Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. So I'm new to Warhammer 40k and I've built my first list. I want it to be as fluffy as possible and semi-competitive. I really like the idea of flamer/melta heavy lists, and I was pretty ecstatic when I realized what the Salamanders could do. I tried to keep my army mobile, whilst avoiding bikes and speeders since they're not something the Salamanders would use (correct me if I'm wrong). Advice and criticism are much appreciated! So here it is..

Vulkan
Command Squad (5) w/ Flamers (5)
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon
[360]

Master of the Forge
[90]

Tactical Squad (10) w/ Flamer, HF, Combi-Flamer
Rhino
[200]

Tactical Squad (10) w/ Flamer, HF, Combi-Flamer
Rhino
[200]

Sternguard Veterans (5) w/ Combi-Melta (5)
Rhino
[205]

Sternguard Veterans (5) w/ Combi-Melta (5)
Rhino
[205]

Venerable Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta, HF
[180]

Venerable Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta, HF
[180]

Ironclad Dreadnought w/ HF (2)
[190]

Ironclad Dreadnought w/ HF (2)
[190]

2000 points right on the dot. The idea would be to drop the 2 venerable dreads and an ironclad to take out any tanks that might shoot my rhinos as they move up the board. Hopefully Vulkan and the other ironclad comes in turn 2 or 3 to support the dreads (if they survive turn 1). Tac squads in rhinos are for objectives/support and the sternguard in rhinos are there to hunt tanks or help with any high toughness units.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Salamanders have less fast attack units than the average chapter, so they're not completely without bikes and speeders. As long as you're not running a pure bike army or similar you shouldn't be afraid of being un-fluffy.

I'm not massively familiar with lists at 2000 points, but hopefully the following will be helpful:

Sternguard with meltas need to be really close to be effective, either drop pod them in or replace them. Attack bikes would be better for mobile anti-armour support.

You could probably use more scoring units at 2000 points.

Tactical squads can't take heavy flamers.

You don't have any anti air support, and your ven dreads are not very mobile for this purpose. A few flyers could really ruin your day.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's certainly a good start but there's a few issues.

Firstl, you have too many dreadnoughts in your list. You can have a maximum of 3 unless you're taking a master of the forge.

Sternguard-wise, personally I'd swap out 2 combi-meltas for 2 heavy flamers per squad and stick them in drop pods.

Also, as V said, you've got no AA options so I'd consider a hunter and/or storm talon to

I'd take our suggestions and re-jig your list a bit and we'll take it from there.

:)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Firstl, you have too many dreadnoughts in your list. You can have a maximum of 3 unless you're taking a master of the forge.
There is a MOTF in his list :p

I bought a stormtalon on Jams advice and it's a really nice unit - fairly cheap and it can fill a lot of roles with it's various loadouts. Interceptor can be a problem with it's weak armour, but if you're bringing pods down in reserve as well it gives them a number of targets to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i played a game to get a feel for the units and what they can do.. I revised my list a little to look like this

Vulkan
[190]

MotF
[90]

Tactical Squad
Melta, HF
Rhino
[195]

Tactical Squad
Melta, ML
Rhino
[200]

Tactical Squad
Melta, ML
Rhino
[200]

Assault Terminators
[200]

Venerable Dread
MM, HF
Drop Pod
[170]

Ironclad Dread
HF x2
Drop Pod
[180]

Ironclad Dread
HF x2
Drop Pod
[180]

Predator
TL Lascannon
Side TL Lascannon
[145]

Land Raider Redeemer
[240]

Comes out to 1990 points

I'd put Vulkan with the 5 termies in the landraider. I know you mentioned flyers could ruin my day with the last list.. is there anything I can do without in this list that would allow me to take some anti-air units? I want to keep the 3 dreads in drop pods so that 2 come down turn 1. I found that just one dread coming down doesn't really do much. The only thing I was thinking I could do without would be the predator? suggestions?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you dropped the pred you could take 2 hunters for the same price, or a kitted out stormtalon. You could also look at dropping the 3rd tactical squad for some scouts to free up some points. If you have a MOTF you can bolster a ruin and they are pretty survivable little bastards to sit on home objectives.

That would give you enough points for an aegis defence line/stormtalon and a hunter which should give you pretty decent AA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like that idea actually.. thanks a lot. I fixed it to look like this..

Vulkan
[190]

MotF
[90]

Tactical Squad (10)
Melta, HF
Rhino
[195]

Tactical Squad (10)
Melta, HF
Rhino
[195]

Scout Squad (10)
Sniper x10
Camo Cloak x10
[140]

Assault Terminators
[200]

Venerable Dreadnought
MM, HF
Drop Pod
[170]

Ironclad Dreadnought
HF x2
Drop Pod
[180]

Ironclad Dreadnought
HF x2
Drop Pod
[180]

Land Raider Redeemer
[240]

Hunter
Hunter Killer Missiles
[80]

Hunter
Hunter Killer Missiles
[80]

This is 1940 points. I have 60 left over to use for upgrades and such. Vulkan would go with the terminators inside the Land Raider as a dedicated transport, 2 dreadnoughts would drop in turn 1 and my hunters would take out any flyers/tanks. I checked around and found that dedicated transports dont take up a FOC slot so I'm 99% sure this list is legal. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'd take some thunder hammers and shields for your termies and pick up some better weapons for your sergeants to take advantage of the master crafting. Looks like a good fluffy and effective list though :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i 2nd varakir on the TH/ss in the assault termie squad. I have done a similar tactic with my old salamander list. it was 1500 and i didnt have stern guard. I had 6 TH/SS assault termies with Vulkan He'stan and they went up against the Space wolves calvary units and my GOD they tore through em like butter :grin:

Also i drop a Squad of Sternguard like this:

Sternguard Veteran Squad 345
10x man
2x heavy flamer
2x combi-flamer , 4x combi-melta
-Drop Pod 35

I Drop em in and Combat Squad em. It's hard to get an optimal Flaming/ and tank busting target in 1 spot, but maybe you can pop an opponents Land Raider/ Ghost Ark and then INCINERATE the insides! I played one game with 1 heavy flamer against an ork army and i DESPERATELY wished i had a 2nd heavy flamer instead of a combi-flamer. Also the heavy flamer at Str 5 AP4 helps you clear out blob squads of Necron warriors which i regularly play against.

Also, you said you're relatively new so a note about scouts.
I used to play em in a squad of 7 in cover on my "home" objective and that's all i ever needed. Most shots wont land, but you'll get a couple that rend/hit and that's all you need. And if you lack anti air you can always ML Flakk missile in that squad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts