sanctified Flame, Storm Bolter, Titan Sword, Storm Shield
Troops (1075pts)

• Draigo's Paladins (415pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
    Brotherhood Banner, Hammerhand, Holocaust, Narthecium, Nemesis Daemonhammer, 3x Nemesis Force Halberd, 5x Paladins, 2x Psycannon, 2x Storm Bolter
  • Grey Knight Strike Squad (330pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
    Hammerhand, Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Psycannon, 7x Storm Bolter and Nemesis Force Sword, Warp Quake
    • Justicar Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter
    • Razorback Psychic Pilot, The Aegis
      Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Assault Cannon
  • Grey Knight Strike Squad (330pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
    Hammerhand, Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Psycannon, 7x Storm Bolter and Nemesis Force Sword, Warp Quake
      Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Assault Cannon
Fast Attack (255pts)

• Stormraven Gunship (255pts) Assault Vehicle, Deep Strike, Power of the Machine Spirit, Psychic Pilot, Shadow Skies, The Aegis
    Fortitude, Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammunition, Twin Linked Assault Cannons, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
Heavy Support (390pts)

• Nemesis Dreadknight (195pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psyker (Mastery Level 1), The Aegis
    Dark Excommunication, Hammerhand, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Doomfist and Greatsword
  • Nemesis Dreadknight (195pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psyker (Mastery Level 1), The Aegis
    Dark Excommunication, Hammerhand, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Doomfist and Greatsword

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like a list that should be a lot of fun to field as well. One question at first glance; why the heavy psycannons instead of the typical heavy flamers?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't decide, to be honest. Thinking about it more, torrent flamers are probably more accurate with similar ranges to the psycannon. Would give me some points back that I'm not sure what to use them for...

If I drop the psycannons down and the paladin upgrades, maybe some div inquisitors?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made some minor tweaks to the list. Gave it a little bit more ranged strength. 2 Dreadknights might be overkill.

HQ (275pts)

• Lord Commander Draigo (275pts) Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Grand Strategy, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psyker (Mastery Level 2), The Aegis
    Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Psychic Communion, Sanctified Flame, Storm Bolter, Titan Sword, Storm Shield
Troops (1005pts)

• Draigo's Paladins (415pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
    Brotherhood Banner, Hammerhand, Holocaust, Narthecium, Nemesis Daemonhammer, 3x Nemesis Force Halberd, 5x Paladins, 2x Psycannon, 2x Storm Bolter
  • Grey Knight Strike Squad (295pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
      Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
  • Grey Knight Strike Squad (295pts) And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis
      Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
Fast Attack (255pts)

• Stormraven Gunship (255pts) Assault Vehicle, Deep Strike, Power of the Machine Spirit, Psychic Pilot, Shadow Skies, The Aegis
    Fortitude, Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammunition, Twin Linked Assault Cannons, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
Heavy Support (465pts)

• Dreadnought (135pts) Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psychic Pilot, Reinforced Aegis, The Aegis
    Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Autocannon, Twin Linked Autocannon
  • Dreadnought (135pts) Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psychic Pilot, Reinforced Aegis, The Aegis
    Fortitude, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Autocannon, Twin Linked Autocannon

·
Registered
261 Posts
Imho you either take a dreadknights "full kit" @ 260pts, or don't bother. (Unless you really like the model. A walking dreadknight is so very slow opposed to the "shunt/jumppack" version.)

My take on your list: (behind every choice you should ready "incredibly expensive")
HQ1- Draigo - good
TR1- Paladins - good
TR2- Strike Squad w/ razorback w/ psybolt ammo - good
(Consider taking rhino's. That'll protect you against hell drakes and you can still fire out with 2 psycannons. Drive them fast on T1 and start the midrange fire fight a little faster then footslogging it across the battle field.)
TR2- Strike Squad w/ razorback w/ psybolt ammo - good
FA1- Stormraven - I'd take this one cheap with multi-melta. Best AA in the game.
FA1- Stormraven - I'd take two. (Points come from saving some points and dropping the dreadknight.)
HS1- Dreadknight - I'd drop it. Too slow and you really need the extra stormraven.
HS2- Psyfle dreadnought - Good
HS3- Psyfle dreadnought - Good

Friend of mine played this and had great fun. Stormraven protect your expensive powerarmour from helldrakes while destroying them. Also the minstrike missiles play havoc with psykers (screamerstars, seercouncils, other grey knights, etc).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm all for making the Hopping Fiery Dreadknight, but I'm not sold on two Stormravens. My army's pretty expensive already, and the idea of starting even MORE of it off the table, and then having to zoom around... I dunno. Just not feeling it. Granted, if I took the one Raven and turned it into an AA 'tank', with a MM and Lascannon, then with the 50 points I get back, plus downgrading Razorbacks into Rhinos and Psycannons into Hvy Incinerators, I think I can afford the Teleporter on my Dreadknight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm all for making the Hopping Fiery Dreadknight, but I'm not sold on two Stormravens. My army's pretty expensive already, and the idea of starting even MORE of it off the table, and then having to zoom around... I dunno. Just not feeling it. Granted, if I took the one Raven and turned it into an AA 'tank', with a MM and Lascannon, then with the 50 points I get back, plus downgrading Razorbacks into Rhinos and Psycannons into Hvy Incinerators, I think I can afford the Teleporter on my Dreadknight.
I'd take the assault cannon over the lascannon every day of the week. 4 shots S6 rending is great against both AV12 flyers and sv2+ models. The multi-melta will do most AA/AT damage by getting within 12" 2d6 armour penetration range and AP1 bonus.

Most often when you saw (when you could still juggle around wounds) Draigo-wing the paladins would be maxed out. You "only" take 5 with draigo and walk them across the field... It's brave, it's bold... it's most likely suicide. But if you want this army, try to maximise your damage output.

HQ- Draigo [275]
EL- Paladins (5) w/ full kit [415]
TR- Strike Squad (10) w/ full kit and rhino [290]
TR- Strike Squad (10) w/ full kit and rhino [290]
FA- Stormraven w/ AC, MM [205]
FA- Stormraven w/ AC, MM [205]
HS- Psyfle dreadnought [135]
HS- Psyfle dreadnought [135]
32 models @ 1950pts

In that list I don't like the dreadnoughts. They have decent AT firepower and twin-linked thy may even snap-shot a flyer from the skies, but stormravens already own the skies, so a bit redundant. I'd take those 270pts and the 50 left over and take a 10 man interceptor squad full kit. That unit is so versatile. Turn one you can (side armour) kill light armour or mop up an entire unit. (With Grand Strategy they become a fast claiming unit.) They are a serious threat up close while your strike squads and paladins also close in. Force your opponent to make target priority mistakes.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I appreciate the ideas, IP, I'm not sure I want to go that route. I feel like you're very focused on your aerial support more than anything else, and while maybe I'll get burned by it, I don't want to be focused that much on anti-air. If I was going to do that, and not even bother using the 'raven as a transport, I'd probably skip the GK Raven entirely and run a Stormwing, and get the two 'talons in there instead.

I like the idea of the Psyrifle Dreadnoughts because they can offer fire support at long ranges, and even if they have low AP, s8 shots are going to force a lot of saves, and can hurt most any anti-tank I need to worry about on a small chassis. I've always been one for big guns at long ranges, and I know that's NOT how GK play, but at least I get a few units that can fill that role, while a fully kitted DK is very in my opponent's face. That works to my advantage because in my Mordrak army idea, I was going to run 2 Firehoppers, so it's one less unit I'd have to build or magnetize for different configurations.

I don't like the idea of footslogging 700 points of Terminators, even if they do have FNP... I'd rather deep strike them or fly them in on the 'raven. That just seems... foolish.

·
Registered
261 Posts
While I appreciate the ideas, IP, I'm not sure I want to go that route. I feel like you're very focused on your aerial support more than anything else, and while maybe I'll get burned by it, I don't want to be focused that much on anti-air.
Don't underestimate the power of the stormraven. It's nut just AA, it's all around good firepower. (Flying with AV12 ignore melta/fusion.) I was on the receiving end of two with my TauDar and those things can dominate the battlefield. Multi-melta and (rending) assault cannons also really hurt the current big-hitters (aka monstrous creatures).

But you know your own meta best, so it's your call. :good:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't underestimate the power of the stormraven. It's nut just AA, it's all around good firepower. (Flying with AV12 ignore melta/fusion.) I was on the receiving end of two with my TauDar and those things can dominate the battlefield. Multi-melta and (rending) assault cannons also really hurt the current big-hitters (aka monstrous creatures).

But you know your own meta best, so it's your call. :good:
I suppose at the end of the day, it's just a matter of how much is that firepower needed? Paladins have Rending Psycannons, Strike Squads do also. Do I really need MORE assault cannons flying around, or can I use those points towards other things? I would think that in an army of rending psycannons and force weapons, having another flying chassis for a couple of assault cannons isn't as heavily required to fight Monstrous Creatures. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of Flying Circus or Flyrant horde armies lately.

Honestly, I was more expecting people to say that I had too many point sin my paladin 'council' than worrying about the armored portions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Honestly, I was more expecting people to say that I had too many point sin my paladin 'council'
That's true, but pointing that out in a topic called "DraigoWing" is a bit daft isn't it? :grin:
It's like replying "play Tau" when someone asks advice on a "competitive orks list".

Enjoy your games!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Lord Commander Draigo
We know him, we need him.

5 Paladins (415pts)
Brotherhood Banner, Apothecary, Nemesis Daemonhammer, 3x Nemesis Force Halberd, 2x Psycannon
Nah.

10 Paladins with Brotherhood Banner, Apothecary, 2 Daemonhamers, 3 Halberds, Warding Stave, 4 Psycannons.

Grey Knight Strike Squad
Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Psycannon, Justicar with Halberd
Razorback
Psybolt Ammunition
Remove to make points for the Paladin changes.

Grey Knight Strike Squad (295pts)
Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Psycannon, Justicar with Halberd
Razorback
Psybolt Ammunition
Still not a huge fan - it's a pretty expensive way of getting some backfield Scoring.

Stormraven Gunship
Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammunition, Twin Linked Assault Cannons, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter
You have enough anti-infantry - Stormraven should have Assault Cannon and Multi-Melta and leave it at that, if you're going to bring one at all.

Psyfleman

Psyfleman
Needed.

Dreadknight
Heavy Psycannon and Nemesis Greatsword
Way too slow.

I'd remove the Stormraven, Strike Squad and Dreadknight in favour of Coteaz, a bunch of Warrior Acolytes or Psykers or Servitors with Plasma Cannons, and a unit of 5 Paladins with 2 Psycannons, Daemonhammer and Halberd.

I don't really get what the current list is doing - it's a weird, all-over the place mash of units, with a kind-of rock unit in the Paladins and Draigo but not enough of a rock to be that dangerous.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't really get what the current list is doing - it's a weird, all-over the place mash of units, with a kind-of rock unit in the Paladins and Draigo but not enough of a rock to be that dangerous.
Basically, the army was designed to be something of an 'all around' list. I already made the Mordrak Bomb which was pure gimmick, but I wanted something that could just... be. Not ultra tournament competitive, but a strong foundation 2000 pt list that could be a primary list, play and enjoy kind of thing. Some Psyfilemen for fire support, the Dreadknight just to cause mayhem (and figured out where to find the points to give it a Jump pack in later posts), Strike Squads to do pretty much everything, and then Draigo + 5 dropping out of the Raven.

I could see running Draigo + 10 certainly, but I thought that the 5 would be enough for a decent elite force jumping out of a plane and causing havoc. Dropping the 10 man strike team to find another 5 paladins seemed like too few models, even for me liking to run small amounts of models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts