Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, now I don't play WYSWIG because of the cost that would be on a Nid player. But with an Apoc game only 2 days away, and with people outside my normal play group, I don't have a choice. While this greatly limits me, and takes all my many proxies out, I'm still left with a few options.

The Apoc game is going to be 7K plus a side.

Since I have slightly more than 2000 pts in models, I told the group I'm playing with that I'd bring 2000 pts.

As far as I know, I'm allying with Necrons. Not sure who else is playing on my side, but I know I'm facing Marines, Marines, and IG thus far. Not sure what else is showing up. Also keep in mind not many people have FW models in my area, so the chances of big stuff and what not are low.

I get payed Friday, and the Apoc game doesn't start till 11 AM.
So I'm considering picking up some models before hand. Biggest problem being that I need more metal models, and putting metal models together takes a while. I'll have to see what happens. For now, here's the list:

(For the sake of some kind of organization, I'll space it out in FoC just for visual sake.)

2000 exactly.
130 models.

I had a bunch of spore mines, but seeing as how I couldn't possibly deep strike them all within the 6 turns of game play, cut down the number of units.

HQ 150
Tyrant.
Venom Cannon, Scything Talons.
Shadow in the Warp, Extended Carapace, +1 BS.

HQ 262

Broodlord
Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Feeder Tendrils.
Retinue-
11 Genestealers

ELITE 111
3 Warriors
2 Scyth, 2 Rend, Venom Cannon, Death Spitter. Enhanced Senses on the one with the ranged weapons. Leaping all around.

ELITE 80
LICTOR

TROOPS 75
15 Spinegaunts

TROOPS 126
14 Termagaunts

TROOPS 117

13 Termagaunts

TROOPS 117
13 Termagaunts

TROOPS 110
11 Hormagaunts

TROOPS 100
10 Hormagaunts

TROOPS 100
10 Hormagaunts

TROOPS 42

3 Rippers w/ Leaping

TROOPS 42
3 Rippers w/ Leaping

TROOPS 114
6 Genestealers w/ Scuttlers

TROOPS 160
8 Genestealers w/ Scything Talons

FAST ATTACK 30

3 Toxin Spore Mines

FAST ATTACK 45
3 Bio Acid Spore Mines

HEAVY SUPPORT 65

Zoanthrope w/ Synapse and Warp Blast

HEAVY SUPPORT 153

Carnifex w/ Enhanced Senses, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Mace Tail, Fleshhooks.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Looks to me like you can make a pretty good list with these models, especially around the 1500pts level. What most Apoc players (that I've listened to) have to say is that they really don't want to see a ton of fast moving infantry on the table. I'm guessing that if you're not targeted by everyone on the first turn, you should have a pretty interesting game.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;D
Thanks Hespithe, I saw you lurkin in this topic and was hoping you'd post.
All the posts I've seen from you thus far are insightful.

The biggest problem I can see for me is my lack of synapse.
With only two 'Hard' synapse points (Tyrant and Zoan) I can see a lot of problems.
If I keep the Warriors back, then it wastes their CC prowess.
And I expect the Broodlord to earn his points and die early on, like he always does.

The only thing I can hope for is to buy a Tyrant/Zoanthrope/more Warriors before the game at hand. I'm also lacking a lot of heavy firepower.

I'm also limited by what I've modeled thus far.
For instance, the mace tail on the Fex? I only have it in my list because that's what's on him.
I modeled for the fun factor, and now I'm paying for it. :)

Here's to hoping that my partners have the firepower bit taken.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Hm, thanks. I appreciate that.

Ya know, with that many gribblies, and the fact that you are running in a team game, just let the other handle the massed firepower. And, well, if no one is capable of laying down defensive fire, just think of how many bodies will be in combat on turn three! A couple of Zoats would do wonders for your army. Also, combining units of Hormies and 'Gants so that you practically max out the numbers allowed in a unit will help with Synapse. This way, you'd not have to worry about keeping our synapse spread for so many units.

15 Spinegaunts
20 Termagants
20 Termagants
31 Hormagaunts
6 Rippers

The Stealers and the rest of your army operates very well outside of synapse, so no worries there. And, since these guys are so fast, you'll not need to worry about synapse for too long. They'll soon be in combat. The Psychological factor of having to face so many large units of bugs will make your opponent very nervous. If you can fit in 130pts for 2 more Zoats, I think that may be the best way to go.

Looking back at your first post, I'm thinking that Necrons are a great match for your army. They don't want to get into combat so can provide excellent close range covering fire for your advance. If a monolith arrives, it should likely deepstrike just ahead of your army, thus being able to transport/teleport Necron Warriors to help thin the enemy lines and give the enemy something else to think about. I like what I'm imagining would be a very very competitive game plan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That list is awesome, nids scare the hell outa me (especially genestealers and broodlords) and you have great balance of waesome attacking and shooty models, it's amazing, hope ya do awesomely well with it

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I really would like some more Zoanthropes, but I only have one.
Granted I can buy two more before the game, I would still have to model it before the game started.
Oh well, just take a few hours for the glue to dry on 'em.

I'm planning on getting two more Zoans before the game, and maybe a few Raveners or Gargoyles or something.

We'll have to see how well I fare.
I think I'll take my camera to get pictures, it's definitely something to remember, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Do you have a source for plasticard? If so, or if you are one of those silly individuals that save all the clear plastic blister covers from your purchases, you can make your own gargoyle wings. Just snip them into any appropriate shape you choose (look online at different bugs to find a shape you like), and apply them to the first shoulder joints of your Termagants, and voila!... Gargoyles! My son has 28 made in this fashion and they are quite the schizzle when it comes to getting your opponent on edge from turn one.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Nah, not at all. Take your plasticard and place it into very hot water for several seconds. Lift it out with the back of a large spoon. The plasticard should form to that shape. Now, you'll just need to trim to size. Or, use the shape of the spoon to give the bug that 'beetle' carapace look. With a little heat, either from hot water or from an open flame, you can form the gentle curves of wings. Just keep in mind that most insect wings are kinda stiff and straight. The idea of more 'draconic' wings that you find on the GW Gargoyles just seems a bit 'off' to me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose you're right, I'm just used to the draconic look myself.
At any rate, I have my army lined up in front of me and good god its so big. ;D

I can just imagine, with the addition of a winged Tyrant and gargoyles, how scary it would look. I have the wings picked out for my winged Tyrant from an old Mageknight figure.

·
Registered
598 Posts
looks very nice and sound
i would love to have a game with that, but i guess there is the odd "distance" haha
terrible beasty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nids and Apocalypse - kinda like cheese'n'crackers - two things that go well together.

But seriously, the thing about Apocalypse that I've found is that moving tons of infantry is not a lot of fun, especially when people start flailing around with 10" templates - and you'll be head down moving for so long, that it'll be tough to watch the rest of the battle as well... as for your list, as you said - it's all the figs you've got. I would have suggested more Carnifex (afterall, one can never have enough of those... or hierodules, but that's another story.) or Tyrants, but you deal with what you have at the time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The game began with my army, a Necron army and a Chaos army facing down two different chapters of space marines, and a player whos entire army was two warhound titans, two baneblades, and two whirlwinds.

We had a second Nid player who was using two strategic assets to bring in his army in two halfs on any side of the board. We were going to use a third to move my entire army to the back, where there Whirlwinds were left defenseless with two objectives.

Basically, we got screwed over in the No Mans land, and were given a very small side for three armys to fit into. On top of that, they got first turn, and their two titans and two baneblades won the game for them. After their first shooting phase, more than half my army was gone, and our Necrons lost all their Immortals, our Chaos guy lost his tanks and his Defiler.

We had very little left capable of destroying the Titans.
Or, quite frankly, very little at all.

Case in point.
Titans are cheap as hell unless both sides have them.
First turn matters.
No Man's land should never be allowed to be a small corner and then the rest of the board for the enemy to deploy on.

Seriously, we had three green boards set up to constitute the field, and when people came by, they thought we were playing on two because the third was so empty. Basically, we ended up with half a board and a sliver of another, while they had 1 full board, 1 board with a sliver missing, and half the last board to deploy in. The third board had the Whirlwinds, but the rest of us were locked in, 12 inches away from their army.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Sounds to me like the game was stacked in their favor all along. Are you sure that the spirit of the game was considered before the first dice were rolled? I have a baneblade, but I'd never use it if the other side had nothing to counter it. Using all of those war machines and titans when the opponent had nothing with which to counter them was a bit underhanded. Personally, I'd seriously consider the need to invite that player to the next game.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We all agreed shortly into the game that we were screwed.
Even the Titan player said that he hadn't wanted to play with them, but rather someone else on their team wanted him to field them to see what they could do.

In all honesty, I think we still could have taken out the Titans with what we had left, but none of the rest of my team was interested in playing anymore.

We had a Monolith that just deepstriked a foot or two behind the Titans, and with all the Genestealers coming from my friends army we could have rended the Baneblades.

But then we'd be killed by the other two armies.

Our side just agreed to continue because of how long setup had taken.
We never even finished our first turn before my team picked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, i also play tyranids, but i recently set up my Apoc. List, just basically consists of 4 'Fexs, 2 built for close combat (scything talons and crushing claws) and 2 built for shooting (one with twin, twin linked devourers and another with 2 barbed stranglers). Each one of them is kitted out with all the obvious upgrades, each with regeneration, now thats deadly.

Its a really easy list to play, only got 4 models to look at, send 3 up (both combat ones and the devourer one) and leave the strangler one to shoot, so far it has been very effective, or im just playing against really un-organized players, the regeneration seems to help me alot, as well.

With an army like this tail weapons and barbed stranglers go a long way.

And, somewhat off topic, in my most honest opinoin, Venom Cannons are f*cking useless on a carnifex, haha, im just choked a modeled a few of my bugs with these non-glancing pee-shooters. A barbed strangler is only Str. 8 sure, but it has the same range AND can penetrate. In a game of apocolypse theres going to be armour that u need to penetrate and the chances of being able to hit two vehicles at once (in an obviously crowded deployment zone) is pretty good. Barbed Stranglers FTW!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
With an army like this tail weapons and barbed stranglers go a long way.
And, somewhat off topic, in my most honest opinoin, Venom Cannons are f*cking useless on a carnifex, haha, im just choked a modeled a few of my bugs with these non-glancing pee-shooters. A barbed strangler is only Str. 8 sure, but it has the same range AND can penetrate. In a game of apocolypse theres going to be armour that u need to penetrate and the chances of being able to hit two vehicles at once (in an obviously crowded deployment zone) is pretty good. Barbed Stranglers FTW!
You do realize that having two Barbed Stranglers makes them twin linked?
You don't get two shots, just one that rerolls to hit.

And I'd much rather have 2 strength ten shots, and one large blast template shot than one large blast template shot that rerolls to hit.

Hit with the Strangler first, then use the VC to pick off the guys that the other player didn't want dead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nids have the apoc battle formation 'endless swarm'... if not mistaken you need 6+ broods of gaunts maxed at 20 each. There are some special rules for having the formation too. Can't remember the exact rule but I know its something about 'if the opposing player rolls more than 6 6s in his shooting phase, all his shooting is negated for that round becoz he's run out of ammo... the rule is called 'bodies over bullets' or something like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts