Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm fairly new and I've been running this list for a couple of months. I've actually had pretty good success so far except against drop pod heavy Blood Angels. I'd appreciate any critique or feedback folks offer. Thanks!

HQ:

• 1x Farseer: Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones
  • 1x Farseer: Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear

Elite:

• x5 Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent w/ SL & SC
  • x7 Howling Banshees + Exarch w/ mirror swords, Acrobatic and Warshout in Wave Serpent w/ BL and SC

Troops:

• 9x Dire Avengers + Exarch with 2 SC +Bladestorm in Wave Serpent with BL + SC
  • 5x Pathfinders
  • 5x Pathfinders

Fast:

x6 Warp Spiders + Exarch with x2 Death Spinners

Heavy:

• x3 War Walkers w/ x2 SL's
  • x4 Dark Reapers + Exarch with Crack Shot and Tempest Launcher
  • x1 Wraithlord w/ x2 flamer, SL and EML

=2000 even

I run the Guide/Doom Farseer with the Avengers and the Doom/Fortune one with the Banshees in what I call the "Banshee Bomb". I generally point that Wave Serpent at whatever long range shooty stuff my opponent has and let the Banshees do what they do best. Doom helps because of their low strength and Fortune helps their survivability. I use the 2 groups of Pathfinders to sit on objectives with their 2+ cover save and/or target the big stuff with rending on 5 or 6.

The rest of the army is built for death by a thousand shots. It's built to drop so many shots on you and force so many saves that eventually you crack. The Wraithlord and Dark Reapers take care of the hard to reach or hard to kill stuff.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What sort of critisism are you looking for? Do you want this list to be a competitive/tournament grade list? Do you want some tweaks and advice on synergies?

Overall thoughts:

Either way, I'd find the points to turn one of those farseers into Eldrad. He's truly killer. 3 powers a turn, one of which is a double, and being able to use any power you want is amazing, especially against armies with potent anti-psyker stuff where you'll need a few tries to get stuff through. Aaaaand on top of that you get his divination. 2-4 units getting a scout move (even warwalkers, for those times when you want to move them thaaaat much further).

I generally prefer executioners to mirrorswords on banshee exarchs. Yes, doom helps the mirrorswords more, but the executioner gets more benefit from the charge and is generally going to wound a lot more things.

Only taking 1 unit of fire dragons sounds like would be painful. I'd generally cram two into any 1750 point list I played, but it's really your call. I'd certainly up the count to 6. With 6 you're extremely likely to destroy most vehicles and reasonably likely to destroy a Land Raider.

For the rest of your army... going half mech seems like a waste. You've got 3 troops choices in 2k points, and 2 of them are footsloggers that are very vulnerable to assaults and flamers. Your heavy support unit features a move or shoot unit and a biiig, slow unit. My battle plan with Eldar usually involves spending large amounts of time running away until I can take control of the battle, but then I play all strategy games the way I play Blue control decks in MTG, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Aaaaand on top of that you get his divination. 2-4 units getting a scout move (even warwalkers, for those times when you want to move them thaaaat much further).
Sorry this is wrong, you get to reposition D3 units in your deployment zone, not get a free scout move, war walkers are the exception, they do however get a scout move.

With that said i agree you might need more Fire Dragons in a 2k list, also drop the pathfinders. You could spend the point on somthing more usful, say Dire Avengers or some Jetbikes led by a Warlock with embolden.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Eh, it's not a scout move, but it's just as useful. As an eldar player I'd just use scout moves for flank denial rather than doing something aggressive like moving into my opponent's deployment zone anyways. I forget that I should stick to similes rather than metaphors when online.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bah. Metaphors breath life into the English language; avoiding them would be like avoiding sarcasm. However, both tend tend to backfire when used online. I guess it's just a sign that I've been spending too much time in the real world. I shall have to fix that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I'm just playing for fun at local shops. Not very competitive and no tournaments. I've only been at it 3 months and the majority of that was building the army. Tournaments will come in the future.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've played around with trying to get Eldrad in there but struggle to find the points. I guess if I dropped the Pathfinders I could upgrade to him and get something else with remaining points. I typically use them to drop them on objectives but their killing power so far has been close to nill so it wouldn't break my heart to remove them. Problem is what to replace them with. I need troop choices and they are good and cheap objective squatters. I tried using jetbikes but struggled with them. The 12" shooting range is hard to use effectively, at least for me. More Dires would be nice but with their range they really need a Wave Serpent and that gets pricey.

I'll play with the list some based on your suggestions tonight and post what I come up with.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, if it were me I'd swap out the pathfinders for a pair of minimum-sized DA units, swap some HS choices for falcons and then use the DA to make the falcons scoring. Falcons are, for eldar, reasonable gunboats, and having them be scoring for those last few turns is choice.

Alternately you could make one of those pathfinder squads a minimum-sized, barebones bike unit and leave it in reserve. You could just have it there to make last-second turboboosts towards objectives.

The other thing to consider is that by swapping out those banshees for a squad of, say, 7 fire dragons with an exarch who has a dragon's breath flamer (with crack shot is becomes particularly nasty). Yes, you lose out on CC ability, but you can some massive anti-tank, get access to a heavy flamer and shave points off of your list.

No matter what I'd find a way to field runes of warding into the list. Other races get some nasty psyker units. RuWa makes this easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts