Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first real 40k list after a false start about a year ago. I have my finger on the trigger of a large order of 40k minis and this list will form the bulk of my initial collection. As far as tactics this isn't a mechanized list though I'm not at all opposed to making changes. I don't know how much the low model count will hurt me. I would appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Comes to 1955 points, 45 left over for I don't know what.

EDIT: I have no problems with moving this farther away from being a pure DW list but I do want Belial and a healthy number of terminators.

HQ
Belial-thunder hammer, storm shield 190
DW Command Squad-Apothecary, Champion, Land Raider 535

ELITES
2x Dreadnought-each with ML & TLLC 270

TROOPS
DW Terminators-x10 2w/ CLMs 490
DW Terminators-x5 1w/ PC 235
DW Terminators-x5 1w/ PC 235

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
As a basic, stock, out of GW order army, it does the job. There's nothing overly amazing to it, there's nothing anything really bad about it. I can deffinitely see the 'this is what I have because it's what comes out of the box' feel to it.

Many people suggest that you stick with at least one dedicated close combat squad of Terminators; Belial's squad would be great for that. I'm personally not a fan of swapping out his hammer, only because his sword is different from most swords. Let him enjoy his tiny perk and give a stock Terminator the hammer. That said, I don't pay attention to the command squads much.

I can assume you're using the plasma cannons for anti-TEQ, but frankly, if you have the points, the CMLs are better in general. No chance of exploding, more versatile, better strength. only the AP is where they fail. In addition, if you really wanted you could put a CML on the same mode as a TH/SS.... giving you that slightly better save, the concussive hammer, and still have the same firepower output.

Personally I'd say that's a great use of the Dreadnoughts; they're cheap and efficient tank hunters. I'd suggest that as my first Conversion possibility in the future, you go to a bits place and buy up a few of the Quad Guns from the Aegis line and cut them in half, to let you convert some with paired Autocannons. They are pretty impressive for killing almost anything under AV13.

Speaking of Aegis, you've got NO anti-air. Termies behind an Aegis seems silly. If you ever want to move on into other models, check Forgeworld; they have the Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought, which is the big brother of the stock one; 200 points gets you 2 TL-Autocannons, a Cyclone launcher, an anti-air mount AND a invul save, on heavier armor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I will go with the additional CMLs.

Lack of anti-air was something I had considered but I couldn't come up with a solution for it. That Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought sounds pretty nasty. Pretty expensive too, I might be going with the conversion if I go that route for AAA.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thanks man. I will go with the additional CMLs.

Lack of anti-air was something I had considered but I couldn't come up with a solution for it. That Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought sounds pretty nasty. Pretty expensive too, I might be going with the conversion if I go that route for AAA.

My conversion of choice is the Dreadknight. I tear the arms off at the elbows and install weapon arms.

·
Registered
945 Posts
On your command squad you can get the halberd of caliban incredibly cheap - its like a +2 STR ap2 weapon without unwieldy? yes please. (From what I remember). That should definitely be included, considering that squad will be your close combat unit and you have loads of points to spare.
-Arcticor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip, Arcticor. Sounds like a good idea to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts