Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first shot at making an army list. If anything isn't legal, please let me know.

HQ
Rune Priest - 125
Living Lightning, Jaws, Chooser of the Slain, melta bombs, Wolf Tooth Necklace

Rune Priest - 115
Jaws, Murderous Hurricane, melta bombs, wolf tooth, necklace

Troops

Grey Hunter Pack 1: 238 points
Wolf Guard with combi-melta, powerfist
8 Grey Hunters, melta gun, powerfist, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Grey Hunter Pack 2: 238 points
8 Grey Hunters, melta gun, powerfist, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Grey Hunter Pack 3: 253 points
9 Grey Hunters, melta gun, powerfist, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Elites

Wolf Scout Pack: 110
5 Wolf Scouts, melta gun, meltabombs

Wolfguard Pack: 305
4 w/ Terminator Armor and 2 wolf claws
1 w/ Terminator Armor, chainfist, assault cannon.
Drop Pod

Heavy Support

Long Fangs Pack: 215 points
1 Squad Leader, 5 Long Fangs with Missile Launchers
Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannon

Vindicator - 140
Extra Armor, Seige Shield

Vindicator - 140
Extra Armor, Seige Shield

Fast Attack

Land Speeder - 60
Multimelta

Land Speeder - 60
Multimelta

Total: 1999 pts.

The whole idea is to hit the enemy hard with the three Grey Hunter troops, with the rune priests riding shotgun with packs 1 and 2. The scouts will Behind Enemy Lines in and get rid of something nasty. The drop pod full of Termie Wolfguard will drop in close to cut some bad guys up and maybe take out some armor. The Longfangs are going to camp where they can rain down some missiles on the enemy with the razorback helping and moving them if they need to move. The 2 Vindicators are going to pop light armor or mobs until they get taken out (which I know will be early). Last, the landspeeders are going to hid behind the Rhinos, then rush in and pop armor.

Feel free to rip the list apart. Of course, +rep for any help.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
it looks pretty good for a first try.
i would drop the fist on the grey hunters, 25 points for one attack is too much. also you could use mark of the wulfen in your grey hunters. it add's lot's of attacks and rending which is pretty versatile and awesome.
scouts are cool on paper but when they come in they don't really do that much. since they don't come in on turn 1 or 2 with any guarantee for 3 or 4 either they may end up just being a waste of points, although they do scare people away from the back line and with the vindicators you can kinda funnel them to the middle by putting them on the out side edges of the board so you can get the grey hunters in combat sooner than later.

the terminators are cool, it kinda feels like a rushing list and i like that, but i would switch their weapons up a bit to either have a cyclone missile launcher or heavy flamer and give the rest combi melta's or combi plasma's. that way when they come in they get their full shooting out and can still be scary in cc. i would do either plasma or flamers with the heavy flamers for horde, meltas and the flamer to be able to switch them up, or the missiles with plasma so they have range and get even scarier up close.

i would also consider dropping the heavy weapon guy or giving him missiles and putting him with the fangs so you can put a rune priest in terminator armor with them. if you ever face a lash prince you make it really easy to pick which unit needs to be continually lashed away with drop pod terminators. the rune priest gives them psychic protection and still gives them ranged threat, plus if you put the cyclone missiles with the long fangs you have 7 missiles that can still fire in two directions.

with vindicators you have to use them just right. running two is smart and they often enough pull most enemy fire, but you don't want them running up into the fray to be assaulted and destroyed and also they usually want to shoot what your assaulting already, with that short range it usually doesn't mesh well. but if you use them to pull fire and funnel your opponent into the center of the field they might not kill much but they can help you control your enemy's actions.

and finally with the speeders i would suggest considering heavy flamers on them as well as the multi melta. that way if all the armour is gone or your fighting bugs or something you still have a use for them. don't rely on them completely though as they usually die off too with AV10.

like i said to begin with your list looks good but i would mainly suggest the fist on the grey hunters, the rest is just preference and other options.

·
Registered
155 Posts
so something like this

rune priest
chooser of the slain
terminator armor
living lightning
murderous hurricane

rune priest
melta bombs
runic armour
jaws of the world wolf
murderous hurricane
chooser of the slain

scouts x5
melta bombs
melta gun

wolf guard x3
combi melta x3
fist x3

wolf guard x5
terminator armor
cyclone missiles
chain fist
2x wolf claws
combi melta x4
drop pod

grey hunters x8
MotW
melta
standard
rhino

grey hunters x9
MotW
melta
standard
rhino

grey hunters x9
MotW
melta
standard
rhino

Long Fangs x6
5x missiles
Razor back Lass TL Plass

Vindicator
Extra Armor
Seige Shield

Vindicator
Extra Armor
Seige Shield

Land Speeder
Multimelta
heavy flamer

Land Speeder
Multimelta
heavy flamer

thats 1999
i gave the RB lass and TL plasma just incase they got too close to them or you wanted to roll it up to mid field, otherwise you could keep the TL lass. the 3 strong WG go with the grey hunters, the rune priest in runic armor goes with the 8 man grey hunters unit. the other rune priest pods in with the terminators and the missile launcher from there goes to the fangs.

this is still sticking with the original feel of the list, i would normally want more long fangs personally.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would say drop the vindis and go with LFs with MLs. Tone down the RPs and just give them the most basic loadout. Then I would say you should drop the termis, they won't be able to assault when they come in so they best they could hope to do is take down 1 hard target and maybe get to the next turn with only moderately severe casualties. If you want some CC devils I say go with a unit of TWC. These bastards chew ceramite and piss prometheum.... Not really but you get the point, their bamf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I looked at a few of the comments, as well as talking with my friends, and changed a few things up.

HQ
Rune Priest - 120
Living Lightning, Jaws, Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Tooth Necklace

Rune Priest - 110
Jaws, Murderous Hurricane, wolf tooth, necklace

Troops
Grey Hunter Pack 1: 228 points
8 Grey Hunters, melta gun, Mark of the Wulfen, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Grey Hunter Pack 2: 228 points
8 Grey Hunters, melta gun, Mark of the Wulfen, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Grey Hunter Pack 3: 243 points
9 Grey Hunters, melta gun, Mark of the Wulfen, wolf standard
Rhino Transport

Elites
Wolf Scout Pack: 110
5 Wolf Scouts, melta gun, meltabombs

Wolfguard Pack: 260
3 w/ Terminator Armor and 2 wolf claws
1 w/ Terminator Armor and wolf claw
1 w/ Terminator Armor, chainfist, assault cannon.

Heavy Support
Long Fangs Pack: 215 points
1 Squad Leader, 5 Long Fangs with Missile Launchers
Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannon

Land Raider Redeemer - 240

Vindicator - 125
Seige Shield

Fast Attack
Land Speeder - 60
Multimelta

Land Speeder - 60
Multimelta

Total: 1999 pts.

I got rid of a lot of random add ons (mainly the melta bombs on a lot of guys) and the 2nd Vindicator to get the Land Raider for the Wolfguard. I know that one Vindicator is going to draw a ton of fire, but I am hoping that it will keep the fire off my rhinos and Land Raider for long enough to get my guys in. I picked the Redeemer because it can chew up infantry, hopefully leaving my Wolfguard with mop-up duty.

Any thoughts?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
One vindi is pointless, you need to to be at least moderatly effective. If you are going to use a raider to move . your terminators I would suggst you go with a LRC. I would still suggest you go with TWC as your CC unit since they are cheeper than that term raider combo. Like others have said, I would suggest you drop those scouts since they really won't do all that much damage. HF on the speeders.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Make the Land Raider a Dedicated Transport for the WG. Don't put PF/combi on your Wolf Guard in squads. PW/Melta bomb is enough, and doesn't slow you down and lose you 2 attacks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Make the Land Raider a Dedicated Transport for the WG. Don't put PF/combi on your Wolf Guard in squads. PW/Melta bomb is enough, and doesn't slow you down and lose you 2 attacks.
but you lose fist attacks and a melta. not worth it. not for a S4 power weapon. if your going to take the fist away drop the melta bomb and make it a frost blade so it's at least S5. i still say it's not worth it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts